WBB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by wheatonc, March 03, 2005, 06:18:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gregory Sager

NPU opens the season tomorrow afternoon in the crackerbox by hosting Olivet. The Comets, who went 22-4 in 2013-14 and beat North Park by seven in a game played at Olivet last December, are picked to finish third in the MIAA. Their size is intimidating; they're led by 6'4 center Stefanie Lang (21 ppg, 13.9 rpg), who tied for the most double-doubles in D3 women's basketball last year (she put up 23 and 21 against NPU) and 6'1 forward Carli Reid (11.2 ppg, 6.5 rpg).

The game will feature a t-shirt fundraiser to benefit research for a cure for Diffuse Intrinsic Pontine Glioma, the form of brain cancer that has stricken Lauren Hill of Mount St. Joseph.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Gregory Sager

North Park 58
Olivet 45

Liz Rehberger: 20 pts, 6 rebs, 4:1 a:to, 4 stls
Annie Shain: 10 pts, 6 rebs, 3:0 a:to
Amani Davis: 6 rebs, 4 stls
Rachel Torres: 4 stls

The Vikings picked up a nice season-opening win today. Although I didn't see it, it would appear that the keys to the win were their limiting the vastly-bigger Comets to only a five-rebound advantage, and their managing to keep the Comets off of the free-throw line. Olivet attempted only two FTs all night, missing both of them. When you have a 6'5 center and a 6'1 power forward, you should be toeing the line a lot more than that. Olivet also turned the ball over 28 times, with 16 of those turnovers being Vikings steals.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

iwu70

To my surprise, my Titans got two wins out in Iowa on the weekend.  Seems this team has some speed, some trey shooting chops, and surely some tenacity.  One win was easy, the other by a single point, first over Mount Saint Mary, then a close one over host Cornell.  Mia seems to be using a 9-10 player rotation, with freshmen McGraw and Ehresman in the mix off the bench.  Samantha Elsworth had a big game first, then Kasey Reaber the second night, playing with her injury.  Titans held their own on rebounding and got, as usual, a lot of TOs off the pressure.  Next two games are huge challenges against big WIAC teams.  But, a very positive start for the first weekend of play on the road.  Stories up on the IWU women's basketball page, with Box Scores, should you want more detail.

Way to start the season, TITANS!

IWU'70

iwu70

Titans starters were:  Ellsworth, Reaber, Holness, Beoletto, and Weber.  Mia Smith has 4-5 others coming on the bench, playing major minutes so far.  Both freshmen, McGraw and Ehresman, getting some pretty substantial PT. 

IWU70

Madison135

Just looked at the box score from last 2 games. Not shooting great percentage but winning. Reaber seems do be doing a lot all the way across the stat chart. Hopefully they keep it up.

iwu70

Madison, agreed.  I think the shooting percentage will come up.  Glad to see Titans have some legit trey shooters.  I think Holness will find her grove as the season goes on.  She's a quality player. Yes, Reaber is versatile, hard to stop off the dribble and shoots FTs well, even with a bum arm.  Glad to see Ellsworth have a break-out game, surely gaining confidence.  I think McGraw and Ehresman are really going to contribute and develop very fast at the CCIW varsity level.  And, they're around for a long long time.  :)  Gotta be pretty optimistic after this past weekend, though I know some losses are likely coming to WIAC schools, with greater size.  We'll see.  I'd be very happy to continue to see this 10-11 player rotation, keeping everyone active, fresh and involved.  Titans really showed some tenacity and spunk.   I think Mia is a superb coach.  If the Titans come out of the pre-CCIW period at 7-4, that would be amazing.  Time will tell.

