FB: Heartland Collegiate Athletic Conference

Started by Adam Sayer, December 24, 2006, 10:01:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FCGrizzliesGrad

Quote from: GrizFan on September 30, 2019, 06:19:29 PM
Total rebuild at Franklin, worst GRIZ team in around 20 years.  Throw in the fact that the returning QB is hurt, the GRIZ are in for a long season!
I'd say more like 15 years. My freshman year was the last time the Grizzlies failed to reach .500 back in 2003. 2005 was the last non-winning season. I still think they can get to 5-5 this year, Defiance, Anderson, Manchester, Bluffton still to come but they can't afford to lose any because they'd need to upset Rose or Hanover on the road to make up for it.

Quote from: SaintsFAN on September 30, 2019, 09:01:50 AM
Quote from: FCGrizzliesGrad on September 28, 2019, 06:01:13 PM
Well, that was painful.

wow - must really be an off year at Franklin to lose like that... to those guys.
Probably a coinflip between them and Hanover to win the conference but Franklin just doesn't have the air attack they've had the past decade+. Run game is definitely better but not enough to compensate with their usual porous defense. Not to give you any nightmares, but MSJ have the chance of being 10-0 which might be enough to avoid a CCIW buzzsaw in the playoffs.
Glad to see you're still around. How's NAIA life going so far for the Saints?
Football picker extraordinaire
5 titles: CCIW, NJAC
4x: ODAC:S
3x: ASC, IIAC, MIAA:S, NACC:S, NCAC, OAC:P, Nat'l
2x: HCAC, MIAC, ODAC:P, WIAC
1x: Bracket, OAC:S

Basketball
2013 WIAC Pickem Co-champ
2015 Nat'l Pickem
2017: LEC and MIAA Pickem
2019: MIAA and WIAC Pickem

Soccer
2023: Mens Pickem

MSJguy

Franklin is without a doubt worse than I have ever seen them. Two off script scores (the fumble return touchdown and the punt block) and they still only mustered two scores. This MSJ team is really good, they struggled a bit in the early going. The matchup against Geneva was a difficult one because of the triple option they run. They also didnt play their best against Anderson, the team was a little lethargic, which is understandable against a traditionally bad Anderson team. The Lions still employ the prodigious passing attack they have had since Chaiten Tomlin took over as QB four years ago. The difference this year is the defense is really good too. I think it comes down to MSJ vs. Hanover at The Mount on November 2nd. Rose is the outlier they are definitely better than they were a year ago, I am just not sure if they have enough offense to beat the Lions.

GRIZ_BACKER

Quote from: GrizFan on September 23, 2019, 12:22:47 PM
What happened to Smith?

Injured/broken thumb on throwing hand.  Out maybe 4 more weeks. At this point no backup in place.  QB is just one concern to be honest.  Even if Smith healthy, receivers that can get open is another issue.  Secondary not where it needs to be either.  Multitude of issues.
HCAC Champions 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018

GrizFan

Agreed, but Franklin depends on the QB for the bulk of their success.  We have always had a porous defense but we were almost always able to just outscore opponents.  We need to identify a QB while Smith is out and I think it might be QB by committee.

GrizFan

Smith comes back early from injury and leads FC to the big comeback victory at Rose-Hulman!  Surprising win for the GRIZ and a big blow to the Engineers.  Last second win for the second year in a row!

MSJguy

Cant believe Smith played for the Griz... that win keeps it a four team race! Still likely comes down to MSJ vs Hanover

SaintsFAN

Quote from: FCGrizzliesGrad on September 30, 2019, 11:23:23 PM
Probably a coinflip between them and Hanover to win the conference but Franklin just doesn't have the air attack they've had the past decade+. Run game is definitely better but not enough to compensate with their usual porous defense. Not to give you any nightmares, but MSJ have the chance of being 10-0 which might be enough to avoid a CCIW buzzsaw in the playoffs.
Glad to see you're still around. How's NAIA life going so far for the Saints?

