FB: Wisconsin Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:19:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MIAC23

Quote from: Pat Coleman on September 16, 2019, 01:08:07 PM
Is it different on personal foul penalties, or wouldn't that have been half the distance?

It was a half the distance to the goal penalty. It would have been 4th and Goal from the 3. If the penalty was roughing the kicker (which it probably should have been) it would have been an automatic first down, with the ball at the three yard line.

emma17

Quote from: MIAC23 on September 16, 2019, 01:16:14 PM
Quote from: Pat Coleman on September 16, 2019, 01:08:07 PM
Is it different on personal foul penalties, or wouldn't that have been half the distance?

It was a half the distance to the goal penalty. It would have been 4th and Goal from the 3. If the penalty was roughing the kicker (which it probably should have been) it would have been an automatic first down, with the ball at the three yard line.

Ahh right, I often forget about the half the distance rule. Thanks both.

MRMIKESMITH

Quote from: MANDGSU on September 11, 2019, 09:49:18 AM
Quote from: Brad on September 11, 2019, 09:13:00 AM
Here we go with week 2. Great work by the WIAC in week one. Lets see what we can do in week two!

First up:

UWO vs Salisbury- I do not know one thing about Salisbury so this will be a total bias WIAC pick. UWO wins 42-10

Not so fast my friend, the Seagulls of Salisbury will slow down the game similar to how Army did against Michigan, with Seagulls coming out with the win, Salisbury 24 v. UW-Oshkosh 21 in a thriller on the Shore. Bias pick nevertheless ;)

I was so close with my prediction...Good luck to UW-O the remainder of the season.

bleedpurple

Quote from: WW on September 16, 2019, 10:32:12 AM
LaCrosse is my WIAC team of the week. Second straight OT win over a quality opponent and they've really positioned themselves well for Pool C consideration if they finish runner-up to Whitewater. That's the reward of the challenging N-C schedule they put together.
La Crosse has had two pretty bizarre endings. They could easily be 0-2. But at the same time they did win both and, as you mentioned, they are sitting well for a Pool C if they finish 2nd. But the WIAC seems pretty wacky to me. I'm  not sure any team other than UW-W will have less than two losses. At this moment, UW-L seems to have the best chance. Assuming they can avoid getting bitten by Platteville or Stout, the tale of their season will be told starting October 19th when in successive weeks they play at River Falls, host Oshkosh, and play at UW-W.

WW

Quote from: bleedpurple on September 16, 2019, 07:29:04 PM
Quote from: WW on September 16, 2019, 10:32:12 AM
LaCrosse is my WIAC team of the week. Second straight OT win over a quality opponent and they've really positioned themselves well for Pool C consideration if they finish runner-up to Whitewater. That's the reward of the challenging N-C schedule they put together.
La Crosse has had two pretty bizarre endings. They could easily be 0-2. But at the same time they did win both and, as you mentioned, they are sitting well for a Pool C if they finish 2nd. But the WIAC seems pretty wacky to me. I'm  not sure any team other than UW-W will have less than two losses. At this moment, UW-L seems to have the best chance. Assuming they can avoid getting bitten by Platteville or Stout, the tale of their season will be told starting October 19th when in successive weeks they play at River Falls, host Oshkosh, and play at UW-W.

Agree about UWL looking second best but I wouldn't be shocked by them losing to any WIAC team. Might be a year where one team goes 7-0 and next up is a bunch of 4-3 and 3-4 teams.

But what I like about UWL was not necessarily that they won those two but that they played even up with two very good teams. They're the only other WIAC team without a chink in their armor in one form or another (with the possible exclusion of Platteville). On the other hand, every WIAC team has at least one strong showing against a quality opponent (possible exception UWEC). WIAC wacky? Ya, I think you're right about that.

I know it's tough to come up with three quality N-C opponents every year but I'm not a big fan of UWL's game this week, or any NAIA opponent. They're all over the place in terms of quality. A loss would seem to hurt UWL's profile far more than a win would seem to help it.

emma17

If I had to do pick'ems today for UWL's next four D3 games, UWP, UWS, UWRF and UWO (next week is NAIA),I'd have to take UWL in each game, which seems to mean I'm picking UWL to be undefeated headed into UWW. Wow.

They play a heck of a schedule.

MUC57

Quote from: emma17 on September 17, 2019, 11:56:14 AM
If I had to do pick'ems today for UWL's next four D3 games, UWP, UWS, UWRF and UWO (next week is NAIA),I'd have to take UWL in each game, which seems to mean I'm picking UWL to be undefeated headed into UWW. Wow.

I for one will be watching. Should be a lot of fun. Sure, easy for me to say.
Go WIAC.  8-)  :D
I'm old! I get mixed up and I forget things! Go Everybody! 🏈 ☠

bleedpurple

Quote from: MUC57 on September 17, 2019, 12:33:43 PM
Quote from: emma17 on September 17, 2019, 11:56:14 AM

I for one will be watching. Should be a lot of fun. Sure, easy for me to say.
Go WIAC.  8-)  :D

It will be fun! I am actually really thankful the other WIAC schools play good football. It adds an element of fun and excitement each week because of what could happen.

