MBB: Commonwealth Conference

Started by Warren Thompson, March 16, 2005, 05:40:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

susquejamma

Quote from: luvdahoops on February 07, 2007, 11:06:48 AM
"If Robinson is in the lineup for the Crusaders, LVC doesn't have a chance in Hell of beating them. LVC has one good player. Match the league's best defender, Bryan Majors, on Curran, and Susquehanna will easily defeat them."  --Susquejamma.

Wow!  That's a strong statement.  There haven't been many, if any, road blowouts this season, yet you're saying that if LVC enters the game with a playoff berth on the line, and playing at home, then SU won't have a problem.  I know that Robinson has proven to be a difference-maker (duh.....), but still...

Aahhhh, I love February!

Yes, but Lebanon Valley has been anything but stellar at home. It is 6-4, but look who've they've beaten: Juniata (12-9), Goucher (7-14), Arcadia (10-12), Elizabethtown (8-12), Montclair State (9-12) and McDaniel (9-12).

A response to Yoder (since he posted during my posting):

I love the sarcasm. (I didn't know it was allowed at Messiah). Yes, but one of those "best players" is Robinson, who has only played in four of those conference games -- at least according to the estimates off the top of my head -- and Susquehanna went 3-1 durng those four games.

And I never said Cuff was the best player in the Commonwealth with
Robinson out. I believe that was my good friend TheGrove. I think Curran is the best player besides Robinson. I also know Curran can't carry a team by himself.

And in response to the Marcinek comment: Well, I don't know what to say. I'm floored. (Not because your amazing analytics, but for how hilarious you are).  Tell me any other coach who could bring in a Missouri Valley Conference starter to a D3 team in the middle of nowhere. Sure, he's no Rickrode or Andrejcko, but he's a damn good coach.

susquejamma

Quote from: S.U. Press release, dated from NovemberWidener received seven of eight first-place votes and earned the top spot in the preseason poll with 56 points, followed by Lebanon Valley (46 points, 1 first-place vote), Albright (41 points), defending champion Messiah (39 points), Elizabethtown (32 points), Susquehanna (31 points), Juniata (23 points) and Moravian (22 points).

Why does the MAC even do these for every sport if it is just going to screw it up every season?

YoderFan

I had no intentions of disrespecting Marcinek. I have a lot of respect for him as a coach and as a man. I think he is great for their program and a great recruiter. I only wanted to make a point that maybe Susquehanna does not have the best defender and 2 best overall players. I apologize if I came across the wrong way with my sarcasm.

susquejamma

Quote from: YoderFan on February 07, 2007, 01:50:43 PM
I had no intentions of disrespecting Marcinek. I have a lot of respect for him as a coach and as a man. I think he is great for their program and a great recruiter. I only wanted to make a point that maybe Susquehanna does not have the best defender and 2 best overall players. I apologize if I came across the wrong way with my sarcasm.

It's cool dawg. It's hard to decipher sarcasm over the 'net. Let's hope I catch a good game(s) in Grantham!

TheGrove

Quote from: susquejamma on February 07, 2007, 01:10:58 PM

And I never said Cuff was the best player in the Commonwealth with
Robinson out. I believe that was my good friend TheGrove.

Well, now, easy killah. I didn't say that. I said if we're talking MVPs, Cuff should be considered as well. And I stand by my point that he's the one I want to see with the ball in his hands if the game's on the line. No disrespect to J-Rob, of course.

And we may have to prove that theory down the homestretch, unfortunately. There's no telling when Robinson will be back.

Oh, and I hate to bust your bubble, but it wasn't Marcinek that brought in "a Missouri Valley Conference starter to a D3 team in the middle of nowhere.' It was SU's business school.  ;D

susquejamma

Messiah def. Susquehanna
Juniata def. Etown
Albright def. Widener
Lebanon Valley def. Moravian

Three-way tie for third and fourth place between LVC, SU and Widener.

YoderFan

LVC is still one game behind Susquehanna and Widener.
Messiah -  10-1
Juniata-     7-4
Susq.-        6-5
Widener-    6-5
LVC-           5-6
The rest does not matter.

I was not impressed with Susquehanna last night. They made a few runs, but Messiah was too much for them in Grantham. Cuff was not impressive at all. Hit 2 jump shots early that were tough and contested, but I was expecting a much more rounded game out of him. All he can do is shoot. When Messiah decided to pressure him and make him put the ball on the floor he was out of his comfort zone and did not do much of anything. The player I was impressed with is Patch ( I think that was his name). The thin G/F. He is a good athlete.

