FB: Old Dominion Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:13:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hscathletics

Quote from: Pat Coleman on October 25, 2014, 12:20:48 PM
We retweeted it -- spurred some discussion on the place of such things in the game.
Ah, I see it now. Hope he learned his lesson after the stat line Nance dropped on them.

odacsuperfan

Quakers are coming to the party !  Get ready HSC !

hasanova

Quote from: odacsuperfan on October 25, 2014, 09:57:54 PM
Please, not a wise post for a team that's lost 14 in a row to the Tigers.  First, take our preparations for CUA seriously, then focus on giving both CUA and HSC our best shots.

wesleydad

Quote from: jknezek on October 23, 2014, 09:39:31 PM
Quote from: wesleydad on October 23, 2014, 04:57:09 PM
Quote from: jknezek on October 23, 2014, 08:48:24 AM
Quote from: wesleydad on October 22, 2014, 07:06:44 PM
making my annual trip to Bridgewater this weekend for their homecoming.  I get to see W&L for the first time.  I think it will be a good game as W&L looks to be improving each week and Bridgewater has played pretty well so far.  Always enjoy the trip as the area is very nice and my friends at Bridgewater are even better.  The weather should be nice too.

Not really the year I want you seeing my Generals, but such is life. They are improving, but they have been really bad on the road. Hopefully last week gave them a little confidence to see out the season. Keep the word "young" in the back of your head while you watch!

JK, the game is an afterthought for the trip.  Friendship is the top priority.  I will keep in mind that they are young, but will let you know what I see that I like and dont like compared to the national scene (Wesley).  I have always enjoyed the odac games I have seen and this is my first view of W&L.

I know that feeling. We tend to go to a game or two at Birmingham Southern every year. Don't really care about the game, especially last year when Wesley ended it in the first quarter, but it's just a great place to tailgate with the family. I also try and get down to Huntingdon for a big game every year, although haven't made it yet in 2014.

Neither of these teams is likely to compare to the national scene at this time. I do have a lot of hope for the Generals based on their youth and potential to compete in the ODAC in the next couple years, but they aren't going to be national competitors. I don't know Bridgewater anywhere near as well but I suspect they are in much the same boat.

Enjoy the game. I think it will be competitive and entertaining regardless of the lack of ODAC impact.

JK, fun times and game.  It was competitive.  W&L has a ways to go though.  The offense seems to move slow compared to the one I see Salisbury run.  I figure that may be due to the team being young.  My Bridgewater friends also thought that W&L was a bit down from what they have seen recently.  Bridgewater plays pretty good defense, although I think they could get lit up by HSC this week because the few times that W&L threw the ball there were receivers open.  As far as Bridgewater goes the offense is very vanilla.  Maybe they limited what they were going to show since they have HSC this week.  It was a beautiful day for a football game and I got to see 2 teams that played a close game so it was worth the trip.

odacsuperfan

Quote from: hasanova on October 25, 2014, 10:37:54 PM
Please, not a wise post for a team that's lost 14 in a row to the Tigers.  First, take our preparations for CUA seriously, then focus on giving both CUA and HSC our best shots.
yes your right but CUA is dismal this year. Don't think HSC starting offense played in 2nd half vs CUA . Quakers should roll easily. Don't kid yourself Quakers are looking ahead to Nov 8. HSC does have a tough one against BW. E&H still in hunt too . Quakers & HSC control their own destiny. If HSC wins the next 2 they will be ODAC champs. Quakers have to win all 3 remaining.

hasanova

Quote from: odacsuperfan on October 26, 2014, 08:47:25 AM
Quote from: hasanova on October 25, 2014, 10:37:54 PM
yes your right but CUA is dismal this year. Don't think HSC starting offense played in 2nd half vs CUA . Quakers should roll easily. Don't kid yourself Quakers are looking ahead to Nov 8. HSC does have a tough one against BW. E&H still in hunt too . Quakers & HSC control their own destiny. If HSC wins the next 2 they will be ODAC champs. Quakers have to win all 3 remaining.
GC should not be looking ahead to Nov. 8, especially since CUA upset the Quakers in DC last year.  Coach Rusiewicz and his staff will not let that happen.  Guilford knows they have to win out ... that's why overlooking Catholic would be a huge mistake.  I just don't want to see posts that end up on HSC's bulletin board ... they have in the past and they've come back to bite the Quakers.  As I mentioned earlier, Guilford has not topped the Tigers since 1999, so not a lot of room for verbal bravado ... prove what you can do on the field, one game at a time.

hasanova

Final Guilford 28 at RMC 6

Former Guilford letterman Cliff Hunsucker and I drove to Ashland yesterday to watch the Quakers (6-1, 3-1) play RMC (3-4, 1-3) at their homecomng ... what a beautiful Day Field and an equally gorgeous day.  When we got on the shuttle at the elementary school just north of the college on Henry St., we recognized another former Guilford player, Mike Minor, who lives in the Chester area.  We had a great time watching the game and catching up.

