FB: Wisconsin Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:19:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

'95 Blugold

27-21 final SNC over UWEC. Blugolds had the ball on the 5 with time running out, but had a pass in the end zone knocked away as SNC was able to preserve the victory. Good game to watch. SNC with a pick 6 and also a INT in the end zone in the second half. Offense is a shortcoming for the Blugolds this year.

CollegeGolf18

Quote from: USee on September 14, 2019, 04:36:55 PM
Lacrosse broadcaster says Wabash "Wuh-Bash" with emphasis on second syllable. For kicks he also referred to Bethel the same way. Despite his broadcast mate pronouncing both teams the right way.

They also both pronounce Kryzanski's name different despite being a UWSP junior.
Former Collegiate Golfer
Current Sports Nut

CollegeGolf18

Hats off to a well played game by UWSP. Tough matchup for the first game of the year.
Former Collegiate Golfer
Current Sports Nut

Jack Parkman

The end of the La Crosse game was wow, just wow!

gbpuckfan

The SNC win was the first for a Midwest Conference team against a state team since 1935.
St. Norbert College Green Knights
NCAA D3 Hockey National Champions 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2018
Midwest Conf. football champs: 85, 87, 88, 89, 99, 00, 01, 02, 03, 04, 06, 07, 10, 12, 13, 15, 18

emma17

Congrats to UWL as well as SNC w their streak-breaking win.

D O.C.

QuoteVarious D3Boards "Pickem" Gurus have posted the following spreads on their boards:

MIAC-AO:

IWU @ UWL (even)

I like it!

83 Little Giant

Quote from: CollegeGolf18 on September 13, 2019, 08:22:21 PM
Quote from: 83 Little Giant on September 11, 2019, 09:31:15 AM
Quote from: Brad on September 11, 2019, 09:13:00 AM
Here we go with week 2. Great work by the WIAC in week one. Lets see what we can do in week two!

Stevens Point vs Wabash- Point is the one team that I know very little about. If someone on this board could fill me or us in that would be great. Wabash in the past has been a good football team. It was a decent game last year. I think Wabash pulls an upset here 28-24

Best of luck to WIAC this week!

Wabash is starting late out of the gate with no game in week #1.  Not sure if a Wabash win would be an upset per se given their national ranking, but a win on the road versus a WIAC team would be considered a big win in the eyes of Wabash supporters.  Wabash has a lot of defensive gaps to fill but returns a strong running game.  Point used both QBs in a what looks to have been a close contest on the road at John Carroll. If Point can get its passing game going (which in my opinion has been Wabash's historical defensive weakness), the game will be a toss-up.   In the NCAC Pick'em, Wally has Wabash as a double-digit favorite.  I am going to take the points and hope that Wabash ends up with a well-earned road win.  Wish I was making the trip to Wisconsin this weekend but will be doing the live-stream instead.

I think this is a little overstated. Wabash should win the game, and their pass defense has been "bad" because their run D is among the best in the country for a 7 year stretch here.

Wabash only loses 2 starters on defense. They return all 3 starting LBs and all 4 DBs...

Wabash also has a transfer in by the name on the DL of David Marsh. Transfer in from Miami (OH). I think this defense is better than you give it credit for.

Not to mention two 1,000 yard rushers. A competent QB, and a BIG veteran line.

In 20 hours I might be eating my words but I think you're a little low on them.

No, their pass defense has been bad, not just "not as good as the run d".  I take no pleasure in seeing my doubts realized.  I am sure there will lots more shared on the NCAC board this week. Get ready for "Over Reaction Monday" :o

WW

Quote from: Andy W on September 14, 2019, 04:38:45 PM
27-21 final SNC over UWEC. Blugolds had the ball on the 5 with time running out, but had a pass in the end zone knocked away as SNC was able to preserve the victory. Good game to watch. SNC with a pick 6 and also a INT in the end zone in the second half. Offense is a shortcoming for the Blugolds this year.

Quite a drive to end it... think there were two 4th-and-13 conversions, but SNC kid made the play to lock it down. Earlier, UWEC threw that pick-six like he thought that guy was on his team.

Tough break for UWEC on that 90-yarder. Procedure was so obvious I think some of the kids slowed down, but you play to the whistle, and there wasn't one, or a flag for that matter. EC coach was livid, understandably so.

There's some scrap in that Blugold team. I think they'll find a couple WIAC wins.

