MBB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by Board Mod, February 28, 2005, 11:18:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gregory Sager

"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Tko244227

As far as the conversation about D3 kids returning for a 5th season, it will be really tough for a lot of kids to do. Many kids and their families have had to pay a fortune to afford the tuition or take out significant loans. It's very easy if your on scholarship to make the choice to come back to school especially if your now getting free graduate school but as usual D3 kids get the short end of the stick in this regard. The kid who comes from a family  that can afford to pay for an extra year will probably do it but if you can't afford it then your kinda screwed.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: Tko244227 on April 07, 2021, 12:46:41 PM
As far as the conversation about D3 kids returning for a 5th season, it will be really tough for a lot of kids to do. Many kids and their families have had to pay a fortune to afford the tuition or take out significant loans. It's very easy if your on scholarship to make the choice to come back to school especially if your now getting free graduate school but as usual D3 kids get the short end of the stick in this regard. The kid who comes from a family  that can afford to pay for an extra year will probably do it but if you can't afford it then your kinda screwed.

The other end of it is kids on financial aid.  Typically that aid has time limits on it, but a lot of schools have extended aid to a fifth year as a way of maintaining enrollment, so you've got some kids who may have not been able to afford a 5th year under different circumstances that are able to because of COVID.  It's really going to be very context specific for every player.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

Titan Q

I agree with you -- finances are a huge part of it. 

I think a good percentage of the WIAC studs are returning.  Eddie Muench at Oshkosh is...I think the Platteville seniors are as well.  With WIAC costs being significantly less than most of the private D3s, could be a big advantage for the WIAC...for the next several years (FR, SO, and JRs have an extra year too if they want it). 

I do know many CCIW seniors are returning -- Jake Rhode (Elmhurst), Cade Alioth (Wheaton), Nyameye Adom (Wheaton), and some others.

IWU's 4 seniors are all moving on.

It totally comes down to each kid's personal situation (finances, academics, job situation, etc).

Titan Q

Current HS seniors - incoming D3 recruits - are in a bit of a tough spot at many programs.  A lot of these HS class of 2021 kids will end up stuck behind guys a year or two ahead of them who end up using the waiver.

Tko244227

I do agree Bob that the Wiac school have a big advantage because of lower tuition rates

iwu70

Q, very much enjoyed your interview to Olivia Lett.  Thank you.

All best for Spring, to all the chatsters here.  Get that vaccine. 

'70

iwu70

Today is IWU's big "All In" for IWU fundraising day.  I hope all IWU alums and sports fans will make a gift, support the University in a general way and also support the team or athletic program endeavor of their choice.  Surely coming out of the pandemic, all the CCIW institutions need greater support and financial strength.  IWU is no exception.  Go TITANS!   

IWU'70 ("still crazy after all these years" . . . still loyal too, after all these years!).  ms

Tko244227

Well everyone in this room, just know that your basketball teams/programs will continue to be better than Millikin moving forward. Without saying names or specifics they have completely botched their coaching search. As an alum it's honestly embarrassing how the process was handled and the salary they are offering potential candidates. Several people have now either pulled their name out or were offered the job and declined it. It really disgraceful and I haven't seen a coaching search in a long time that has been handled this poorly. There is a clear lack of professionalism and quite frankly a clear showing of incompetence.

lmitzel

Quote from: Tko244227 on April 13, 2021, 12:26:26 PM
Well everyone in this room, just know that your basketball teams/programs will continue to be better than Millikin moving forward. Without saying names or specifics they have completely botched their coaching search. As an alum it's honestly embarrassing how the process was handled and the salary they are offering potential candidates. Several people have now either pulled their name out or were offered the job and declined it. It really disgraceful and I haven't seen a coaching search in a long time that has been handled this poorly. There is a clear lack of professionalism and quite frankly a clear showing of incompetence.

In light of this... I don't know what to make of the Big Blue promoting Kramer Soderberg to the top chair.
Official D-III Championship BeltTM Cartographer
2022 CCIW Football Pick 'Em Co-Champion
#THREEEEEEEEE

Tko244227

Really can't understand it. How does someone who has never had a winning season as an assistant in  this league get a head job . Amazing ! I thought you prove your ready to be a head coach by doing well as an assistant. I've never met and don't know the guy but the process itself was very poorly handled and as an alum I'm ashamed.

