2000's All-Decade Baseball Team

Started by Jim Dixon, October 02, 2010, 07:31:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

infielddad

Jim,
I  admire your courage!!
The link on the main page to the top 50 does not seem to be working...at least for me.
From the summary, it appears Scott Hyde was not chosen for the 1st team  pitchers.
From what I saw of him in 2004, and what he went on to do in Wisconsin, that type of decision, alone, suggests how hard it would be to make the types of choices and distinctions that taking on a task of this nature involves.
I also recognize that the tasks involved may focus as much  on a 4 year not one year assessment of productivity.

BigPoppa

Scott Hyde was amazing. I watched him single handedly dismantle the hitters in the west region the year that George Fox won it all. He was named to the second team. His 32-5 record was pretty stellar and he put the Bruins on the national on the map.
Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

Jim Dixon

D3baseball.com 2000's All Decade Team

First Team

Pos - Player, Team (years played)
C - Jay Coakley, Marietta (1999-2002)
1B – Drew Caravella, Ohio Wesleyan (1999-2002)
2B – Jeremy Jirschele, UW-Oshkosh (2002-2005)
3B – Jake Frank, Wooster (2001-2005)
SS – Ian Hauze, DeSales (2002-2005)
DH – Jose Cortez, Pomona-Pitzer (2000-2003)
OF – Tony Konicek, Gustavus Adolphus (2004-2007)
OF – Vince Mancuso, UW-Oshkosh (1999-2003)
OF – Eric Swedberg, Worcester State (1999-2002)
UTL – Kurt Yacko, Chapman (2006-2008)
UTL – Shawn Gilblair, Eastern Conn. State (2006-2009)

P –Jeremiah Bayer, Trinity (Conn) (2006-2009)
P– Matt DeSalvo, Marietta (1999-2003)
P– Ryan DiPietro, Eastern Conn. State (2002-2004)
P – Devin Drag, Chapman (2004-2007)
P – Josh Schwartz, Rowan (2002-2005)

Head Coach: Dennis Denning, St. Thomas (Minn.): 2 Championships

Second Team

Pos - Player, Team (years played)
C - Gerard Haran, College of New Jersey (2004-2007)
1B – Drew Hedman, Pomona-Pitzer (2006-2009)
2B – Ricky Angel, Illinois Wesleyan (2005-2008)
3B – Zach Lutz, Alvernia (2005-2007)
SS – Luke Ullman, Wooster (2001-2005)
DH – Kurt Kapferer, Wooster (2003-2006)
OF – Bobby Doyon, Keene State (2008-2010)
OF – Hunter Owen, Millsaps (2006-2009)
OF – Dwight Wildman, Eastern Conn. State (2000-2004)
UTL –Brady Endl, UW-Whitewater (2001-2004)
UTL – Todd Meyer, Alvernia (1999-2002)

P – Jim Dougher, Cortland (2004-2007)
P – Scott Hyde, George Fox (2002-2004)
P – Buddy Klovstad, Chapman (2003-2006)
P – Kenny Moreland, Christopher Newport (2005-2008)

Head Coach: Tom Tereschuk, Chapman: 1 Championship,

Honorable Mention: C – Sean Killeen, Trinity (Conn); 1B – Blake Bullis, College of New Jersey; 2B – Mike Moceri, Kean; Kurt Piantek, Trinity (Conn.); 3B – Craig Conway, Montclair State; Derek David, McMurry; SS – Nick Tempesta, Eastern Conn. State; DH - Steve Wiczek, UW-Stevens Point; OF – Bob Capaldo, College of New Jersey; Tyler Delorme, Southern Maine; Chris Denorfia, Wheaton (Mass); Shaun Rice, Ohio Wesleyan; Matt Turner, Christopher Newport; Brian Youchak, Johns Hopkins; P –Wayde Kitchens, Chapman; Steve Matre, Mount St, Joseph; Joey Serfass, ECSU; Mike Spavento, Wheaton (Mass).; Head Coach: Bill Holowaty, Eastern Conn. State.

Jim Dixon

Quote from: infielddad on October 11, 2010, 03:29:19 PM
Jim,
I  admire your courage!!
The link on the main page to the top 50 does not seem to be working...at least for me.
From the summary, it appears Scott Hyde was not chosen for the 1st team  pitchers.
From what I saw of him in 2004, and what he went on to do in Wisconsin, that type of decision, alone, suggests how hard it would be to make the types of choices and distinctions that taking on a task of this nature involves.
I also recognize that the tasks involved may focus as much  on a 4 year not one year assessment of productivity.

I think the link is working now.

I can think of several players that because they played only 2-3 years that another year would have certainly have changed things.  Nobody who saw Jordan Zimmermann at the championships cold not think that he would not have been a force in his senior year.  Add Mike Eisenberg for Marietta to that group.

I think that it is difficult to separate a player on this list with a few exceptions.  Jay Coakley, Drew Caravella, Jeremy Jirschele, Jose Cortez were far and away the best at their position. 

