WBB: Michigan Intercollegiate Athletics Association

Started by MJA, February 24, 2005, 06:38:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dutchfan

Quote from: Dutchfan on October 25, 2019, 06:11:01 AM
Does anybody know what happened to Jenny Beckman? She isn't on Hope's roster.

Nevermind. I see her now. Don't know what happened. I looked twice this morning and didn't see her.

Dutchfan

Quote from: Dutchfan on October 25, 2019, 05:50:02 PM
Quote from: Dutchfan on October 25, 2019, 06:11:01 AM
Does anybody know what happened to Jenny Beckman? She isn't on Hope's roster.

Nevermind. I see her now. Don't know what happened. I looked twice this morning and didn't see her.

I hate my phone. Jenny Beckman really isn't on the roster. My phone was showing me last year's roster.

Flying Dutch Fan

Both Hope (at #6) and Trine (at #11) getting some love in the pre-season top 25:

https://www.d3hoops.com/top25/women/2019-20/preseason
2016, 2020, 2022 MIAA Pick 'Em Champion

"Sports are kind of like passion and that's temporary in many cases, but academics - that's like true love and that's enduring." 
John Wooden

"Blame FDF.  That's the default.  Always blame FDF."
goodknight

Roundball999

Hope at #9 in the WBCA coaches poll, but they have Trine all the way down at #30.  Both teams lost All Americans, I suspect folks are just a little more used to seeing Hope near the top of the rankings and therefore give them the benefit of the doubt at preseason.

Flying Dutch Fan

Quote from: Roundball999 on November 01, 2019, 12:36:45 PM
Hope at #9 in the WBCA coaches poll, but they have Trine all the way down at #30.  Both teams lost All Americans, I suspect folks are just a little more used to seeing Hope near the top of the rankings and therefore give them the benefit of the doubt at preseason.

That's really an apple to oranges comparison IMHO

Trine lost 4 seniors from last years team (William, Duff, Martin, and Dawson).  4 of their top 6 players who accounted for 56.6% of the points, 41.0% of the rebounds, 49.6% of the assists, and 46.4% of the minutes

Hope lost 1 senior (Buchanan).  She was their top player, but accounted for  19.2% of the points, 15.4% of the rebounds, 12.6% of the assists, and 11.4% of the minutes. 

If I'm being honest about it, Hope brings back so much of its 18-19 squad that I think their ranking in either poll makes sense.  The d3hoops poll has Trine too high in my opinion, maybe WBCA is more realistic, although losing that much, unranked might make sense.

Of course all of this is really just conjecture until we actually see some real games played.

"Sports are kind of like passion and that's temporary in many cases, but academics - that's like true love and that's enduring." 
John Wooden

goodknight

Roundball999

FDF, I completely agree with you.  I didn't make my point well, it was basically that voters will tend toward the status quo (e.g. like last year's rankings) unless they've done the kind of analysis that you have done that strongly suggests something different.  Not knocking the voters either, it would be a huge task to do that level of analysis for all the teams that could be potentially ranked.  As others have said it many times; I view the preseason polls as fun to discuss but not much more than that.

gordonmann

I'm with you guys.

Trine isn't on my preseason ballot and I didn't even think that long about it before putting them in the "nope" pile.

Mr. Ypsi

We in the CCIW have a similarly egregious situation in the men's preseason national poll of too many voters ignoring who is or is not coming back (despite Pat disseminating such information for all teams likely to receive any serious consideration; gordon do you do the same for the women?).  Not only did the national POY, Aston Francis, graduate, but Wheaton's second-best player is out for his career with a football injury, the probably third best potential returnee will likely miss at least 10 games because the fb team is so darned good, and some other important players graduated.  Wheaton ranked SIXTH in the preseason conference coaches' poll - despite ZERO votes for the 3rd, 4th, and 5th ranked teams, Wheaton received 45 points in the national poll! :o ::) 

gordonmann

Yes, we collect and distribute the same information.

