MBB: North Coast Athletic Conference

Started by WoosterFAN, January 27, 2005, 10:51:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WoosterFAN

For those who picked JCU....Congrats.

#15 John Carroll 86, Otterbein 73
I can imagine no more rewarding a career. And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction:
"I served in the United States Navy" John F Kennedy

C.M.L.

bishopsfan

Thank you Billy for starting a conversation about basketball.  I realize that Wooster has a very good baseball team but I would much rather talk hoops.  Just my opinion!!  I was just starting to get curious about incoming recruits from around the league.  Does anyone have any info? Except for Wooster and Witt the rest of the league really needs some help.  Hopefully the rest of the league, including OWU, can get some guys that will be able to contribute and make the league more competitive.  Man I can't wait for November!!!
Go Bishops!!

David Collinge

I have been told they will show up in Springfield in a few months.

You never say directly that these are basketball recruits.  Are they, or are you just assuming that they are?  Could it be that these are three kids who just want to attend Wittenberg, for whatever reason, just like hundreds of others each year?    

Another interesting schedule for the Scots, with a heavy presence of teams coming off good-but-not-great seasons, including high finishers in three of the toughest conferences in D3 hoops.  
Van Wie: Figure UST (17-9, 2nd place MIAC) to take on Stout (13-11, t4th WIAC) in the first round, with Wooster meeting K'zoo (7-18).  UST was at the Van Wie two season ago, losing to Wooster by 12.  Scot fans will recall losing at Kalamazoo 3 season back, one of just 3 losses (Witt, Williams) in the run to national 3rd place.  Don't be lulled by Stout's ordinary record; any upper-division WIAC team is a threat to beat anybody, anywhere, anytime.
E&H Invite:  Methodist was 20-8, and won the USAC regular season and tournament titles.  Shenandoah, who played Wooster close in January, finished 3rd in that conference.  Thomas More (7-18) is joining the PrAC this year, and might be moved into the GL Region by the NCAA.  If so, this could be one of a maximum six non-conference regional games for the Scots.  E&H was 10-15 but is always a threat under legendary coach Bob Johnson; they beat ODAC champ VWC in January, when VWC was 11-0.
Mose Hole: We all know about B-WC (20-9), who will have Tori Davis back.  Lycoming went 17-8 and will doubtless face the Jackets in the first game.  Thiel (8-19) gets the traditional first-round thumping this year, the spot that used to be CWRU's.
W&J Classic:  The hosts (10-18) were terrible last year, and SUNY-Maritime (3-22, 1-13 in the abysmal Skyline Conf.) was worse.  New Jersey was 17-9 and finished 2nd (to Ramapo) in the NJAC, and I'd expect them the be the Scots' first round opponent.

And Wittenberg before Christmas?  Wow.

hopefan

Dave : ???legendary????? coach Bob Johnson  -  because I knew him long ago, I guess I'm wondering what has qualified him as "legendary"?????  (ok, I know he's been at E&H for over 20 years)
The only thing not to be liked in Florida is no D3 hoops!!!

WoosterFAN

Wooster has a trip to VA and a trip to PA.  Should we plan on another trip east in MAR2006?
What do we need?
I can imagine no more rewarding a career. And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction:
"I served in the United States Navy" John F Kennedy

billy_pilgrim

Yes, recruits...as I said, I don't know of any Lutheran background for any of the three (though I'm fairly certain in saying that Coleman is not).

Oh, and before anyone accuses me of being sour over Earlham not getting any of the three, the Quakers only showed moderate interest in one (Beck).

In fact, it was such lack of interest that led me to shake my head upon seeing intending to play for the Tigers. I don't think Bill Brown has found diamonds in the rough. I guess I'm just amazed that he has that much money with which to mine.
"There's no energy. What is it with you guys? I don't get it. You win one game against a decent team and then you think you just have to show up to win on the road? Now I know why Bob Knight gets caught on film hitting kids on the chin!"
Earlham head coach Jeff Justus

David Collinge

I'm fairly sure that there are students at Witt who are neither Lutheran nor basketball players, but I guess you mean to say definitively that they are basketball recruits.  In which case I'd guess that they see something in them that you don't, or vice versa.

Bob Johnson may not be the most successful coach in D3, but he's well-respected for having made so much lemonade from so many lemons over the years.

