FB: Liberty League

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 04:58:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jonny Utah

Also saw this on footballscoop.com

RPI is looking to fill a few open dates in 2018, 2019, and 2020. In 2018, the program needs a game on 9/22/2018 and 9/29/2018. 2019 dates are Week #1 (9/7/2019), Week #4 (9/28/2019) & Week #5 (10/5/2019). Dates in 2020 include Week #1 (9/5/2020), Week #3 (9/19/2020), Week #4 (9/26/2020) & Week #5 (10/3/2020). Interested programs can contact head coach Ralph Isernia at isernr@rpi.edu.

Jonny Utah

Also (even though it mentions d2).....

QuoteNorth Alabama (D-II): North Alabama is in search of a Division II game on September 9th, 2017. We are willing to talk home or away with programs. Interested programs can contact defensive line coach Zach Lisko at zlisko@una.edu.

Come one Hobart......make the call.  I'd love to see this game.

Also:

UW-Oshkosh is searching for two non-conference opponents for the 2017 season. Open dates are Sept. 9, 16, 23. Interested in all options, possible guarantees available. Please contact Spencer Erickson at ericks63@uwosh.edu or call (715) 412-3473 if interested.

Hawks88

QuoteNorth Alabama (D-II): North Alabama is in search of a Division II game on September 9th, 2017. We are willing to talk home or away with programs. Interested programs can contact defensive line coach Zach Lisko at zlisko@una.edu.

Come one Hobart......make the call.  I'd love to see this game.

[/quote]
UNA is actually no longer DII. This fall will be their first as FCS.

dlippiel

Quote from: Bombers798891 on February 17, 2017, 09:32:17 AM
Quote from: dlip on February 16, 2017, 07:02:16 PM
Quote from: Pat Coleman on February 16, 2017, 06:07:00 PM
We were having a conversation about this as a team this morning as I was punching this schedule into the site:
http://www.d3football.com/teams/Union/2017/index

You may be pumped but it's an amazingly weak schedule. Union could go 5-0 against this group and finish 6-4.

Absolutely Pat, dlip concurs with your statement 100%. However, looking at how far we fell as a program and remembering how poorly that felt, all dlip is looking at is positives for the program. At this point dlip is not concerned about the SOS (which dlip has always been a huge fan of) but he is concerned with the program continuing to grow and move forward like we did last season. Honestly, the slower the better.

This Dutchmen fan, who loves the tradition of Union Football with all his heart believes wholeheartedly that it will take some time, and rightfully so, before Union even thinks about being a part of that second tier of D3 programs like dlipp believes they once were (at one point in time). dlip feels that building the foundation of the program with some wins, some success on the football field, regardless of the opponent, will bring back positive feelings around the program (which we felt again last year for the first time in quite awhile). At this point, IDHO we have no business trying to play with the big boys and even worrying about our SOS until we have put in the work and time needed to sustain success both on and off the field. Maybe in a year or two our SOS may become relevant again, important again. However 6-4 is welcomed by dlip and some confidence and success for the players far outweighs the risk of trying to step up too fast. Time to be humbled and accept where we are at.

To be honest, and this is nothing against the current players at Union, but coming from where we were, dlip doesn't even think we have the right to feel we are above any of the teams on the schedule. This is really where Union is IDHO.

I like your take Dlip.

As fans, we obviously want our teams to be the best they can. And losses can be amazing games too. (My all-time favorite Bomber game that I attended might have been their 1994 Semifinal loss to W&J) But there's also something to be said for just the fun of watching your team winning a game, and not worrying about how good the team is, or the SOS or what it all means. Wins are fun. This is especially true if they haven't been terribly successful in recent years.

I mean, I guess if you were playing like, College of Faith, to the point where the game is essentially a glorified scrimmage, there'd be little joy in the win. But other than that, I say, enjoy the wins, Dlip

Thanks Bombers! Dlip wishes the Bombers a great upcoming season and is super excited and proud to have them as a part of the LL!

ITH radio

Union's schedule is....interesting. Frank and I discussed it over the wkd and while I didn't like it from a competition standpoint, it does makes sense to help the program rebuild (and to play in areas with a lot of alumni).

