MBB: St. Louis Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by FC News, March 01, 2005, 11:03:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hopefan

Starting to think about Webster vs Greenville and the system...

Historical review

2017-18
at Webster         Greenville win 129-105
at Greenville       Greenville win 134-113

2016-17
at Webster          Webster win  133-120
at Greenville       Webster win  121-115

2015-2016
at Greenville       Webster win   134-115
at Webster          Webster win    108-106

Only Junior Enrique Tankins saw action against Greenville 2 years ago when Webster won both games... the rest of this years squad have not experienced being on the court and beating Greenville as a Gorlock...  As much as we like Josh Johnson and Aron Hopp as Webster's starting guards, they are turnover prone...even Erique Tankins is... each has assts to turnovers hovering around 1... scarey thought coming into this game

On the other hand... all five starters go to the basket hard... a must to beat the system....

The only thing not to be liked in Florida is no D3 hoops!!!

GU1999

Great thoughts about the Game of the Week.  I, too, looked back at last year and was quite surprised.  I did not recall that GU won both games by such healthy margins.  Regardless of last year's outcome, I fully expect tomorrow to be a battle to the very end.   There should be a good crowd and hopefully that will put GU over the top.  A propels GU heading into the final 10 games which could result in the very envious position of hosting the Conference tourney.  A loss and we are headed for a very dramatic last week of the season.   

Just for fun, how many practice squad players is Coach Bunch running against the top line in practice?  At least 6 or 7 v. 5?  Maybe with 7 you would be able to replicate some of the really odd angles from which the GU defenders attack. 

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: Gregory Sager on January 14, 2019, 02:51:57 PM
Quote from: GU1999 on January 14, 2019, 11:58:09 AM
Thank you Dave McHugh for having Dr. Barber on the show again.  A truly great individual who cares deeply for his players and institution and the fact that he is having success is icing on the cake. 

Ryan Scott is right -- George Barber is the best interview in D3 men's basketball. And I mean "best interview" in a good way, in that you're halfway to becoming a Greenville fan after hearing D-Mac interview him on Hoopsville.

Quote from: GU1999 on January 14, 2019, 11:58:09 AMThe information that coach cited about GU's basketball budget and budget $/player is very important and illuminates a league wide issue.

Yes, it is. I would've loved to have heard Dave prod George into getting more into the nuts and bolts of how Greenville recruits such a large roster (with legitimate talent on it) on such a paltry budget, given that he has eleven Californians (who are from all over what is an enormous state in terms of geography), kids from practically everywhere in the South, a couple Michiganders, etc., on his roster. I know that jucos play into his recruiting strategy, but recruiting out-of-state juco kids isn't something that is necessarily a cost-saving measure. Unfortunately, Dave was running long and he had to abbreviate that interview. I think that Dave ought to lead off with George the next time that he has him on Hoopsville so that he can give him all the time he needs.

He is one of my Top 5 interviews, period, in the show's history. Having him on is a joy for so many reasons. Hell, I'm a Greenville fan thanks to him. LOL

As you noted ... I would loved to have prodded him more, but the show was already running long and the segment was running long. As much as I love George, when you ask him a question ... you aren't going to ask another for at least five to ten minutes. :)

I tried to get into how he recruits. I got what I got, but I was watching the clock and realize I just didn't have any more I could afford to ask - we would have still be on the air an hour later. LOL I also wanted to ask about the weather and how it affects things and such - but couldn't get to it.

And no ... leading off the show means every single guest after George would be pushed by thirty minutes and we still wouldn't get off the air. George, I believe, got more air time than the rest though I have to check the clock on Bill Raleigh which was another terrific guest. Ryan's segment went long, but that's because at that point ... I had given up. LOL
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

ecreddevils

Quote from: Gregory Sager on January 14, 2019, 11:10:08 AM
"Took their foot off the gas" is putting it lightly. MacMurray outscored Eureka by a score of 54-28 in the second half.

Just one of those weird situations where one team comes out gangbusters, bench even oozing energy, makes everything, game over in the first few minutes.  Mac rightly looked shellshocked from the get go.  EC missed shots in the second half, but obviously doesn't matter when you're up 50ish at the half.  Coach Wilde had his troops ready. 

3-5 conference is outside looking in, obviously, BUT, very winnable game at IWU tomorrow night leading into the circus GU rematch at home on Saturday...just win, baby.  Get to 5-5 and anything can happen down the stretch. 

Greek Tragedy

Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

hopefan

Killer loss for Blackburn.... wondering why the diminished minutes for Karson Hayes?   Seemingly the team leader, he is no longer a starter in last 3 games, gets 19 minutes vs Webster, 2 vs Spalding, back up to 27 vs Prin but still not starting....

BC, Eureka now has to do that much more to reach the conference tourney.....

And Frosh "lil bro, big man" Clark Davidson.... a 5 star performance with 27 points, 17 boards in a 2 point win.... and I don't give out 5's easily!!!!!

hopefan

Not many would have predicted the Prin upset of BC... what's going on tonight?

Webster (6-1)  at Greenville (7-0)    I agree with GU... the homecourt is huge.... Greenville

Fontbonne (3-4) at Spalding (5-3)   This game is huge for playoff implications.... Must win for Fontbonne as Eureka and BC root for the Griffs... But Spalding seems to have their act together now, and it's a long mid-week trip... I root for Fontbonne too, to squeeze those standings, but Spalding wins this one

Eureka (3-5) at Iowa Wesleyan (2-5)   Eureka...ahhh the suffering they've put ECred through... I think the talent stays on top tonight... Eureka   (but be wary)

MacMurray (1-7) at Westmin (5-2)..... poor Mac...they're just not ready....

