FB: Minnesota Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:19:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom Thumb

So Luke Poorman to UMHB? Interesting. No more Robinson??

SUMMIT!!!!!

Quote from: 57Johnnie on April 06, 2018, 09:29:28 PM
Quote from: OzJohnnie on April 06, 2018, 09:12:13 PM
Quote from: 57Johnnie on April 06, 2018, 06:35:43 AM
I believe that tomorrow is:

NATIONAL BEER DAY

The first Friday in August every year. I don't recall this holiday coming up on the boards before, which is hard to believe if true.
The Cullen-Harrison Act allowing Americans to LEGALLY chug beer after some dry years went into effect on April 7, 1922 and NATIONAL BEER DAY has been celebrated ever since.
Of course not many posters were there :)
I personally think it should be a major national holiday.

I'm hurt that you doubted me Oz. Johnnies don't prevaricate :)
Right act but wrong year--heck even the wrong decade! According to the Benedictine nuns I had in grade school. Prohibition didn't end till FDR was in office and he wasn't sworn in till March 1933. But the Cullen-Harrison Act was passed 3/21/33 and took effect April 7 1933https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cullen%E2%80%93Harrison_Act  (didn't they teach facts at SJ2 in the 50s? <smrik>)
After the game, the king and pawn go into the same box.

Italian proverb

OzJohnnie

Today the Mighty Hawks take on the Richmond Tigers, defending Premiers.  It should be a cracking game.  We take off for the G in a couple hours to get our seats and get ready to ruuuuuuuuuumble.

The Hawks' first two victories this year have been notable for the extremely effective defensive forward press backed up by a smothering midfield zone if an opponent slips by the press.  The Hawks lead the league in scores off turnovers by a long way.  They also lead the league in scoring off stoppages in play.  The hard pressing defense is filled largely with a new cast of players after a big player turnover in the last two seasons but the entire high-octane premiership front line remains and it looks like the Hawks have hit a very potent game plan this year.  We'll see where it leads.

Richmond, on the other hand, play less a structured system and more manic man-on-man individual brilliance.  The best six players on the side are mega-stars and carry the rest of the team.  When they get a fast, fluid game going then they are very hard to stop.  But when you can shutdown the passing lanes and stifle the creative opportunities for Richmond's top six then the little team structure they do have completely breaks down as individuals try to hero the win.

So it should be an exciting clash of not only top sides but competing competitive philosophies.  The average victory between the sides has been 50 points over the last five times they have played, Hawthorn winning three and Richmond winning two.  It's a clash of styles in which the winner runs rampant.

Go the Hawks!
[  

Tom Thumb

Looks like after UST travels up to Canada to play the North Winnipeg Nomads, they will head off to Italy and Ireland: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIhajrBfaOE

https://twitter.com/UST_Football/status/978665076671635457

MiacMan

Is it just me or are the ESPN hockey announcers totally biased in favor of Notre Dame? I am not even a UMD fan it seems really bad? I'm not sure what game they are watching? UMD has been taking it to the Irish and all they can talk about is how ND is controlling the game?

57Johnnie

The older the violin - the sweeter the music!

BDB

Quote from: 57Johnnie on April 07, 2018, 10:34:13 PM
Let's hear it for the Bulldogs!!!

Booya Bulldogs!

NCAA National Champions!

OldAuggie

Sweet win for the Dogs! They play a style that does not allow a team to come back, even Notre Dame who is over rated IMO. UMD lost 10 players from last year, they reload and get it done.
MIAC champions 1928, 1997

OzJohnnie

Good win for the Bulldoggies!  I reckon it will be a crazy party in Duluth tonight.  Those board residents with kids in Duluth should not expect a coherent phone call for at least two days. (You know who you are. ;))

The Hawks, unfortunately, went down by 13 points. The game wasn’t entirely disappointing and the Hawks, bar a shocking second quarter full of skill errors and indecision, played well enough.  I reckon the four more days recovery time from last week’s game coupled with the unseasonably warm 88 degree day gave the Richmond Tigers extra legs and they were able to run harder for longer in the last quarter as the Hawks tried to fight back.

On to the Melbourne Demons next week for an important match setting up early season positioning in the standings.
[  

MUC57

miacmaniac

Thanks for the correction on the Cullen-Harrison Act. I trusted my friend 57Johnnie. He got a little mixed up. But hey, he is the same age as me. We all know - I'm old. I get mixed up and I forget things.
Even though the Act wasn't passed until 1933, I can safely say 57Johnnie and I were still NOT present for the signing.
Miacmaniac, thanks for setting the record straight. However; every day can be, and is, National Beer Day. I, myself, will have a cold one (or more) later ☠🍺🇷🇴

As we say in Romanian, "noroc"! 🍺🇷🇴
I'm old! I get mixed up and I forget things! Go Everybody! 🏈 ☠

BDB

Looks like the DPD had the party downtown under control.  8-)

Quote from: OzJohnnie on April 08, 2018, 02:35:13 AM
Good win for the Bulldoggies!  I reckon it will be a crazy party in Duluth tonight.)

http://www.kbjr6.com/story/37904353/umd-fans-in-duluth-celebrate-national-title

badgerwarhawk

Quote from: MiacMan on April 07, 2018, 09:54:17 PM
Is it just me or are the ESPN hockey announcers totally biased in favor of Notre Dame? I am not even a UMD fan it seems really bad? I'm not sure what game they are watching? UMD has been taking it to the Irish and all they can talk about is how ND is controlling the game?

In this situation there is always the classic response.....SCOREBOARD.    Congrats Bulldogs
"Just think twice is my only advice."

OldAuggie

I watched UMD in every playoff game this year and the announcers have been clearly hoping the larger market team will win. There is a bias for the larger audience and I am guessing the announcers are judged by the ratings. Just my guess after hearing the same BS throughout the tournament.
MIAC champions 1928, 1997

AO

Quote from: OldAuggie on April 08, 2018, 02:09:33 PM
I watched UMD in every playoff game this year and the announcers have been clearly hoping the larger market team will win. There is a bias for the larger audience and I am guessing the announcers are judged by the ratings. Just my guess after hearing the same BS throughout the tournament.
It's college hockey, not the world series, ratings are too low for the network to care.

sjusection105

Quote from: BlueDevil Bob on April 08, 2018, 09:46:36 AM
Looks like the DPD had the party downtown under control.  8-)

Quote from: OzJohnnie on April 08, 2018, 02:35:13 AM
Good win for the Bulldoggies!  I reckon it will be a crazy party in Duluth tonight.)

http://www.kbjr6.com/story/37904353/umd-fans-in-duluth-celebrate-national-title
I certainly hope those scalawags picked up the overturned trash receptacle, outrageous behavior! 
;)
As of now they're on DOUBLE SECRET Probation!