Brad

Wednesday Morning Recap.

Man I could not be more wrong about UWL. They have pulled two wins out of their hat. The QB by the numbers does not seem to be playing lights out but I have to give them credit they keep finding a way to win. Two huge wins for the WIAC.

I was up at UWRF for the Bethel game. I was very impressed with UWRF actually for the first half. It came unglued in the second half a bit as Bethels monster QB took over. UWRF's #11 is one heck of a player. He will keep them in games this year. UWRF will have a chance to make a bit of a splash in the league. After watching UWRF and UWL so far, I would say UWL is the more talented of the two teams.

PS what in the world is happening in UWO?? I thought they would finish in top 3 this year. I also thought Stout would end up in the top half of the conference??

Enough of the boring stuff. Now that have a bit of understanding of the league here we go with this week.

UWL vs Dickinson State- These NAIA games can be scary for a D3 team. They do not have the athletes or similar. Dickinson beat UWL last year but I have learned better than to pick against UWL this year. It seems to me, they just have something about them. I think they play road warriors this week and win 27-21

Oshkosh vs Huntingdon- I am going to stay loyal to UWO here. I know some people will call me crazy but they do have a lot of talent. With a freshman QB, it takes some time for everything to get clicking. Huntingdon has been a really good school in the south for awhile now, but this is a game that UWO needs and I think they get it 28-21. This is the game I will be attending. I need to get a personal answer on whats going on.

Pville vs Thomas More- I was just reading online that TM went back to NAIA by choice?? When is the last time this has happened? Thomas More beat them last year 35-28, but I have a feeling about this Pville team. Coach E is a heck of a football coach. I think Pville vs UWL will be for a lot personally. I think they get this one 38-35.

UWRF vs Waldorf- Another NAIA match. Do not know a dang thing about Waldorf. First time UWRF has played them. I saw they have the "Jeff Jones' 5 star Minnesota recruit on their roster. Waldorf in the lower of the NAIA leagues. UWRF gets this one 24-17.

Stevens Point vs Dakota State- Point with a massive win for the WIAC last week over Wabash. Point is a team that I have to figure out as well. I read somewhere they are on their back up QB, but it appears he is playing very well. I did not have high hopes for Point this year but they seem to be playing decent and beat Dakota State last year. Point win 42-21.

Whitewater vs X- Boy this will be the game of the week in my eyes. I do not know a ton of NAIA, but I do know that St X is one heck of a football team. Lost to morningside in the Q finals last year. Interesting they have only played one game up to this point and coming off of a bye week. St. X will not be scared of UWW. This is a massive recruiting game I would think maybe? I am torn on this one. If UWW loses, it would not be the end of the world at all. UWW gets the W 31-21

Without even know it I have WIAC going 6-0 and 5-0 against NAIA teams.

badgerwarhawk

Quote from: Brad on September 18, 2019, 09:16:20 AM

UWRF vs Waldorf- Another NAIA match. Do not know a dang thing about Waldorf. First time UWRF has played them. I saw they have the "Jeff Jones' 5 star Minnesota recruit on their roster. Waldorf in the lower of the NAIA leagues. UWRF gets this one 24-17.

If RF doesn't win by at least four scores it should count as a loss.  ;) ;D
"Just think twice is my only advice."

WW

Speaking of UWW, looks like Oles took all the snaps Saturday. Is the two-headed QB initiative over?

emma17

Nice work Brad, you've got me looking forward to your predictions.
I hope to make it to the UWW game, maybe make a day of it in the city.
I'm with you regarding St. X, very hard to know what to expect. I get the feeling their first game was against a heavily overmatched team, followed by a bye- which means the starters likely haven't been tested. I'd think UWW would want to get off to a quick start in this one especially.
I'm hoping to see UWW finish more on offense. 7 field goal attempts in 2 games.

dachampishere

NAIA schools are a different breed for sure. St. X is very talented at the skill positions most years. WW beats them where it counts which in the lines. I remember in 2005 A.J. Raebel lined up at rush end in our nickel or dime package and just killed the poor guy he was going against in the second half. It was a great adjustment by coach Borland.

Pat Coleman

Thomas More isn't back in the NAIA by choice. They are there because no D-III conference would take them and it's not really viable to try to be an independent.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

bleedpurple

Quote from: emma17 on September 18, 2019, 10:23:54 AM
Nice work Brad, you've got me looking forward to your predictions.
I hope to make it to the UWW game, maybe make a day of it in the city.
I'm with you regarding St. X, very hard to know what to expect. I get the feeling their first game was against a heavily overmatched team, followed by a bye- which means the starters likely haven't been tested. I'd think UWW would want to get off to a quick start in this one especially.
I'm hoping to see UWW finish more on offense. 7 field goal attempts in 2 games.
Yes! I have no doubt this will be an objective this week!