Liberty League

Started by Saint of Old, August 12, 2014, 12:14:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ommadawn

Tough afternoon so far for LL teams:

SUNY Geneseo 2 - Clarkson 0

SUNY Oneonta 1 - RIT 0

Firsttouch

SLU defense has already given up 4 goals this season. They graduated a midfielder and thats all.....the entire back line returns. this does not look good for the saints

Ommadawn

Holy moly, boy was I wrong about the score of the UR-SLU game!  I didn't splurge on the stream, opting instead to follow the sporadic "live stats."  I didn't realize that UR only had 3 shots in the whole game until I read the game report.  Perhaps SLU was unlucky on the defensive end?  Earlier, I caught bits and pieces of the Skidmore game.  With two goals and two assists, Adam Beek led the way to complete domination of SUNY Potsdam.  The goal for Potsdam was an aberration in a game highlighting the quality Skidmore's special players.

Saint of Old

You are not the only one that got the SLU v. U of R wrong :)

U of R proved they are a very quality team, but the result perhaps shows that Morrisville State(who beat Rochester) is also legit. St. Lawrence must rectify its defensive issues before it really hurts them.

Giving up 6 goals in 4 games is unacceptable, injuries or not.

Rochester followed up by getting 0-0 tie against an improved Clarkson, while SLU bearly managed to beat Geneseo who outshot St. Lawrence in a tightly contested game.

Ommadawn

Lots of games are on tap for this weekend. There are no real marquee match-ups, but I am especially interested in the Hobart-Rochester game. Things didn't go well for the Statesmen in their last clash with a UAA opponent, so this game is an opportunity to see if the Brandeis match was an aberration and to find out how they do against Rochester compared to how St. Lawrence and Clarkson did.  Until league play begins in two weeks, we'll have to make due with inferences based on performances against common opponents (which give one a general idea about where teams are, but are not as informative as one might prefer).       

Ommadawn

With all teams in action and only Skidmore, RPI, and Clarkson coming away with victories, it was a rough day for the Liberty League.  Adam Beek continued his torrid streak, RPI remained hot after their Costa Rican adventure, and Clarkson served further notice of its massively improved status under Coach Taylor.  What did we learn about the rest of the league?  Bard came back to earth against Potsdam, Union has not yet caught its stride, hard luck RIT fell just short once again, youthful Vassar is not ready for prime time, St. Lawrence has a bit more work to do before returning to its rightful spot atop the league, and Hobart kept it close against Rochester in a marked improvement over their first clash with a UAA foe.  Clarkson and St. Lawrence look to add to their win totals tomorrow.

Saint of Old

SLU dominated shots and possession, but managed to lose the second road game of the season.

St. Lawrence has a problem on defense and with leadership that they must rectify before the start of league play.
One more loss and they could need to win the LL Tourney to get a bid.

Clarkson is serving early notice of improvement, and in all honesty the best team in the league at this stage is clearly RPI based on performance so far.

LaPaz

hey Saint of old I noticed a mt.greylock(williamstown kid) Houston playing in net recently....whats the situation in goal the past few games?

Saint of Old

SLU has been hit with the injury bug, maybe worse than they were in 2011. SLU goalie is a great kid who ooozes confidence, but was injured recently.
Freshman was in goal for both games this weekend.
The Goalie performed relatively well yesturday to get his first colelge win despite the scoreline.
Hopefully a few of the boyz will be healthy come October.

deutschfan

With or without SLU's senior keeper being healthy, 6 teams are competing for 1 spot in the playoffs.  RPI, Skidmore and SLU are locks.  I wouldn't foreclose any team from the last spot.  Although RIT has the worst record to date, it showed well against Oneonta, a team that may be in the top 3 team by tomorrow.  The RPI-Skidmore fixture this week should be an excellent gauge of who is on track for the Liberty League finals.   

Ommadawn

Tomorrow's league opener is an intriguing match-up.  Giving up only 1 goal in 6 games, RPI is off to a quick start following its Costa Rica trip and will be at home under the lights.  Skidmore will be led by the seemingly unstoppable Adam Beek, who has been involved in 9 of the team's 14 goals, and freshman sensation Augustine Okoye, who has 4 goals and 2 assists.  I'll go with the immovable object at home over the irresistible force, RPI 2 - Skidmore 1.

Ommadawn

Immovable Object prevails over Irresistable Force, RPI 1 - Skidmore 0 (2OT).  It's tough to know exactly how the game went going by Live Stats, but it looks like RPI was the stronger team throughout (19 shots for RPI versus 10 for Skidmore, 9 SOG versus 1 SOG).  Anyone see the game?

Saint of Old

Now that was prescient!

RPI is a strong squad and has proven to be the best in the LL ... so far.
RPI also beat Skidmore in a close game last season before falling to them in Conference Semi.
This looks to be a stronger RPI however.
They have been really good for a while now, could this be the year they make the jump.
Next two games are against Williams and Oneonta.
If they split those two, they are legit indeed for a good run.

Ommadawn

Thanks, Saint!  If you throw enough darts, one is bound to find the board every once in a while.

Yesterday was another tough day at the office for Liberty League teams, with only Hobart finding joy.  Bard seems to be coming back to earth, Clarkson appears to have had an off night, Union is having trouble breaking through, and Vassar is experiencing offensive difficulties against their better opponents.  Does all this give Hobart the early season edge in securing the #4 spot?

I'm definitely looking forward to the next two RPI games.  The Skidmore and SLU games with Plattsburgh should also be revealing.

Ommadawn

I caught much of the second half stream of the SLU game at Potsdam.  It looked like the Saints were firmly in control and, apart from a few dicey moments during a string of corner kicks, were not in danger of being scored upon.  It's tough to get past Copeland, isn't it?!