As for the game, it was, in my opinion, unnecessarily close in the first half.  RMC is a solid team with good athletes, but they're a bit one-dimensional on offense.  Guilford moved the ball at will, but dropped two potential TD passes while in the red zone and then missed what are usually two chip shot (35-39 yard) FGs and ended up with zero points on both possessions.  In the kicker's defense, the US flag was at a 90 degree angle to the pole, so there was some wind.  RMC took the early 6-0 lead, but GC blocked the extra point.  In the 2nd quarter, the Quakers scored and took a 7-6 lead to the locker room.

In the 3rd Quarter, in what I believe was the pivotal series in the game, GC had a 3rd and 1 at their own 38.  A QB sneak gained about a half yard, so the Quakers were facing a 4th and 1 at their own 38 nursing a 1-point lead.  Most coaches would punt, but GC chose to go for it.  The Yellow Jackets stacked the box with 8 defenders and RB Josh Schow took the hand-off left of Center.  When he broke through the line, no one could catch him as he sprinted 62 yards for the TD and a 14-6 Guilford lead.  I know that TD energized the Guilford sideline and had to have demoralized the RMC squad.  After that, the Quakers scored two more TDs and snuffed three RMC drives with INTs.

Pedro Arruza and his staff didn't help matters by getting two 15-yard penalties while the Quakers were on offense.  One was when he protested a horse-collar penalty on an RMC defender when GC was in the red zone.  I'm not sure what the other one was, but it may have been related as Pedro came to the middle of the field to confront the official.  I know RMC was upset, but the play was on the GC sideline and looked like a pretty obvious call.

RMC has a good team, but Guilford was better on this day.   I hope the Yellow Jackets can finish strong ... so far I can sense their season is not meeting their preseason expectations.  Great facilites and beautiful campus.  Nice.

jknezek

Quote from: wesleydad on October 26, 2014, 08:32:33 AM

JK, fun times and game.  It was competitive.  W&L has a ways to go though.  The offense seems to move slow compared to the one I see Salisbury run.  I figure that may be due to the team being young.  My Bridgewater friends also thought that W&L was a bit down from what they have seen recently.  Bridgewater plays pretty good defense, although I think they could get lit up by HSC this week because the few times that W&L threw the ball there were receivers open.  As far as Bridgewater goes the offense is very vanilla.  Maybe they limited what they were going to show since they have HSC this week.  It was a beautiful day for a football game and I got to see 2 teams that played a close game so it was worth the trip.

It was at the same time as my daughter's fifth birthday party, so I didn't get to see the game. I'm not surprised at the outcome as the Generals are way down from where they were a few years ago. W&L has struggled mightily on the road and not just this year. The offense just isn't clicking. So many guys are getting touches, but no one is really establishing themselves. The 2 for 13 in passing was reminiscent of last year as well. That has to improve as I've said for two years. W&L needs to connect on 40-50% of those passes for close to 100 yards if they are going to win consistently.

All that being said, I see underclassmen everywhere. Hopefully as they mature W&L will once again be an ODAC threat. Glad you enjoyed the game and thanks for the thoughts.

tigerfanalso

odacsuperfan

This is not the week for HSC to be concerned with GC. Must prepare for BC, take care of business on Saturday, than prepare for/be concerned with GC. One week at the time in the odac. Overlook any opponent, the game result could be disappointing.

HSC was lucky to get out of Winchester alive; 4 fumbles in 1st quarter; score could have been 21 to 0 real quick. Defense did a good job giving up only 10 points. SU recovered three of those fumbles with really good field position. That game could have gone South real quick. Offense did a really good job once it stopped with all of the nonsense.