Next Man Up

Quote from: Titan Q on April 03, 2021, 07:40:15 PM
Quote from: Ultimate Titan Fan on April 02, 2021, 04:02:34 PM
Quote from: Titan Q on March 20, 2021, 06:08:04 PM
IWU commit Nathan Valentine was named Captain of the 2021 Daily Herald Fox Valley All-Area Team.

https://basketball.dailyherald.com/sports/20210320/wait-worth-it-for-genevas-valentine?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

I was just looking at his year highlights video. Insane. Check out his 3 pt shots. I bet a third are from NBA range.

He looks like a really talented kid.

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/13928095/6050b88a8cd40108e8126f4b

Not just looks like, is.

But, it seems there's a big but...........

But with Lambesis, Noe, Yoder, Schumacher, Heflen, Sroka, and Heaton already there (with each one having at least two years of eligibility remaining with the extra Coronavirus year), plus possibly other equally talented fellow freshmen, might any appreciable PT not be quite a ways over the horizon?
So young hero, ask yourself............................Do you want to go to college, get a good education, and play (basketball)(football), or do you want to go to college, get a good education, and watch (basketball)(football)? 🤔 😏

Don't surround yourself with yourself. 🧍🏼‍♂️(Yes)

Next Man Up

Quote from: Titan Q on April 07, 2021, 01:45:16 PM

I agree with you -- finances are a huge part of it. 

I think a good percentage of the WIAC studs are returning.  Eddie Muench at Oshkosh is...I think the Platteville seniors are as well.  With WIAC costs being significantly less than most of the private D3s, could be a big advantage for the WIAC...for the next several years (FR, SO, and JRs have an extra year too if they want it). 

I do know many CCIW seniors are returning -- Jake Rhode (Elmhurst), Cade Alioth (Wheaton), Nyameye Adom (Wheaton), and some others.

IWU's 4 seniors are all moving on.

It totally comes down to each kid's personal situation (finances, academics, job situation, etc).

Overheard in downtown Naperville today...............
With regard to CCIW seniors returning, chances are apparently good that NCC's Blaise Meredith, Matt Helwig, and Andy McLaughlin will be back. Will Clausel is possible, but leaning no. Matt Smietanski is venturing into the corporate world, and Mike Pollack is headed into the wild blue yonder in an Air Force fighter jet.
So young hero, ask yourself............................Do you want to go to college, get a good education, and play (basketball)(football), or do you want to go to college, get a good education, and watch (basketball)(football)? 🤔 😏

Don't surround yourself with yourself. 🧍🏼‍♂️(Yes)

HAMBO

Quote from: Tko244227 on April 13, 2021, 03:28:25 PM
Really can't understand it. How does someone who has never had a winning season as an assistant in  this league get a head job . Amazing ! I thought you prove your ready to be a head coach by doing well as an assistant. I've never met and don't know the guy but the process itself was very poorly handled and as an alum I'm ashamed.

Thank you for your candid remarks relative to the process that resulted in the promotion of Assistant Coach Kramer Soderberg to head Millikin basketball coach.  Your point of concern for promoting a coach who for 6 years has been associated with a team with a losing record, is valid.  However, I think there may be some reason for optimism.

You admit that you have "never met and don't know the guy" -- but I have.  He is a young man with great character and leadership.  Any former player (and parents) that I have talked with, all have had a positive experience at Millikin with "Coach Sode".  Win or lose, the program will be done the right way and will bring respect to both Millikin and the CCIW. As a player, both in high school and in college, he was a winner and a leader.  He loves Millikin nd Decatur.  His father has been a successful college coach. He has developed significant relationships with high school coaches.

That being said, to prove his worthiness, he must win -- and he knows that.

To get to know Kramer Soderberg you need to read the book he has written titled:  "Fill Your Cup For Christ" (A spiritual journal sown and grown through sports).

Titan Q

Of all of the #d3hoops MBB players who played 4+ games in '20-21, only two averaged 15.0+ pts, 10.0+ reb, and shot 60%+ FG:

* Kameron Clark, 6-6 Jr C (Cairn), 18.9/15.5/.602

* Matt Leritz, 6-7 Jr C (Illinois Wesleyan), 16.1/10.1/.600