MBB: Minnesota Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by miac newbie, February 17, 2005, 03:57:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SUMMIT!!!!!

Quote from: bball1122 on March 25, 2018, 03:05:21 PM
Quote from: miacmaniac on March 21, 2018, 07:19:35 PM
I've heard a couple of interesting rumors about possible candidates for the Mac job. One in particular made my ears perk up-- a former MIAC player with deep local ties, who I remember as an energetic player (which may serve him well in recruiting) who is now a D-I assistant. He'd be a very good fit at Mac. As I hear it, Mac wants the position filled by mid April which leaves the new guy- whoever he may be- at a disadvantage in 2018 recruiting wars.

I've heard a name too - did the person you are referring to play at two different MIAC institutions, schools that have recently finished at very different ends of the standings?
I believe we've heard the same name, if the name you're alluding to is currently not far from Schenectady? I think hiring him would be a stroke of genius by Mac-- an excellent fit that they can get for low-budget contract.
After the game, the king and pawn go into the same box.

Italian proverb

bball1122

tomt4525

6'4" Owatonna F, Nolan Malo, will play basketball at Gusavus Adolphus.

Smitty Oom

Quote from: tomt4525 on April 08, 2018, 07:24:21 PM
6'4" Owatonna F, Nolan Malo, will play basketball at Gusavus Adolphus.

Nolan looks like he will be a solid player in the MIAC, I know a lot of teams were after him. he will fit the mold of a GAC player, long and rangy with some decent skill for a post man.

His high school teammate, Andrew Jackson, will be attending Hamline.

Also going to Hamline is 6' G Luke Siwek from Rosemount.

tomt4525

2018 G Drake From (6-1) of Ellsworth (WI) has committed to playing college basketball at St. Mary's.

Smitty Oom

Cretin Derham Hall G Ryan Larson has committed to play hoops at Wofford next year. I know UST was after him, but he had a very good senior season and played his way to D1. That would have been an amazing get for Coach Tauer and company in purple.

tomt4525

Osseo 6'1" PG, Zach Theisen, will continue his basketball career at St Thomas.  Big commit for the Tommies.

SUMMIT!!!!!

From multiple sources, Mac has narrowed the field of 170+ applicants to The Final Four, one of which is the person whose name we both heard, bball1122.  No word if Drake Palmer's application led to an interview for him :D

Italian proverb

bball1122

I've heard a couple other names.  One associated with a school that has been mentioned with Mac since about December, another who may also have purple colored glasses.  You hear anything on either of those?

SUMMIT!!!!!

Affirmative on the tinted specs, bball.  I assume they will be making an announcement soon, as I'd heard they wanted the person in place by the end of April at the latest.

Italian proverb

bball1122

Mac makes it official:

https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/status/988425362689445888

Hiring Abe Woldeslassie, 2008 grad of Macalester.  Spent his first two years at UST, transferred to Mac and had a very good final two seasons at Mac.   Has been an assistant at Dartmouth, Davidson, and most recently Siena.  I think this is a very good hire by Mac - lots of experience, East Coast connections for recruiting, knows the MIAC, and maybe most importantly, knows Mac.   

tomt4525

Versatile St. Thomas Academy senior  Sam Vascellaro has committed to St. Thomas for college basketball.

Sam led the Cadets in scoring and rebounding while helping bring STA back to the state tournament. Congrats!

Smitty Oom

For those in the Twin Cities area, his mom and dad are Frank and Amelia Vascellaro of the WCCO news crew. Supposedly a very solid player, will be interesting to see how he turns out at UST.

From what I have garnered on Coach Abe Woldeslassie, it sounds like MAC hired the guy for the job. Hopefully he can make strides in turning around the program, but it is will be no easy task for a guy that will not be returning a lot next year and is behind in the recruiting process.

SUMMIT!!!!!

Quote from: bball1122 on April 23, 2018, 11:50:04 AM
Mac makes it official:

https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/status/988425362689445888

Hiring Abe Woldeslassie, 2008 grad of Macalester.  Spent his first two years at UST, transferred to Mac and had a very good final two seasons at Mac.   Has been an assistant at Dartmouth, Davidson, and most recently Siena.  I think this is a very good hire by Mac - lots of experience, East Coast connections for recruiting, knows the MIAC, and maybe most importantly, knows Mac.
Agreed that this is a good hire. Abe's enthusiasm alone will be a major improvement. His track record as an assistant is solid, his former bosses in D1 speak highly of him. He knows the in and outs and the pitfalls of being at Mac.  I give him 3 year to have Mac up there with Hamline  & Cord on the fringe of the playoff chase.

Italian proverb

SUMMIT!!!!!

Quote from: Smitty Oom on April 23, 2018, 11:54:11 PM
For those in the Twin Cities area, his mom and dad are Frank and Amelia Vascellaro of the WCCO news crew. Supposedly a very solid player, will be interesting to see how he turns out at UST.

From what I have garnered on Coach Abe Woldeslassie, it sounds like MAC hired the guy for the job. Hopefully he can make strides in turning around the program, but it is will be no easy task for a guy that will not be returning a lot next year and is behind in the recruiting process.
Tommie football dealt with Vince Lombardi Jr, and baseball survived having George Brett's kid play, I'm  sure the hoops program can handle the  'CCO duo's kid. I can see it now-- 4-News at 10: Courtside in The Shoe

Italian proverb