IWU70

Gregory Sager

Final from South Bend:

North Park 92
St. Mary's (IN) 68

Liz Rehberger: 17 pts, 5 stls
Kennedy Kantner: 14 pts, 6 rebs
Nikki Przybyslawski: 13 pts, 6 rebs, 5:2 a:to
Amani Davis: 12 pts, 3 stls
Annie Shain: 12 pts

The Vikings, after a slow start in which they were stuck on three points for the first six and a half minutes of the game, caught fire with an 18-0 run in the middle of the first half and then ran away and hid. Amanda Crockett was able to give double-digit minutes to all 11 Vikings who played, and NPU pilfered 16 steals out of SMC's 25 turnovers and shot a sparkling 89% (33-37) from the free-throw line. It was particularly good to see Nikki Przybyslawski play well in front of her hometown crowd.

Wheaton beat St. Mary's (IN), 78-41, three days ago. There's not much comparison there, since a rout is a rout and SMC is clearly not up to challenging a CCIW team.

NPU is off to a good start. I'm looking forward to broadcasting my first game for this team on Friday night, when the Vikings entertain a UW-Lacrosse team that is likewise off to a 2-0 start.

iwu70

Recent scores:

EC 63 Wi-Whitewater 60,  EC going to 3-0
MU 82 Blackburn 56
Coe 82 Augie 67

Looks like EC is starting to put together a pretty good season. Time will tell.

IWU plays Stevens Point next, then Whitewater, from the WIAC.  A good test for where this Titan team may be early on.

IWU70

Gregory Sager

I said it at the end of last season, and I'll say it again: Elmhurst is going to be very dangerous this season.

iwu70

Looks to me like you are right about Elmhurst, Greg. 

Will be interesting to see how the Titans match up with Whitewater.  Game is at home @The Shirk.  Titans have Stevens Point first, away.

IWU'70

Madison135

I see wheaton beat aurora university last night. Just looked at wheaton non- conference schedule they play a real soft schedule think that could hurt there ncaa bid.

iwu70

Yes, here's the games from last night:

WC 83 Aurora 25  (do I hear someone say "cupcake?")
NC 100 St. Mary's Ind. 84

I don't have a score on LX-WI vs. NPU last evening.

Titans play at Stevens Point this afternoon, Saturday, at 2 p.m.  A tough match-up for the vertically challenged Titans.  Video link on the Titan women's basketball page. 

Nice piece in today's Pgraph on the Titan's 2-0 start and strong compliments from Coach Smith on how hard this team plays.   

Titans also face a WIAC challenge on Tuesday night at home vs. Whitewater.    Home opener that evening for the men and the women.   All good, tough tests for CCIW play later on.  Titan men will face a pre-season first team All-American from MSOE. 

Hope'n for a big crowd at the Shirk, but unlikely as most students will be splitting campus by then for Thanksgiving break.  The community and the "Titan faithful" will be there. 

A happy Turkey Day to all CCIW chatsters.

IWU70

Roundball999

Quote from: Madison135 on November 22, 2014, 11:16:04 AM
I see wheaton beat aurora university last night. Just looked at wheaton non- conference schedule they play a real soft schedule think that could hurt there ncaa bid.

Not sure about the rest, but playing Hope at Hope next Tuesday is no picnic.

iwu70

IWU down 34-24 at the half vs. Point in Wisconsin.  Titans out-sized in this one, a foul fest, with lots of problems with the Titan press and pressure.  Reach-in fouls killing the Titan defence.  From what I see so far, IWU will have some trouble this year scoring points.  Lots of inexperience out there on the floor.  I'm sure these players will mature, grow fast, but this is clearly a team, a work, in progress.  Perhaps Mia can make half time adjustments, but Point is a big, more experienced team with a pretty good PG, so hard to get the normal turnovers of the pressure.  Titans have to rebound better, block out, and get some shots to fall to get back in this one.  Perhaps part of the "learning process" for this time of year before CCIW play.  Ehresman started at PG today.  Several Titans in foul trouble going into the second half.  Point has some big big players.

IWU70

iwu70

Speed and pressure (and perhaps fitness too) kills.  Titans roaring back, playing better.  Tale of two halves.  Titans up 11 now with 11 to go, second half.  An amazing turn-around.

Go Titans.

'70