WUPHF

I absolutely love the optimism from the guy calling the Webster-Greenville game.

y_jack_lok

Didn't watch much, but happy to see Webster get the win at Greenville. Postponment of the Saturday's game with Principia probably helped Webster in preparing for tonight, especially after the 2 OT game at Blackburn last Wednesday. But how will tonight's game affect Webster against Fontbonne on Saturday?

hopefan

So what happened last night..

Yes Webster shows that the system is beatable... whether it was with long passes, or an intermediate pass to the middle, or Aron Hopp beating the first wave with the dribble... the real key was what I said in the pregame.. going to the basket.. and that's exactly what Rod Etienne and Nigel Wilcox did...scoring 65 between them... one thing that Greenville appeared not to act on, after seeing Etienne go 1 for 8 from the line in the first half, rarely coming close, I think I would have the third and 4 string in there fouling him every time... instead, he went to the line only once the whole 2nd half - and missed.  One of the fallacies of the system is you have to be shooting all those 3's at at least a half decent %, Greenville 28% was a little off their norm (though not as far as I thought it might be)...and there seemed to be a large number of missed shots from the paint (many out of control).... give Webster credit for playing great defense when there was time to set it up...a great win for Webster, it turns the conference championship race back into a 2 horse race, one that might not be decided until the final Saturday of the regular season...

Elsewhere things went as expected...
Spalding beats Fontbonne. the score closer than it should have been thanks to Spalding committing a Technical foul in the last two minutes giving Fontbonne a hint of opportunity...neither team can brag on this one, both teams shot poorly, committed a stupid number of turnovers....

Eureka beats Iowa Wesleyan, a game that was close far too long, not impressing anyone... Dakota Bennington has a huge game with 32 points, but the guy that has quietly impressed me all year, Jordan Dehm, has a super effort too, with 18 and 14...still, a tight win over IWU is no cause for optimism regarding the matchup on Saturday with GC.....

Westminster pretty much goes through the motions, everybody plays, everybody scores, beating MacMurray...Kobe Wands leads the way, 8 for 10 from the field, 22 points

So while we're not locked yet, all of a sudden our conference race is turning into a non race... Spalding in 4th, two up on BC, EC and Fontbonne.. not sure that with the inconsistent play shown by the pursuers, that Spalding will be caught...

hopefan

Quote from: y_jack_lok on January 17, 2019, 12:16:55 AM
Didn't watch much, but happy to see Webster get the win at Greenville. Postponment of the Saturday's game with Principia probably helped Webster in preparing for tonight, especially after the 2 OT game at Blackburn last Wednesday. But how will tonight's game affect Webster against Fontbonne on Saturday?

I really don't feel game activity with two or three days in between has any effect on 21 year old athletes.... they have time to recover... what does have more impact is long bus trips or in the case of the UAA, having to hang in airports, tough sleeping in strange hotel beds, a change in pregame eating habits, or a long night hitting the books the day before a game....just my opinion...

y_jack_lok

^^^ You're probably right. Knowing on Friday that there would be no game on Saturday did provide a little extra practice time to get ready for Greenville, which could have helped Webster.

hopefan

Let's turn forward now and look ahead to Saturday... and uhoh, another tough weather forecast... BE SAFE

Mac at Blackburn...  Mac had their game of the year in the first meeting, beating Blackburn easily.  Unless BC is totally calling it quits after falling two back of Spalding (they shouldn't)... BC will turn the tables and win, probably big.  An absolute must win for BC, at 4-5, may need to go 7-2 the rest of the way, maybe 6-3, in order to make the Conf tourney.

Greenville at Eureka... Greenville has the lengthy trip up to Eureka, would be cool if fans filled EC's gym and made for some atmosphere... it's been great in the past, maybe the best in the conference, but has become hushed as the Red Devils can't figure out how to win... this game will likely be the same... EC has the talent, the depth to win this game... but are they willing to play smart enough, hard enough to do it... I haven't seen it yet..  EC, here's a clue, look at the Webster - Greenville Box score.. Webster scores 130 points, and shoots 2... TWO 3 point shots the whole game... Pass the Ball down the court,,,GO TO THE BASKET.. get to the line more, get more hoops..   and play a little more defense.... EC has 4 athletic good sized starters, make it layup city!!!!    (Do you get the idea I'd love to see an upset... with absolutely nothing against Greenville!!!!)

Westminster at Iowa Wesleyan.... nope, it won't happen... but Jays, don't be looking ahead to the Monday game with Greenville

Prin at Spalding... Spalding beat Prin earlier when Spalding didn't know who should be on the court...they're in better shape now... should be easy....

Fontbonne at Webster... first meeting was a close OT win for Webster... but Fontbonne's Luke Deline went for 30 in that game... he hasn't played now in two weeks due to injury... this one should be Webster all the way....

Greek Tragedy

For the first time in 6 weeks, duty calls and work is schedule for this weekend. I think the weather may have prevented me from making the trip anyway, but now I have two excuses. I live in the Cheese state and the weather up here doesn't look promising tomorrow night into Saturday. I guess I'll have to annoy the wife and look at my phone every 2 minutes to check the livestats.
Pointers
Breed of a Champion

TGHIJGSTO!!!

Greek Tragedy

According to this website, Greenville at Eureka postponed.
Pointers
Breed of a Champion

TGHIJGSTO!!!