D3 Men's National Pick Em League

Started by Greek Tragedy, March 29, 2006, 09:34:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greek Tragedy

No time like the present!

After a lot of consideration and thought, I've decided to try to start a fantasy basketball league starting next season, similar to Yahoo's NBA fantasy league. 

Here are the basics:

Each poster picks a starting five (from any team and any league).  I wasn't sure if I wanted to have restrictions on this:  2 inside (forwards/centers), 2 outside (guards) and 1 utility (inside or outside) lineup or just letting everyone pick who they want.  They could have five guards or five centers for all I care, but those teams won't be balanced in terms of winning stat categories.

NINE stat categories:

Points, FG%, FT%, 3PTM, Assists, Steals, Blocks, TOs and Rebounds. 

Obviously, you add up the totals for your team.  It'll be a head-to-head league and you can have a maximum record of 9-0-0 in one week if you win all the categories.

It's a WEEKLY league, so all rosters must be submitted by Sunday night and weeks run from Monday through Sunday. 

In the rotisserrie (sp?) leagues, they have a maximum amount of games each position can play.  I was thinking of having a maximum amount of games each "team" can play in a week, say 10, so that will prevent some posters from filling up their roster with players that play three games in a week.  But, I was thinking of just letting posters "draft" whomever they wanted each week (most posters will basically keep the same roster week in and week out).  Does this give those teams an advantage?  In a way, yes...more points possible, rebounds, assists etc.  But, their FG% may be worse and their turnovers will probably be greater, so it goes both ways.  Some guy in one of the NBA leagues has 529 transactions!  So, more power to the guys that take this more seriously, I say.  I look at it like baseball, some managers switch pitchers all the time, trying to get more wins, strikeouts etc...but they can hurt themselves in the WHIP and ERA as well.

This isn't a "draft" league, where once a player is selected, no one else can have him.  It's more like a salary cap league (without a salary cap) where multiple teams can have the same player.  Can you imagine trying to hold a draft?

Anyway, there are three ways to submit your weekly roster:  email me, post it or send me a message through this site.  Trying to figure out the LEAST amount of work for me, I figure all I have to do is make sure everyone has a roster in. 

How do you keep score?  That's up to the two opponents.  The two posters are responsible to make sure the stats are correct for their respective opponents and then either or both has to do is email me, post or send me a message on who won.  Old School beat Mr. Ypsi 5-4, for example.  If I send in the "score" and Mr. Ypsi disagrees, he can counter (with proof) what the actual score should be...Mr. Ypsi wins 5-4.  You don't need to tell me who won each category, just tell me the score.

Descrepencies in stats?  Take the players home team stats.  Lawrence page says Braier had 8 rebounds and the Point page says he has 7?  Take the Lawrence stats.  Lawrence stats say Krull had 23 and Point's page says he had 25, take Point's stats.  Got it?

Rosters must be submitted by Sunday night and "scores" from one or both teams that are playing each other must be submitted by Monday night.  Rosters/matchups will be posted on Monday for the week's games and on Tuesday the results from the previous week will be posted.

Neither team get a "score" in?  Both go 0-9.  One team not get a roster in?  They forfeit the week.

This is for dedicated posters only.  Many times I run a pick em league and start out with 30+ and by Christmas, I'm down to 25 and by Feb. I'm down to 20.  We can't have those casual posters wanting to play and then lose interest half way through the season.  I don't want to have teams winning 9-0 each week because 6 teams forfeit.  There is a lot more work into this than just picking games.  Each poster not only has to "fill out" his team's stats, but  also his (or hers) opponent's team's stats to see who wins the weekly matchup.  Hopefully this will weed out most of those posters and we'll have a league size that's managable. 

This past season the games started the weekend before Thanksgiving, but it didn't look like the full slate of games started until Thanksgiving week.  I'm also not sure if I want the season to run through the Christmas break, though most teams are playing between Christmas and New Year's.  The season ends about the third week in Feb with conference tourney games the following week.

For 2006-2007
WK1 11/27-12/3
WK2 12/4-12/10
WK3 12/11-12/17
*WK4 12/18-12/24
*WK5 12/25-12/31
WK6 1/1-1/7
WK7 1/8-1/14
WK9 1/15-1/21
WK10 1/22-1/28
WK11 1/29-2/4
SEMIS 2/5-2/11
FINALS 2/12-2/18

Feel free to post thoughts, ideas, complaints etc...or just tell me I'm an idiot and I should forget this craziness! lol.

WE HAVE LESS THAN 8 MONTHS TO FINALIZE THIS!

Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

I like the idea, but I say you need to limit it to like 12 or 16 if there is really that much interest.

Don't use 12/18-12/24; there are almost no games that week.  I'm not a fan of doing it the week after Christmas either, but I can see how it would work.

You will also have to say that rosters aren't released to opponents until after the roster deadline.  You might have to send them once they are in, so we don't have people shifting around after they see who their opponent has.  You could solve that by emailing the official rosters to both opponents once they are in.

What happens if a school doesn't get stats up in time or they are unavailable?

I'm in though.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

Mr. Ypsi

I'm probably in, too, but the turnaround (i.e., submitting scores) times may be a problem.  In my case, some weeks are extremely hectic with grading or family matters - I'm sure others would sometimes encounter other sorts of 'job-crunches', etc.  I'd hate to end up having to forfeit 2 or 3 times.

Having scores not required until Tuesday evening would probably greatly reduce the problem of forfeits.  (Submitting rosters would not likely be a problem for me at least - I'd be mostly a pick-em and hold-em sort!)

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

I agree with that.  Tuesday for scores, Sunday for rosters.