Pat Coleman

Quote from: USee on September 14, 2019, 04:36:55 PM
UWSP broadcaster says Wabash "Wuh-Bash" with emphasis on second syllable. For kicks he also referred to Bethel the same way. Despite his broadcast mate pronouncing both teams the right way.

Bizarre. I had the same experience with the La Crosse broadcast crew.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

WW

LaCrosse is my WIAC team of the week. Second straight OT win over a quality opponent and they've really positioned themselves well for Pool C consideration if they finish runner-up to Whitewater. That's the reward of the challenging N-C schedule they put together.

Other observations... don't let stats/score fool you, UWO was stonewalled at Salisbury. Just don't think this team is a contender this year... UWRF had a 3rd qtr lead vs a strong Bethel team. I know the Falcons aren't interested in moral victories, but that's a good showing... solid win for UWW, even though their fans might be unimpressed. The Cobbers can play... Big, quality win for Point, with their backup QB throwing for 300+. Been a while since they beat a ranked opponent... Had higher hopes for Stout. Not a "bad" loss, Gusties are decent, if always overshadowed in that league. But that result sure tempers enthusiasm for Blue Devils

UWO Titan 78

I didn't watch the game (I've got a busy fall schedule with varsity tennis and JUCO football on the table), but clearly the Titans haven't figured out how to run the ball yet. This was a problem last year with an experienced line, and this looks to be a problem with an inexperienced line this fall. Obviously our QB situation hasn't been ideal since Kasper graduated, but they need to be able to run the ball and control clock and turn things over to a defense that will be solid. I don't see this team being anything other than middle of the pack at best in the WIAC. Hopefully we can develop an o-line, figure out the QB situation, and get MacCudden fully healthy (he still may not be 100%) and get back in the conversation in 2020.

WW

Quote from: UWO Titan 78 on September 16, 2019, 11:14:41 AM
I didn't watch the game (I've got a busy fall schedule with varsity tennis and JUCO football on the table), but clearly the Titans haven't figured out how to run the ball yet. This was a problem last year with an experienced line, and this looks to be a problem with an inexperienced line this fall. Obviously our QB situation hasn't been ideal since Kasper graduated, but they need to be able to run the ball and control clock and turn things over to a defense that will be solid. I don't see this team being anything other than middle of the pack at best in the WIAC. Hopefully we can develop an o-line, figure out the QB situation, and get MacCudden fully healthy (he still may not be 100%) and get back in the conversation in 2020.

I think their issues are all upfront. MacCudden should be healthy... I don't know anything otherwise, but I presume he'd be on the field less in these games if he had any injury concerns. He's just got nowhere to run. And their QBs look to be too busy running for their lives to make plays. By the way, Berghammer and Makinen alternated series in the first half but it was all Berghammer after half.

emma17

I caught mostly the first half of the UWO game. They are a team in search of an identify for sure, but they have talent. They had a chance early in that game to take control and simply blew it. On the second drive they got to 1st and goal at the 3 yard line and got stopped four consecutive times. The next drive they got to 1st and goal at the 9 and didn't score due to blocked field goal.

I'm having a hard time remembering their play selection on the four tries from the 3, I'm likely confusing their game with UWW and the Bears. I'm pretty sure it was all runs up the middle. I do feel they did a good job on deeper passes.

UWL was very impressive. They got off to the early lead, but as time went on I figured IWU was getting passed their first game issues and would eventually take command. UWL just kept battling and their players made some terrific plays- especially on interceptions.   

UWW D was excellent, O did just enough. For whatever reason, they aren't finishing drives. I admit to being anti-wildcat, especially if you have a QB that is already a running threat. Maybe it's a matter of me just not having the knowledge, but pulling out a passing/running threat and replacing with a running threat seems to play in favor of the D and not the O. I was glad UWW scrapped that in the second half.

A very interesting decision made on the first drive of the game by UWW. UWW faces 4th and 5 at the C-M 6 yard line and opt for the field goal. The kick is good, but there is a roughing or running into the kicker penalty- UWW declines and keeps the 3 points. I'm assuming the penalty was the 5 yard variety, which I believe would have put the ball at or inside the C-M 1 yard line with 4th down. That seems to me to be a "go for it" play all the way. Maybe I missed something with the call.

Pat Coleman

Is it different on personal foul penalties, or wouldn't that have been half the distance?
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.