MBB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by Board Mod, February 28, 2005, 11:18:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

markerickson

North Park posters have already provided the stats.  The costliest Viking turnover led to Millikin's last possession.  Lake got trapped in the back court 8' from me, the ref was a foot closer, and Kirby maybe 10' from me.  Kirby yelled twice for a time out while Lake, who was crouching to protect the ball, got fouled from behind and moved his pivot foot.  The ref called traveling.  After the call, Kirby asked the ref why he did not get the TO.  The ref waved his hands and said nothing.

Millikin started three guys over 6'5".  One, a 295 pounder by the name of Jordan Cunningham, got challenged by 145 pounder Colin Lake several times who floated teardrops for points.  Cunningham scored four points before he received a technical foul.  Coach Scherer then sat Cunningham the rest of the game.  After his fifth foul (while scoring three points), MU guard Beaty got a technical as did Lake.  All calls took place on the opposite side of the court from me.  I suspect all three were due to players challenging calls made by extremely sensitive refs.

Millikin started the game with a 6-0 run, but North Park led at halftime by nine.  North Park held the lead the entire second half.

Besides the free throw percentage, MU would have benefited if 6' 7" Henry had not missed an easy two-handed slam, which would have been his third dunk of the game.

Jordan Robinson greeted his former teammates before tipoff and watched the game.
Once a metalhead, always a metalhead.  Matthew 5:13.

Gregory Sager

Quote from: markerickson on January 04, 2018, 01:56:18 PMMillikin started three guys over 6'5".  One, a 295 pounder by the name of Jordan Cunningham, got challenged by 145 pounder Colin Lake several times who floated teardrops for points.  Cunningham scored four points before he received a technical foul.  Coach Scherer then sat Cunningham the rest of the game.  After his fifth foul (while scoring three points), MU guard Beaty got a technical as did Lake.  All calls took place on the opposite side of the court from me.  I suspect all three were due to players challenging calls made by extremely sensitive refs.

One ref, Terry Murphy, called all three technicals. Warning to CCIW players: Keep your yap shut in Terry Murphy's vicinity. He handed Colin Lake a T-bone early in the contest for taunting Levi Laws after Colin had hit a trey over Laws. The T against Cunningham came, as Mark suspected, after the MU big man had challenged a call. And the technical on Michael Beaty came after he had just been DQ'ed with his fifth foul, presumably giving him license in his own mind to tell the officials exactly what he thought of them. Little did he know, apparently, that you can still be T'ed up even after you have fouled out.

Quote from: markerickson on January 04, 2018, 01:56:18 PM
Besides the free throw percentage, MU would have benefited if 6' 7" Henry had not missed an easy two-handed slam, which would have been his third dunk of the game.

Yeah, I'd forgotten about that. With NPU up by only four at 64-60 and with a little over three minutes remaining, Beaty penetrated, drawing help defender Matt Szuba off of Henry, and then shoveled a perfect little pass underneath to Henry, who rose up from the right baseline to flush one down. Instead, he launched the ball sky-high off the rim; it should've been accompanied by a cartoon "Boiiiiiing!" sound. Never mind the fact that there's nothing more embarrassing than blowing a dunk in live action (unless it's looking at the PBP in the box score after your team has lost a one-point decision and seeing the words "MISS DUNK by" with your name next to it); the catapulted ball came down into the hands of NPU guard Josh Washburn out near mid-court, and, after Tom Slyder called a timeout to set up a play, Beaty fouled out on a Billy Kirby layup attempt thirteen seconds later and compounded his team's woes by receiving that technical, giving NPU a four-point play from the free-throw line. Combined with the missed dunk it was a six-point swing that took what should've been a 64-62 North Park lead out to a 68-60 North Park lead instead, giving the Vikings the breathing space that they'd need when they started faltering in the game's final two minutes.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

newCCIWfan

Quote from: Gregory Sager on January 04, 2018, 02:39:24 PM
Quote from: markerickson on January 04, 2018, 01:56:18 PMMillikin started three guys over 6'5".  One, a 295 pounder by the name of Jordan Cunningham, got challenged by 145 pounder Colin Lake several times who floated teardrops for points.  Cunningham scored four points before he received a technical foul.  Coach Scherer then sat Cunningham the rest of the game.  After his fifth foul (while scoring three points), MU guard Beaty got a technical as did Lake.  All calls took place on the opposite side of the court from me.  I suspect all three were due to players challenging calls made by extremely sensitive refs.

One ref, Terry Murphy, called all three technicals. Warning to CCIW players: Keep your yap shut in Terry Murphy's vicinity. He handed Colin Lake a T-bone early in the contest for taunting Levi Laws after Colin had hit a trey over Laws. The T against Cunningham came, as Mark suspected, after the MU big man had challenged a call. And the technical on Michael Beaty came after he had just been DQ'ed with his fifth foul, presumably giving him license in his own mind to tell the officials exactly what he thought of them. Little did he know, apparently, that you can still be T'ed up even after you have fouled out.