As for Hobart's schedule, I had mixed reactions. On one hand the OOC games are pretty good with BP (although w/o Andrews they may fall back in spite of the fact their defense returns intact), Endicott (5-5), Shenandoah (6-4 last year, brings Coach Yoder back home) and 'Wick (the latter not a great program but a high-flying offense that could be an interesting test for the Hobart D). On the other, two bye weeks could backfire down the stretch like it did in the 2013 season.

I wrote in the CA blog on 2/13 that this is most "travel friendly" schedule Hobart's had in years. 5 home games, including 3 straight to open Sept, and the longest road trip is under 180 miles to Shocktown in mid to late October. Statesmen are 15-2 at home last three seasons, and you know Cragg will be playing for a home playoff(s) games which is probably why they'll stick with nine games, but I'd love to see them get a 10th.
Follow us on twitter @D3FBHuddle

Bombers798891

Quote from: Jonny "Utes" Utah on February 18, 2017, 08:53:56 AM
Quote from: Bombers798891 on February 17, 2017, 09:40:48 AM
Dan Swanstrom's Twitter feed is fun to follow. Judging by his tweets, IC's brought in four players from NY, one from Philly, and one from Fla. so far. Nothing in these numbers is super notable thus far, but I'll be interested to see how it continues.

Yes I follow him too, also a bunch of NJ guys mentioned with some funny memes. 

Ultimately, there are a lot of ways to run a program, and the narrative tends to change on if you win. Win with kind of a buttoned down, more serious approach? It's because you focus on the game, and not any of the silly hype. Lose with it and the program is stale and needs a change. Do this kind of stuff and win? You've injected new life and energy into the program. Do it and lose? It's too loose.

I've learned that, ultimately, this stuff probably appeals to 16/17 year old kids, just like black alternate jerseys, night games, and all the rest. I'm sure LittleBombers798891 is going to be into all sorts of odd stuff in 16 years. She's already making googily eyes at the 6-month old son of her nanny, and I don't get what's she sees in him at all. No job. No car. No career plan. Makes zero sense.

Bombers798891

ITH radio

Also noted IC doesn't leave NYS the entire season, which I guess isn't that uncommon on one hand, but back in E8 they did have to go to MD to play Frosty and Sals....

Bombers798891

Quote from: ITH radio on February 23, 2017, 10:58:58 AM
Also noted IC doesn't leave NYS the entire season, which I guess isn't that uncommon on one hand, but back in E8 they did have to go to MD to play Frosty and Sals....

And they would routinely play teams from PA/MA. That said, those trips were, like going to Norwich, more trouble that they were worth.

This might also be a temporary thing. We know they're going to keep Cortland every year. Which of the other E8 teams will they hang onto?

UfanBill

I'm a little late to the party as I just now became aware that some LL 2017 schedules are out. As a Union fan I'll admit to being somewhat shocked at the Dutchman schedule for this fall. It starts out just fine with an OOC test against ECFC Champ Husson though the trip to Bangor, Maine is daunting. Next, a home game with Coast Guard...OK, former LL opponent but ...Here's where things get ??? at least for me. No disrespect to Gallaudet but huh? (OK I know there are alumni in the DC area). Curry for the Boston alumni (maybe we couldn't get Mt.Ida, Norwich or Castleton, again no alumni there) but there's no tradition with them so''... Morrisville, well E8 and NOT Hartwick but really? I'm surprised that all three former LL teams are off the schedule, I thought maybe WPI would remain OOC. The question is why only FOUR home games? Sad that "U" now needs the same teams that a few years ago would beg to be on their schedule. I saw a lot of great growth with coach Behrman's Dutchmen last season. I always believe Union can play with ANY team on it's past schedule, even when the W/L record didn't go their way. I'm hoping this year's opponents are just a matter of "you take who you can get" and not a reflection of where Union views itself in the future. In a few years maybe a LL/E8 merger will make this all moot. Yeah, maybe...in the meantime, WIN SOME GAMES. Let's Go "U"!!! 
"You don't stop playing because you got old, you got old because you stopped playing" 🏈🏀⚾🎿⛳