Addressing Majors being the best defender in the league....
   Good defender.... No doubt about it.  Best defender.... No way. He does have quick hands, but he reaches and gambles too much to be a best defender in the league. For the amount of steals he got or created (4), he also was the cause of multiple layups for Messiah when he reached and got beat.

When Yoder got in foul trouble early in the second half, Susquehanna had a chance. When he came back in, the game was over. That is the beautiful thing about Henninger and Yoder. Henninger struggles, Yoder puts in 20. Yoder struggles, Henninger puts in 20. But enough about those 2.... Messiah just flat out plays good team basketball. Look at the stats.... 7 Falcons took 5 or more shots. They know how to share the ball.

Was disapointed not to see Robinson. For Susquehanna's cause, I hope he is able to come back soon because they could have a tough time making playoffs without him.

Warren Thompson

What is the latest word on Robinson's injury?

YoderFan

Let us switch the focus now from players to coaches. If Rick Van Pelt does not get coach of the year this year.... some people should get slapped. Somehow the last 2 years he did not get the nod, even though he truly deserved both of them. I believe Ferry got it 2 years ago and DoooDUH somehow got it last year. Give the man some credit when credit is due. 3 years ago Messiah was picked to finish 6 or 7 in the league and finished tied for second. Last year they were picked to finish 5th and finished 2 in regular season and won the tournament. This year they are picked 4th and are going to win the regular season. Give the man some respect.

I can only think of the analogy "Two ships passing in the night." when the voters did not see him as coach of the year before.

By the way... does anyone know if that is Steve King coaching for Messiah? The same Steve King who made the shot at Widener to win the conference? I thought I saw him on the bench and did not know if he is hurt and had a 7th year of eligibility like Casey Stitzel did at Widener or if he stayed around to coach. What is he doing with himself these days? Does he still athletic tape his whole body when he coaches?

TheGrove

Quote from: Warren Thompson on February 08, 2007, 07:51:03 AM
What is the latest word on Robinson's injury?

Last I heard (and granted, this was last Friday), they still didn't know how long it would be. I think they're waiting til it's fully healed and not taking any chances.

mac11fan

Yoderfan,

If Yoder and Henninger are as good as you say, then why does Van Pelt deserve the coach of the year award. I believe the award this year goes to Greg Curley at Juniata who currently has his overachieving eagles in 2nd place.
               On the other hand i believe Messiah might be in over there heads in the playoffs if they face SU with Robinson. Messiah has no one to guard Robinson. Right now I know the crusaders are struggling but when playoffs roll around I know no one wants the Crusaders in the first round thats for sure.

YoderFan

Curely would not be a bad choice. But Van Pelt has had Messiah overachieve the last 3 years. He deserves it now. The past 2 years have seen the coach of the year go to the first place team and not only is Messiah in first place, but has pretty much clinched first with 3 games left.

I agree with your comment with Susquehanna. I know if I were playing, I would not want to draw SU with Robinson in the first round or the championship round. They definitely have the capability of knocking anyone off... with or without him. They are a dangerous team with Robinson.  I just think they will have a tough time getting in IF he does not some back in time for the regular season. I am not saying they will not get in, just saying it will not be easy.

FalconFan

Yes, that is Steve King you see on the bench.  He joined the coaching staff this year.

http://www.messiah.edu/athletics/mens_basketball/coaches/s_king.html

susquejamma

Congrats to Messiah for getting the No. 4 spot in the regional rankings.

luvdahoops

Here are my picks for February 10 action...

Etown @ Widener:  Though the Pioneers continue to slide, I have to think if Etown grabs an upset here, WU is done for the year.  This is a must-win for the Pioneers, and again they'll struggle...but Widener will win it.

Albright @ Susquehanna:  Albright, by winning its last three games, could sneak into the playoffs.  But Susquehanna is hungry, with or without Robinson, so I suspect the Crusaders will get past AC.

Messiah @ Moravian:  Moravian is capable of springing the upset (as is everyone against everyone else in this league), but the Falcons have played very well on the road (except for at Juniata).  Messiah will win.

LVC @ Juniata:  Juniata might be the toughest place to play in the Commonwealth, it seems.  Though LVC is in the playoff race, Juniata wants to grab that second seed and won't disappoint its home fans.

There you have it.  In this wacky league, if I can go 3-1 this weekend that'll be a good showing.

Anybody else care to make some picks?