I wouldn't plan on a March trip east, Fan, but I wouldn't rule it out either.  I'm sure that's the goal of this team.  The only graduation losses were Matt Schlingman, Blake Mealer, and Isaac Ward.  Each will be hard to replace in his own way, but if Cody Drake is the post-playing stud he's reputed to be, that will go a long way towards salving the wound.  The Scots will return 4 starters and 10 players that averaged at least 5 minutes, and be led by all-conference performers Kyle Witucky and Tom Port.  And that's before we know what new faces will arrive this fall.  I'd say that the goals for this team are sky-high, or at least as high as the Blue Ridge Parkway! http://discus.d3hoops.com/discus/clipart/happy.gif" ALT=":-)" BORDER=0>

Scots Hoops Fan

David, what's the story on Cody Drake?  Was he injured last year?  I don't remember seeing him even in any JV action.  Just curious, because I would have thought that if he was as good as advertised, he would at least suit up and possibly see some PT as a frosh like Bradley and Stevens did their freshman seasons. Maybe I just wasn't paying close enough attention.

As for Wooster's goals for the upcoming season, I would say that Salem is definately a goal of this team.  Once again they have a ton of talent back with only a couple of key losses.  And that doesn't include the newbies either, of which you can always count on Moore & the rest of his staff to bring in at least a couple of studs.

Sorry Bishopsfan, but I have to give props to the Fighting Scot Baseball team as well.  They swept all of the major conference awards this past season.  Congrats to:

Luke Ullman - Player of the Year  
Jon Oliver - Picher of the Year
Pat Christensen - Newcomer of the Year

Good luck to the Scots as they represent the NCAC in the Regionals and hopefully on to the DIII World Series for the first time since 1997!

GO SCOTS!!!

David Collinge

Cody was out last year rehabbing an injury he suffered in a pre-season car accident--it was his foot IIRC (but I often don't RC, so corrections and amplifications are welcome.)

Scots Hoops Fan

Thanks for that DC.  I would imagine Cody should still have 4 years of eligibility left.  It will be interesting if he will use them.  I have also heard that Tom Port is going to use his 2 remaining years of eligibility.

GO SCOTS!!!

Scott Fendley

Does Wooster have a grad program or something? Wouldn't Port have graduated in four years?

Scots Hoops Fan

When Port transferred in from Miami of Ohio he had 4 years of eligibility to play basketball at the College of Wooster if he chose to use them.  From what I've heard he is going to use all 4 years.  As for the question of graduating in 4 years, there is no rule that states that you have to graduate in 4 years.  It took me 5 years and I had some friends that we used to joke were on the 10 year plan.  They were professional students.http://discus.d3hoops.com/discus/clipart/happy.gif" border=0>

Here is some baseball news to pass along:

Wooster gained the #1 seed in their regional which will be held at a neutral site this coming weekend.  Rose-Hulman will be hosting the regional that includes the following teams:

#1 - The College of Wooster (Ohio) 33-7  
#2 - Manchester College (Ind.) 30-12  
#3 - Otterbein College (Ohio) 28-14  
#4 - Webster University (Mo.) 24-11  
#5 - Millsaps College (Miss.) 29-15  
#6 - Adrian College (Mich.) 26-14  

GO SCOTS!!!

David Collinge

SHF, there's a baseball chat started over in the Midwest Region.  It is pretty much dormant, but if you were looking to find people who actually wanted to discuss the upcoming playoffs, you might try posting there.

Ryan Snyder was a fifth-year senior for Wooster last year.  He had transferred to Kent State after his plebe year (for personal, not basketball, reasons) but transferred back the following season, so he still had three years of eligibility left.  He arranged it so that he was still a matriculated student in that fifth year.  For most D3 players who have an opportunity to play as a fifth-year senior, I think the issue is less about academic credits and more about finances.  At least Snyder and Port spent their extra years at state universities, which lessens the bite a bit.  If Drake was indeed redshirted (no reason to suspect otherwise), he (or his folks) are looking at five years of Wooster tuition for him to play four years of hoops.  I know zilch about Cody or his family, but that would be a mighty big hit on the pocketbook of Average Joe.

Scott Fendley

I know you can take as long as you want, but it's very rare here to be on the five-year plan because of the way the courses and degrees are structured.