Greek Tragedy

Forfeiting has more to do with submitting your roster, rather than submitting "scores".  Tuesday night would probably work better since no one would be in dire need to see the results from last week. 

Since this is for all of D3 basketball, I don't think seeing someone else's roster before submitting your own would be that much of an issue.  Say, for example, I'm in the WIAC, I have, off the top of my head, Kerry Gibson, Jon Krull, Joe Werner from the WIAC and then I pick up some guy from the MWC and another guy from the LMC, because I'm familiar with those teams.  Is that gonna effect Ralph Turner's decision on who he's going to pick down in the south region?  Does he go with a player from Trinity (TX) instead of a player from Southwestern because I chose one seven footer (Gibson) over another seven footer (Jacob Nonemacher)?  Probably not, IMO.

I guess if he really wanted to, he could check my roster, see that my players have a total of 9 games that week and he could fill his roster with players that total 12, giving him a slight advantage.  I guess if he wants to take the time to do that, more power to him.  But, it's something to consider.

I'm not sure how I would really limit it.  I was thinking about that too.  But, what if I limit it to 16.  That 17th guy might really want to play while the 16th guy decides halfway through the season his team sucks and quits...it's impossible to determine that ahead of time.
Pointers
Breed of a Champion

TGHIJGSTO!!!

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: Old School on March 29, 2006, 03:07:16 PM
I'm not sure how I would really limit it.  I was thinking about that too.  But, what if I limit it to 16.  That 17th guy might really want to play while the 16th guy decides halfway through the season his team sucks and quits...it's impossible to determine that ahead of time.

I think that's why I said go with 12.  You know some of the people who will be into it and you might have to take a runner on a few.  I'd just be pretty selective on who you let in, whatever number you choose.

smedindy

Greek Tragedy

Quote from: Hoops Fan on March 29, 2006, 03:24:09 PM
I think that's why I said go with 12. 

The point is, it doesn't matter what the number really is.  If I go with 12, that 13th guy might really want to play and that 12th guy might just say he wants to play!  Anyway, I might just be selective (which doesn't sound fair)...we'll see.
Pointers
Breed of a Champion

TGHIJGSTO!!!

Matt Barnhart (kid)

I ran the Division III Fantasy Football League this past season.

I went with Yahoo's NFL fantasy rules, with slight changes.  It went quite well.  The participants had a lot of fun with it.

Since I put myself in charge of tabulating weekly scores, I made it an invite league only.  I ended up inviting only "D3 football gurus."  Check out the site (linked above) if you have a minute.

I can see your basketball league being just as fun.  I already immerse myself in Division III basketball stats for a specific reason every week during the season, so I'd love to partake if there's room.  Not to mention I'm currently in a NBA Yahoo fantasy league, so I'm already familiar with the rules.

Will there be any player rankings like I did for football?  It only took me five months of research. :)
Former Publisher of BridgewaterFootball.com

Greek Tragedy

kid,

Very impressive stuff.  I am not cool enough to come up with my own website or rankings or any of that.  I wouldn't want some WIACer complaining that Kerry Gibson is ranked lower than Zach Freeman or anything! lol.

Anyway, there is probably no way I'll get that ambitious.  ;D

I started this board to get my feet wet and gage the interest and it has yet to be determined if I'm going to have it just as an invite only or what I'll do.  I guess I'll have 7 months to figure it out!

Like I said, it won't be a draft, it'll be more like a salary cap league.  I'll keep you in mind for sure.
Pointers
Breed of a Champion

TGHIJGSTO!!!

Flying Dutch Fan

I'm also interested in possbily joining in.  Sounds like a blast
2016, 2020, 2022 MIAA Pick 'Em Champion

"Sports are kind of like passion and that's temporary in many cases, but academics - that's like true love and that's enduring." 
John Wooden

"Blame FDF.  That's the default.  Always blame FDF."
goodknight

Mr. Ypsi

OS, four simple solutions (not guaranteed to be GOOD solutions, but simple):

Who's in?  First come, first served.  Those who have already abandoned the site just because the season is over - forget 'em!  If there are any you want in that you fear may miss out - email 'em.

Forfeit due to missing the roster - aside from the first week, the obvious solution is that their previous roster is THIS week's roster - no forfeit necessary.

Different number of games played by their 'team' - set a minimum number (below that you're out of luck), but otherwise the number of games is that of the lower poster - later games don't count.  [Necessary because MOST of the competitions DO favor the 'team' with more games; POSSIBLE problem, a poster might select a 'team' who only plays 5-6 games against really lousy teams - that's why you need a minimum.]  [I can really see this one coming back to haunt me as Zach Freeman goes off for a career game on a Saturday night - and it doesn't count!]

Dropouts?  Keep a waiting list of those eager to join.  After two forfeits (or a statement of withdrawal), the top of the waiting list enters at [current lowest], [current median] - that's a tough call: certainly wouldn't want them to have to enter at zero or at the drop-out's level.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

To me the fun of a fantasy league is figuring out who will do the best over the number of games they play in a week.

Do I take some kid from the CCC playing three games of John Grotberg in 1?  For me it takes a lot of the fun out of it to have a minimum.  I wouldn't mind a max though, I guess.  We just would have to make sure when rosters are submitted that they are under the max.  I don't like the idea of someone on my roster playing a game that doesn't count.

woosterbooster

What if you took your guys per/game stats for the week in question rather than totals?  A little more work, but you don't have to worry about minimums and maximums.  And since you have quite a while to prepare for this, some Excel expert should be able to step forward and put together a program that could eliminate most of the hassle for both the participants and the administrator.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

I think the whole point is picking the guys facing the teams they can do well against.

I might be the minority, but if you work hard enough to plan this all out, you should be rewarded.