I'm living in Boston, so I haven't see too much.  Its been an adjustment to the size in NAIA.  I was in the offices last week during a visit to Cincinnati.  Sounds like recruiting is going well.. as it was told to me, they had already targeted really good players in D3 but this is a different level.  The money helps get into living rooms and they are in a tough conference with a large footprint. 

Add to that a new school President and its been a season of change in Crestview Hills.   

Its an opportunity for other d3 schools to recruit in Cincinnati.
AMC Champs: 1991-1992-1993-1994-1995
HCAC Champs: 2000, 2001
PAC Champs:  2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016
Bridge Bowl Champs:  1990-1991-1992-1993-1994-1995-2002-2003-2006-2008-2009-2010-2011-2012-2013 (SERIES OVER)
Undefeated: 1991, 1995, 2001, 2009, 2010, 2015
Instances where MSJ quit the Bridge Bowl:  2

FCGrizzliesGrad

The last time Manchester beat Franklin, there was no such site as d3football. 21 in a row for the Grizzlies since the Spartans last won in 1997. Donavan Henderson breaks the Manchester career rushing record in the process. He entered the game #2 in D3 for rushing yards per game (149.6) and #3 for total rushing yards (748) this season and that average will go up a little.

Basketball
2015 Nat'l Pickem

Soccer

GrizFan

Most embarrassing loss in school history!  I have been attending GRIZ games for 40 years and this is the first game (home or away) that I have left early.  Worst play calling that I have ever seen at any level!  I love Coach Leonard but whoever calls the plays never gave the players a chance to win today.  We could have run the ball and won by 21 points today.  Why are we throwing the ball 40 yards down the field and never looking short, why are we throwing (and getting sacked) on 2nd and 2 when we had success every time we ran the ball.  I know we have always been known as a passing team but give me a break.  We don't appear to care if we lose as long as we try to score in the air.  I am done for this season, no more GRIZ games for me this season and maybe many years to come!

FCGrizzliesGrad

Game day.
Franklin plays their final home game of the season against winless Defiance
Bluffton could finally hit the win column against Anderson
Hanover continues their wait for the big conference games taking on Manchester this week
Mount St Joseph needs to not look ahead to next week's game against Hanover or Rose-Hulman could keep their hopes of a playoff berth alive

Basketball
2015 Nat'l Pickem

Soccer

Baldini

Did the Lions get busted looking ahead or is Rose-Hulman a better team? Rose-Hulman was better today and I guess that is all that counts anymore.

Pat Coleman

Quote from: Baldini on October 26, 2019, 10:32:34 PM
Did the Lions get busted looking ahead or is Rose-Hulman a better team? Rose-Hulman was better today and I guess that is all that counts anymore.

I think that in general we just didn't have a lot of data to go on for MSJ. Playing Geneva, Anderson, Defiance, Manchester and Bluffton isn't generally going to provide a ton of information -- speaking from Top 25 voter perspective here. And unfortunately, Franklin is 4-4 and doesn't help this year either.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

wally_wabash

I think conditions had something to do with MSJ's offensive short circuit yesterday.  It looked like a full blown toad strangler out there and pass-first(only?) offenses are going to have a bad time. 
"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

FCGrizzliesGrad

Conference won't be won, but will determine who can get in based on the Hanover @ Rose game next week (assuming no other upsets).
If Rose wins out then they're in.
If Hanover beats MSJ then next week over Rose they'll return to the playoffs.
If MSJ beats Hanover, then Hanover beats Rose, MSJ would get the spot.
And *takes a deep breath* If MSJ beats Hanover, Hanover beats Rose, Anderson beats MSJ, and Franklin beats Hanover then there's a 4 way tie for 1st and maybe Franklin could have a shot. :-\

Basketball
2015 Nat'l Pickem

Soccer

FCGrizzliesGrad

With Rose and Hanover well on their way to wins today that will set up a conference title game next week between the two. If Hanover wins they lock up sole possession of 1st regardless of their final game (they'll have 0 losses while everyone else has at least 2). If Rose wins, they finish their conference slate 6-1 and guaranteed at least a share of the title with Hanover (sole possession if Hanover also loses to Franklin) and will have the tiebreaker.

Basketball
2015 Nat'l Pickem

Soccer