BB: D-3 Players in minor leagues/MLB

Started by Spence, September 11, 2007, 11:21:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: BoBo on May 31, 2008, 11:27:12 PM
Quote from: Ralph Turner on May 31, 2008, 10:57:46 PM
Baseball Almanac-
Name the Columbia alumnus who replaced the Catholic alum at first base!  ;)

Oh, come now Ralph...can't we get a little more difficult than that? I imagine more than a few of these young whipper-snappers on here knows the name Walter Clement Pipp and that obscure guy from Columbia, Lou something or other!!  ;)

I say, really test us with a hard one!!

All right, though I can't find where he attended college (if, in fact, he did), who succeeded Gehrig in the Yankee line-up?

janesvilleflash

If you can't ignore an insult, top it; if you can't top it, laugh it off; and if you can't laugh it off, it's probably deserved.

BoBo

He's noteworthy for another reason in MLB history.  He was the first player ever tested for a non-performance-enhancing drug (based on a rumor) way back in 1943. He was eventurally cleared of any infraction.  But, spent nearly the rest of his life trying to discover who finked him out, w/o success.  How's that?
I'VE REACHED THAT AGE
WHERE MY BRAIN GOES
FROM "YOU PROBABLY
SHOULDN'T SAY THAT," TO
"WHAT THE HELL, LET'S SEE
WHAT HAPPENS."

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: BoBo on June 02, 2008, 07:35:02 AM
He's noteworthy for another reason in MLB history.  He was the first player ever tested for a non-performance-enhancing drug (based on a rumor) way back in 1943. He was eventurally cleared of any infraction.  But, spent nearly the rest of his life trying to discover who finked him out, w/o success.  How's that?

You must have read the same article I did! :D  What I found interesting (since MLB did not then have any drug testing) was that it was HE who demanded the testing, in order to clear his name.  Remember, this was soon after marijuana was first outlawed [1937?], and the movie Reefer Madness was taken quite seriously [unlike in the 60s when it was a cult classic for which the audience would get stoned and laugh uproariously].

And to give credit where credit is due: thanks, Ralph, for posting the link (on another board).

BoBo

I actually remember that information about Dahlgren from a trivia contest I was in many moons ago.  There was a question about drug testing and this was a follow up question.  I didn't know the answer to either question, but someone else on my team did (to the surprise of everyone else). Don't know where they found it. It must be fate that the question came up here again.
I'VE REACHED THAT AGE
WHERE MY BRAIN GOES
FROM "YOU PROBABLY
SHOULDN'T SAY THAT," TO
"WHAT THE HELL, LET'S SEE
WHAT HAPPENS."

LargeTuna21

Nick Vera (Trinity, 2007) was drafted in the 32nd Round by the Cardinals last year. He hit .286 with 4 HRs and 29 RBIs all while being shifted to 3B after being drafted as a CF.

Also, Jacob Kaase, SS from TLU is currently still playing in the Rangers organization.

John McGraw

Quote from: LargeTuna21 on June 04, 2008, 02:58:33 PM
Nick Vera (Trinity, 2007) was drafted in the 32nd Round by the Cardinals last year. He hit .286 with 4 HRs and 29 RBIs all while being shifted to 3B after being drafted as a CF.

Also, Jacob Kaase, SS from TLU is currently still playing in the Rangers organization.

Kaase started the season up in Hi-A with the Bakersfield Blaze. He played in the California League for the first month of the season, hit .282 and was then sent down to Lo-A Clinton of the Midwest League. He hasn't done much with the L'Kings.

WLCALUM83

Fabian Gomez (who pitched for Rockford in '07) is back with the Vancouver Canadians this year.

http://www.canadiansbaseball.com/players.php

infielddad

Nick Vera from Trinity, Tx is playing with the Batavia Muckdogs, the Cardinals team  in the short season "A" NY/PENN league.

WLCALUM83

Quote from: WLCALUM83 on June 17, 2008, 08:28:18 PM
Fabian Gomez (who pitched for Rockford in '07) is back with the Vancouver Canadians this year.

http://www.canadiansbaseball.com/players.php

Hey, hey! Gomez got the win vs. Tri-City last night! His pitching line is as follows:

IP   H    R    ER   BB    SO   HR     ERA

2    1    0     0     2      1      0      0.00

kwizd94

Jimmy's Auburn Debut results for 6/19/08
Batavia Top 6th
Pitcher Change: James Dougher replaces Robert Leffler.
Edwin Gomez called out on strikes.
Blake Murphy called out on strikes.
Jermaine Curtis grounds out, third baseman Leance Soto to first baseman David Cooper.
Batavia Top 7thChris Swauger singles on a line drive to left fielder Christopher Hopkins.
Jose Garcia pops out to third baseman Leance Soto in foul territory.
Beau Riportella strikes out swinging.
Colt Sedbrook strikes out swinging.
Player       IP H R ER BB SO HR ERA
Dougher  2.0 1 0 0    0   4   0  0.00

AlleyCat

From Cortland's web site. Zaccardo signs with Phillies. He should have been drafted, but at least he'll get a shot.

WLCALUM83

Here's an update on Rockford pitcher Bobby Findlay (now in the Frontier League):

http://rockfordriverhawks.com/news/?id=7778

ECSUalum

Quote from: ECSUalum on June 01, 2008, 09:14:30 PM
Unless I missed something, I sent ECSU players not listed

Osh dude, were all the UWO MLB boys in the data base?

Ralph, thanks for posting this!! :)

ECSU players now listed.  Sent note to web site and they were quick to respond!!