Quote from: markerickson on January 04, 2018, 01:56:18 PM

Yeah, I'd forgotten about that. With NPU up by only four at 64-60 and with a little over three minutes remaining, Beaty penetrated, drawing help defender Matt Szuba off of Henry, and then shoveled a perfect little pass underneath to Henry, who rose up from the right baseline to flush one down. Instead, he launched the ball sky-high off the rim; it should've been accompanied by a cartoon "Boiiiiiing!" sound. Never mind the fact that there's nothing more embarrassing than blowing a dunk in live action (unless it's looking at the PBP in the box score after your team has lost a one-point decision and seeing the words "MISS DUNK by" with your name next to it); the catapulted ball came down into the hands of NPU guard Josh Washburn out near mid-court, and, after Tom Slyder called a timeout to set up a play, Beaty fouled out on a Billy Kirby layup attempt thirteen seconds later and compounded his team's woes by receiving that technical, giving NPU a four-point play from the free-throw line. Combined with the missed dunk it was a six-point swing that took what should've been a 64-62 North Park lead out to a 68-60 North Park lead instead, giving the Vikings the breathing space that they'd need when they started faltering in the game's final two minutes.

Having been on the receiving end of one of those in the past ... I can attest that Terry Murphy is quite liberal in his distribution of the technical foul.

Gregory Sager

Now that I think about it, Dan Kusinski might've been the ref who T'ed up Colin Lake early in the game. But the two technicals in the second half against Millikin were definitely Terry Murphy's doing.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

WUPHF

Quote from: Gregory Sager on January 04, 2018, 02:39:24 PM
Instead, he launched the ball sky-high off the rim; it should've been accompanied by a cartoon "Boiiiiiing!" sound.

In the future when the officials are replaced by computers and AI, I hope that the athletics directors are able to program Google Referee to add sound effects.

AndOne

IDK what most of you think of the general level of officiating in the CCIW this season but, IMHO, what I have seen so far this season would merit a grade in the D+ to C- range. I know basketball is a tough sport to officiate. With all the bumping and grinding that occurs in what has traditionally been a very physical conference, the refs could likely foul out 7 or 8 of the 10 starters in just about every game. This is especially believable when you consider all the obvious infractions, and then add in the the inconsequential contact that occurs, especially on the perimeter, on just about every possession. While these slight bumps and brushes might not be much of an impediment to either the advancement of the basketball or the overall flow of the possession, they're technically infractions of the rules, and can be whistled as such.
Part of the problem is that, in the same game, one or two members of the officiating crew might be calling these type of contacts and the other one or two might be letting them go. This problem is frequently compounded when any one ref, for whatever reason, changes the way he calls the game at some point or points throughout the contest. One time down the floor you can belt a guy with no call ensuing, and the next time down you're hit with a foul for breathing on the guy too hard. A little consistency among the crew would be a welcome change. Consistency from each individual ref should be a minimum requirement.
Another amazing phenomenon is some refs ability to see for miles, sometimes through tall buildings, while his partner can't see two feet in front of him. Think of all this he plays you see under the basket where the baseline ref, standing two feet away from the play, doesn't see a thing. However, the trailing ref, from not many feet over mid court, makes a call on the play. Sure, sometimes the ref closest to the play is going to have his vision blocked, but the distance away from the play by the guy that makes a call often gives the impression that from the standpoint of visual acuity, he has Superman like capabilities. A couple of games ago my mom was closer to the play than the ref who made the call — and my mom is in Heaven!
However, the most grievous blunder is when a ref either believes he's the show or assumes he's the dictatorial ruler of the realm who believes guestioning of any of his decisions is grounds for banishment. Last night, such an occurance took place in the Carthage-NCC game. All three refs last night are named Tom so I'm not sure which one was the court jester to whom I'm referring. I do know he was the shortest one. This particular ref seemed to become incensed when NCC Coach Raridon asked what one of his players, who short Tom had just called an infraction on, had done. In truth, the same question could have been asked about both several previous calls and non-calls by the same individual. The ref angrily replied "I don't have to tell you what he did." When the coach opined that if the ref called a foul he should at least have a reason in mind as to exactly what indiscretion he observed, he ref seem to become incensed. He charged over to the bench area and basically told Raridon that he could call the game anyway he wanted and didn't have to explain anything. One fan behind me yelled at the ref "Why are you so angry over a simple question"? Another directed a "Nobody here came to see you perform" comment his way. Both of the fan's comments seemed truthfully appropriate to the situation. All during the exchange the ref kept pointing down to the mark on the floor that indicates the end of the coaches box and saying "get back in there," to which the coach, who was inside the box during the entire exchange, kept pointing down to the floor and replied "I'm right here." The ref had evidently made the decision that he was going to be the focus of the spotlight for awhile rather than the game itself. Additionally, it was pretty obvious that most of the ref's comments were solely attempts to induce Raridon into saying something for which he could be T'ed up, but the coach never took the bait. For the remainder of the game Short Tom spent more time looking at Raridon to see if he was outside of the coaches box than he did watching the game action which he was being paid to do. He was so intent on trying to catch the coach outside of the box that he missed a rather jarring collision on an attempted steal just a few feet behind him. It really was a example of officiating incompetency at it's finest.
While last night's actions were an extreme example, it just seems like the overall performance by the refs is not currently at the level you would expect in one of the country's premier conferences.
Just expressing what I've observed and the feelings that emanate from those observations.
I understand others might have different experiences. I actually hope they have.