BigPoppa

OK... it's 80 degrees and sunny in Minneapolis today(in Mid-October)! Why are we not playing baseball games now instead of on the 42 degree and rainy days in April?

Gramps

How about a Scholar-Athlete All-Decade Team?

Jim Dixon

Quote from: Gramps on October 12, 2010, 09:48:12 AM
How about a Scholar-Athlete All-Decade Team?

The stats that are not available :)

CCIWFAN6

Quote from: Jim Dixon on October 11, 2010, 04:16:23 PM

I can think of several players that because they played only 2-3 years that another year would have certainly have changed things.  Nobody who saw Jordan Zimmermann at the championships cold not think that he would not have been a force in his senior year.  Add Mike Eisenberg for Marietta to that group.

I think that it is difficult to separate a player on this list with a few exceptions.  Jay Coakley, Drew Caravella, Jeremy Jirschele, Jose Cortez were far and away the best at their position. 

[/quote]

Jim, why do you say you think he was far and away the best at the position.  I am slightly biased here, but seems to me that Angel's stats were  better. 

Jim Dixon

Quote from: CCIWFAN6 on October 13, 2010, 09:08:57 AM
Quote from: Jim Dixon on October 11, 2010, 04:16:23 PM

Jim, why do you say you think he was far and away the best at the position.  I am slightly biased here, but seems to me that Angel's stats were  better. 
[/quote]

You have to look at his defense.  Twice the best defensive player of the year.

LEC Fan

It is impressive that Bobby Doyon from Keene State was the only player listed that still has yet to play their senior year. Congrats to Bobby on this honor and goodluck to him as he continues his collegiate career.

Jim Dixon

Quote from: LEC Fan on October 14, 2010, 04:06:16 PM
It is impressive that Bobby Doyon from Keene State was the only player listed that still has yet to play their senior year. Congrats to Bobby on this honor and goodluck to him as he continues his collegiate career.

He is on pace to have a shot at least one career record.  I think he is 22,23 doubles from the record.  With 20+ last season, this is well within reach.  Something to watch next year.

We might have waited until next year to bring out the decade team but it sounded like a good project.  Now 1990, 1980 and 1970.

cubs

Quote from: Jim Dixon on October 14, 2010, 07:00:01 PM
Quote from: LEC Fan on October 14, 2010, 04:06:16 PM

He is on pace to have a shot at least one career record.  I think he is 22,23 doubles from the record.  With 20+ last season, this is well within reach.  Something to watch next year.

We might have waited until next year to bring out the decade team but it sounded like a good project.  Now 1990, 1980 and 1970.
I would have to think that UW-Oshkosh's Tim Jorgensen and Craig Lieder would be leading candidates for the 1990's team.....
2008-09 and 2012-13 WIAC Fantasy League Champion

2008-09 WIAC Pick'Em Tri-Champion

BigPoppa

Quote from: cubs on October 14, 2010, 09:53:32 PM

I would have to think that UW-Oshkosh's Tim Jorgensen and Craig Lieder would be leading candidates for the 1990's team.....

... and Jeff Zappa. I expect the 90s to be dotted with Oshkosh guys, including a coach.

Jim Dixon

The list of players with multiple All-American awards in the 90's are:

Tim Jorgensen, Aaron Richarz, Eric Owens, Bob Eddy, Dave Bradley, Joe Thomas, Joe Musgrove, Eric Roepsch, Matt Johnson, John Zuleger, Tony Minor, Chris Bryant, Tom D'Aquilla, Matt Gelotti, John Graham, Basil Ortiz

Just sixteen but would make a good team:

C:  Matt Johnson, John Zuleger
1B: Joe Thomas, Chris Bryant
SS: Tim Jorgensen, Eric Owens,  Bob Eddy
3B: Aaron Richarz, Tony Minor,
OF: Tom D'Aquilla, Matt Gelotti, John Graham, Joe Musgrove,
      Eric Roepsch, Basil Ortiz
P:   Dave Bradley, Joe Thomas

Of course there are lots of players that one would love to add.

BigPoppa

Quote from: Jim Dixon on October 15, 2010, 12:46:38 PM
The list of players with multiple All-American awards in the 90's are:

Tim Jorgensen, Aaron Richarz, Eric Owens, Bob Eddy, Dave Bradley, Joe Thomas, Joe Musgrove, Eric Roepsch, Matt Johnson, John Zuleger, Tony Minor, Chris Bryant, Tom D'Aquilla, Matt Gelotti, John Graham, Basil Ortiz

Just sixteen but would make a good team:

C:  Matt Johnson, John Zuleger
1B: Joe Thomas, Chris Bryant
SS: Tim Jorgensen, Eric Owens,  Bob Eddy
3B: Aaron Richarz, Tony Minor,
OF: Tom D'Aquilla, Matt Gelotti, John Graham, Joe Musgrove,
      Eric Roepsch, Basil Ortiz
P:   Dave Bradley, Joe Thomas

Of course there are lots of players that one would love to add.

Jim- is this just multiple First Team AA members?