Wheaton men strike me as a little more of an established program than Trine women, but Aston Francis was at another level than anyone I can remember in D3 men's basketball in a while.

TUAngola

Sophomore Gabby Timmer of Calvin named preseason honorable mention All American by D3hoops.com.  The only MIAA woman represented in the All American teams.

Coaches MIAA preseason poll should be coming out soon. 

My preseason predictions: 1) Hope  2) Calvin  3) Trine  4) Albion  5) Saint Marys  6) Alma  7) Adrian  8) Olivet  9) Kalamazoo

Lots of experience returning for most teams except for my Thunder who graduated 4 of their top 6 scorers, including All American Brandi Dawson.  I think Calvin will make the biggest leap in standings this year, even Albion could supplant Trine at 3.  I don't think Trine is going to fall completely off the map though.  Lots of young talent on the team, most got a lot of experience last year as we would usually go 12 deep most games.   

Anyone else want to weigh in on predictions?

TUAngola

Quote from: Flying Dutch Fan on November 01, 2019, 03:08:56 PM
Quote from: Roundball999 on November 01, 2019, 12:36:45 PM

That's really an apple to oranges comparison IMHO

Trine lost 4 seniors from last years team (William, Duff, Martin, and Dawson).  4 of their top 6 players who accounted for 56.6% of the points, 41.0% of the rebounds, 49.6% of the assists, and 46.4% of the minutes

Hope lost 1 senior (Buchanan).  She was their top player, but accounted for  19.2% of the points, 15.4% of the rebounds, 12.6% of the assists, and 11.4% of the minutes. 

If I'm being honest about it, Hope brings back so much of its 18-19 squad that I think their ranking in either poll makes sense.  The d3hoops poll has Trine too high in my opinion, maybe WBCA is more realistic, although losing that much, unranked might make sense.

Of course all of this is really just conjecture until we actually see some real games played.

Yes, I agree that Trine should not be ranked preseason.  Just too many unknowns about who our scorers will be this year after losing so much senior leadership from last year's team.  Trine should have been a Final Four team last year, they just got a lousy draw in the tournament.  Went toe to toe with Thomas More for 3 quarters before TM went on one of their runs to win the game.

As for Hope, I actually believe their ranking is a little low.  I think they will be scary good the next 2 years.  Their Junior class is just loaded with talent.  I don't believe they will lose a conference game this year.

Flying Dutch Fan

Quote from: TUAngola on November 05, 2019, 06:22:56 PM
Sophomore Gabby Timmer of Calvin named preseason honorable mention All American by D3hoops.com.  The only MIAA woman represented in the All American teams.

Coaches MIAA preseason poll should be coming out soon. 

My preseason predictions: 1) Hope  2) Calvin  3) Trine  4) Albion  5) Saint Marys  6) Alma  7) Adrian  8) Olivet  9) Kalamazoo

Lots of experience returning for most teams except for my Thunder who graduated 4 of their top 6 scorers, including All American Brandi Dawson.  I think Calvin will make the biggest leap in standings this year, even Albion could supplant Trine at 3.  I don't think Trine is going to fall completely off the map though.  Lots of young talent on the team, most got a lot of experience last year as we would usually go 12 deep most games.   

Anyone else want to weigh in on predictions?

I think your prediction is pretty spot on.  Anxious to see what the coaches think

John Wooden

goodknight

TUAngola

Women's BB MIAA preseason poll should be coming out tomorrow (Thursday) at 10am.

TUAngola

Preseason Poll is out for WBB:

https://www.miaa.org/sports/wbkb/2019-20/releases/PreseasonPoll

Not a lot of surprises.  I did think that the Thunder would slide down a little, 2nd is surprising to me.  And I thought Calvin would have been higher, but they are still pretty young, might be another year away. 

wiz

Congratulation coach Christner.  That's one!