CUACARD59

Some thoughts on the CUA vs. E&H game:
First off E&H QB Kevin Saxton was flat out excellent. 20-23 for 287, 3 passing TDs 1 rushing and could have been more had he played the last few drives. One of the most efficient and well played games I've ever seen a QB play. That kid is going to give the ODAC headaches for the next few years. His backup Nick Bowen came in to finish the game and arguably played better! Bowen is an absolutely electric runner and after his play you have to figure E&H will find ways to get him the ball whether that's returning kicks or out of the backfield because that kid can run. As a former OLineman myself, I'm obviously going to give the E&H OLine  a lot of credit. If it were up to me they would have won the ODAC Offensive Player(s) of the week award. (The only time I can recall that happening previously was with W&L a few years ago. It should happen more often!) E&H had a record setting performance on offense and all that stems from a dominate performance from their front 5.

Now with all that being said I don't think I need to say anything about Catholic's defense because it was clearly another rough day for them.
Catholic had a few excellent drives on offense but their issue was consistency and is a bit of the product of the offense. When things were clicking they were easily moving the ball down the field on E&H. They did a better job taking care of the ball on as well but its those super quick 3 and outs that kill a team, especially with how the defense was playing. There was a blocked punt early in the game for a TD immediately followed by a fumbled kick return which E&H capitalized on for a score. The game went from 7-7 to 20-7 in the blink of an eye. I'm really hoping these crucial kinds of mistakes will start to disappear as the young players continue to get acclimated to college football because there are a few excellent young guys on this offense. Sophomore RB Matt Perno impressed the crap out of me again with another really good game. He runs and plays so hard its very fun to watch. Another sophomore, WR Lucas Morley is also continuing to impress and I thought played another excellent game. With young talented guys like that on the roster there are bright spots in this so far disappointing season for CUA. Lastly I thought CUA's OLine played well considering all of the injuries they've sustained this season. Both the starting C and RG have missed significant time but I think that group has still done a good job this year.

tigerfanalso

Jk

I believe your odac predictions were all correct and I missed two. Just thought RMC would win at homecoming and I went out on the limb picking your Generals. I'll wait later in the week to poise my usual question.

jknezek

Quote from: tigerfanalso on October 27, 2014, 03:08:48 PM
Jk

I believe your odac predictions were all correct and I missed two. Just thought RMC would win at homecoming and I went out on the limb picking your Generals. I'll wait later in the week to poise my usual question.

I've already got my picks in. So you can have my predictions:

Guilford takes Catholic at home. Guilford is good, Catholic isn't right now. Guilford by 20

E&H snaps their four game slide against W&L. After a glimmer of hope last week, W&L dropped back again. 2-13 passing and too many turnovers killed the Generals, who don't seem able to break long runs. Only way W&L wins this game is if E&H's first year coach doesn't get his team ready for the option. E&H by 14

H-SC hunts down the Eagles. Bridgewater is a tough place to play for some reason, but H-SC is playing like they mean business this year. While they had some early hiccups last week, they were good enough to overcome them. Mark of a good, experienced team. H-SC by 17.

R-MC at Shenandoah. The Hornets were game last week, they just didn't have enough. R-MC looks vulnerable this year. Traveling to Winchester won't help.  Shenandoah picks up their 3rd conference win by 10.

odacsuperfan

This years Catholic team is just not very good. I hope it turns around for them next year. With  W&L and RMC down too it makes for easier predictions without the chance of upsets.  E&H is much better with new coach , better players and gameplan. BW seems to always be good upfront but not enough skilled guys to make a difference. BW is always close to being dominant but cant get over the hump since early 2000's  glory years. GC is better this year and seems to be improving every year. GC puts up super stats but has trouble against the good teams.  Shenandoah is on an upswing as well and looks to be a force for years to come. With HSC being so dominant of E&H and starting so poorly at SH last week and still dominating them my only conclusion is that HSC is  potentially that much better than everyone this year. I thought HSC would have more issues with only one returning OL but they have figured it out somehow. What we can look forward too is that if HSC is that much better than everyone in 2014 lets see how they will respond in 2015 without the QB & WR combo plus several great Defensive players graduating. The Guilford vs E&H game could be a good one last game and possibly have implications if HSC stumps its toe against BW or GC.  FYI Guilford by 45 or more over Catholic this week. 

CUACARD59

Quote from: odacsuperfan on October 27, 2014, 06:48:14 PM
FYI Guilford by 45 or more over Catholic this week. 

I'll take that bet

hasanova

Quote from: CUACARD59 on October 27, 2014, 08:29:15 PM
Quote from: odacsuperfan on October 27, 2014, 06:48:14 PM
FYI Guilford by 45 or more over Catholic this week. 

I'll take that bet
I think Guilford will win, but 45 is a stretch.  It's Homecoming at GC this weekend and I know Coach Rusiewicz does not want a repeat of last year's letdown at CUA.