Gregory Sager

Three things that we can count upon every winter: At least one ferocious cold snap in Chicagoland; light-hearted stories on the TV evening news about polar-bear swims for charity; and Mark issuing a blanket indictment of the CCIW referee corps. :D

AndOne

North Central 77
Carthage       67

NCC

Alex Sorenson- 28 points (13/21), 7 rebounds, 4 assists

Erwin Henry - 19 points (8/14 incl 2/4), 6 rebounds, 2 assists, 2 steals

Matt Cappelletti - 13 points (5/8 incl 2/4), 6 rebounds, 2 steals

Connor Raridon - 6:1 A/TO, 1 golf ball sized bruise above the right eye. 🥩
                                                                                                         👀

Carthage

Jordan Thomas - 18 points (6/24; incl 1/2, + 5/5). Jordan is a wiz at weaving through the defense and converting a layup between two or even three defenders.

Brad Kruse - 14 points (4/6, incl 1/2 + 5/5)

Brad Perry - 11 points (5/6), 4 rebounds

This game was not as close as the final score would seem to indicate. Carthage never led in the entire game. NCC opened an 18 point lead late in the first half, and by 13 at the break. Carthage closed to within 6 and 5 in the second stanza, but NCC very quickly pushed their advantage back to double digits both times. On NCC's last possession of the game, they purposely took a shot clock violation. Then they let CC pass ahead to the deep corner for an uncontested three as time expired.
The Cardinals shot 51.6% to Carthage's 41.8%, and out rebounded the Cheeseheads 38-27.

My #1 star of the game was Erwin Henry who, in addition to a nice game on the offensive end, turned in some stellar defense.

AndOne

Quote from: Gregory Sager on January 04, 2018, 05:34:00 PM
Three things that we can count upon every winter: At least one ferocious cold snap in Chicagoland; light-hearted stories on the TV evening news about polar-bear swims for charity; and Mark issuing a blanket indictment of the CCIW referee corps. :D

The truth lies where you find it! 🕵️‍♂️ 🤔 😏

markerickson

WUH mentioned sound effects.  North Park played a very quick Pacman audio clip after every home team bucket last night.   Very annoying.
Once a metalhead, always a metalhead.  Matthew 5:13.

WUPHF

I take back what I said...except on missed dunks.  I am still laughing about the boiiing reference.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: markerickson on January 04, 2018, 08:04:02 PM
WUH mentioned sound effects.  North Park played a very quick Pacman audio clip after every home team bucket last night.   Very annoying.

So... I need to check the rule book, but I do NOT believe that is actually allowed. Others can help me on whether I am right or wrong, but I was pretty sure you couldn't do that in NCAA games.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Gregory Sager

I don't think it's allowed, either. I didn't realize that it was coming out of the P.A. until Mark posted that. I thought that it was an annoying new feature coming out of the laptop that I was using for live stats.

EDIT: It appears to be covered under Rule 10-2.8, found on page 95 of the NCAA Men's Basketball 2017-18 Rules.

kiko

Using our tried-and-true formula, here's where we are through four days of league competition.  When I tallied this, I honestly expected a little less clustering so tightly to zero, but I guess the fact that everyone has taken at least one loss this early helps to keep things mostly on even keel to this point.  The Titans' win at home last night kept Augie from looking a tad like Secretariat, at least at this point in the season.

Road win = +1
Home win or road loss = zero
Home loss = -1

Illinois Wesleyan +1
Augustana +1
Carroll 0
Carthage 0
Elmhurst 0
North Central 0
Wheaton 0
Millikin -1
North Park -1

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: Gregory Sager on January 04, 2018, 11:46:41 PM
I don't think it's allowed, either. I didn't realize that it was coming out of the P.A. until Mark posted that. I thought that it was an annoying new feature coming out of the laptop that I was using for live stats.

EDIT: It appears to be covered under Rule 10-2.8, found on page 95 of the NCAA Men's Basketball 2017-18 Rules.

So... it isn't allowed as how I read it:

"Team followers (fans, bands, cheerleaders and mascots associated with either team) shall not commit an unsportsmanlike act, including, but not limited to, the following:
a.   Using musical instruments, amplified music or artificial noisemakers while the game is in progress, except timeouts and intermissions;

Am I reading that the same way as others?
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.