Bartman

Quote from: UfanBill on March 03, 2017, 05:11:51 PM
I'm a little late to the party as I just now became aware that some LL 2017 schedules are out. As a Union fan I'll admit to being somewhat shocked at the Dutchman schedule for this fall. It starts out just fine with an OOC test against ECFC Champ Husson though the trip to Bangor, Maine is daunting. Next, a home game with Coast Guard...OK, former LL opponent but ...Here's where things get ??? at least for me. No disrespect to Gallaudet but huh? (OK I know there are alumni in the DC area). Curry for the Boston alumni (maybe we couldn't get Mt.Ida, Norwich or Castleton, again no alumni there) but there's no tradition with them so''... Morrisville, well E8 and NOT Hartwick but really? I'm surprised that all three former LL teams are off the schedule, I thought maybe WPI would remain OOC. The question is why only FOUR home games? Sad that "U" now needs the same teams that a few years ago would beg to be on their schedule. I saw a lot of great growth with coach Behrman's Dutchmen last season. I always believe Union can play with ANY team on it's past schedule, even when the W/L record didn't go their way. I'm hoping this year's opponents are just a matter of "you take who you can get" and not a reflection of where Union views itself in the future. In a few years maybe a LL/E8 merger will make this all moot. Yeah, maybe...in the meantime, WIN SOME GAMES. Let's Go "U"!!!
Get the U confidence up in transition , if it helps to have a winning season can't blame the schedulers,
I expect to see the U get back to form soon under Behrman .....so I can dislike them on game day( in a respectful way, of course) the way I always have :D
"I never graduated from Iowa, but I was only there for two terms - Truman's and Eisenhower's."
Alex Karras
"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."
Max McGee
"I love football. I really love football, As far as I'm concerned, it's the second best thing in the world".
Joe Namath

Bartman

I saw an NFL scouting interview for Brandon Shed .....I find it hard to believe he could really make the transition, but then again I didn't think Ali Marpet would end up being ranked in the top third of starting NFL guards .....says he would like to emulate TO in size/receiver style....OH NO, I hope he won't cry for Sweeney they way TO cried for Romo with sunglasses on after a Playoff loss...you know..."but he is my Quarterback" :'(
   Can't wait for the S to S air attack to start again....only 6 months away
"I never graduated from Iowa, but I was only there for two terms - Truman's and Eisenhower's."
Alex Karras
"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."
Max McGee
"I love football. I really love football, As far as I'm concerned, it's the second best thing in the world".
Joe Namath

ITH radio

SLU just tweeted their 2017 schedule. Looks strong but not a lot of home games until October.
@Utica (night game)
@Norwich
vs. IC
(Bye)
@WNEU (playoff team from 2016)
@ Union
vs. Buff St
vs. UofR
vs. RPI
@ Hobart
vs. Brockport

Oh, and props to IC for scheduling Alfred in Wk 1. Great matchup to open the new season.

Bombers798891

Quote from: ITH radio on March 06, 2017, 12:23:55 PM
SLU just tweeted their 2017 schedule. Looks strong but not a lot of home games until October.
@Utica (night game)
@Norwich
vs. IC
(Bye)
@ Union
vs. Buff St
vs. UofR
vs. RPI
@ Hobart
vs. Brockport

Oh, and props to IC for scheduling Alfred in Wk 1. Great matchup to open the new season.

I hate unbalanced H/R schedules like this. There's nothing worse than realizing "Well, I'll barely get to see my team for half the season." I like being able to watch players (in person) throughout the year. In 2011, Ithaca opened at home, and then played five of the next six on the road. Throw in a bye week and they were home once from September 10 to October 22. Lousy, from a fan perspective

D3pc

Quote from: Bombers798891 on March 06, 2017, 03:56:06 PM
Quote from: ITH radio on March 06, 2017, 12:23:55 PM
@Utica (night game)
@Norwich
vs. IC
(Bye)
@ Union
vs. Buff St
vs. UofR
vs. RPI
@ Hobart
vs. Brockport

I hate unbalanced H/R schedules like this. There's nothing worse than realizing "Well, I'll barely get to see my team for half the season." I like being able to watch players (in person) throughout the year. In 2011, Ithaca opened at home, and then played five of the next six on the road. Throw in a bye week and they were home once from September 10 to October 22. Lousy, from a fan perspective

Completely agree, tougher to gage fan interest as well without the nicer/warmer days at home in the north country. Pretty impressive job scheduling though. Looks like Endicott said bye bye after getting walloped twice in a row. Good for the E8 and LL for scheduling each other even more. Would like love an Empire conference with a Liberty division and something else clever to name the other division with the empire 8 teams. The WNEU game scares me a little because SLU will most likely take a step back and WNEU will be jacked up to prove they are for real. Overall, the home/away ratio stinks but a pretty solid schedule.