BB: CCIW: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by RedmenFB44, January 05, 2006, 12:14:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

REDMENFAN

I agree that D-1's should play smaller in state schools for non conference games. It would be fun to watch Carthage play UW-Milwaukee or even D-2 Parkside which is about 2 miles away from Carthage. I think its great that ISU is willing to play Wesleyan every year, too bad more bigger schools won't do the same

formerd3db

REDMENFAN:
I agree with you.  Some of us had a similar discussion on the MIAA baseball site.  Obviously, there are some pros/cons for that with regards to the DI schools, but overall, I think can be a good experience all the way around (it actually has been in the past when it has occurred).
"When the Great Scorer comes To mark against your name, He'll write not 'won' or 'lost', But how you played the game." - Grantland Rice

REDMENFAN

I realize that if the D 1 team loses it looks bad for their program, but any baseball fan would know neither team probably threw one of their top pitchers, and that in baseball more than any other sport in my opinion, anyone can beat anyone on a given day. For a D-3 school, its an opportunity to say you beat a big school, and also chances are you will be playing against some guys you know and maybe even played summer traveling baseball with that got a scholarship to a big school.

BigPoppa

Quote from: REDMENFAN on March 10, 2006, 12:29:10 PM
I agree that D-1's should play smaller in state schools for non conference games. It would be fun to watch Carthage play UW-Milwaukee or even D-2 Parkside which is about 2 miles away from Carthage. I think its great that ISU is willing to play Wesleyan every year, too bad more bigger schools won't do the same

Carthage and Parkside used to play every year... I am not sure if they still do, but it was a fun setting. Parkside was never too strong when I played and we always pounded them even though they were D2 Scholarship players.  I see tha PArkside is a very strong D2 right now, maybe that has something to do with it... most top ranked D1s and D2s will not play small school for the fear of slipping in the rankings and RPIs.
Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

REDMENFAN

Another problem is that Parkside plays in a wood bat conference, so how would you decide on wood or aluminum? If you ask me, I think the simple solution would be to let the home team decide. I know big time schools want to avoid dropping in the rankings, but a school like UWM doesn't have to fear that along with a lot of other D-1 schools who refuse to play a solid D-3 program. There is not a doubt in my mind Wesleyan or Carthage could compete in UWM's conference (some other schools are bradley, butler, uic) I'm not saying they would win it, but I think they could compete and make some noise. Some of those schools are solid, but not that much better, or not better at all than some top notch D-3 schools. Now could Carthage compete in the SEC, that's completely different. My buddy Scott Roehl pitched at Arkansas for 3 years and I went and watched him play 5 times, those players and teams are just simply at an entire different level of baseball.

bataviapete

I'm sure that games against anything other that D1's do not count in the D1 rpi.  However it would count against the total number of games your allowed to play.  IWU usually gives ISU a game and has won a few times but ISU is much improved and is starting to get some of the top players from Illinois.  At first I though REDMENFAN was a little off by saying that Carthage could compete in the Horizon League but maybe he's right.  Checking out roster bios shows players from both teams were all area/all state etc. 

BigPoppa

Quote from: bataviapete on March 10, 2006, 03:42:28 PM
I'm sure that games against anything other that D1's do not count in the D1 rpi.  However it would count against the total number of games your allowed to play.  IWU usually gives ISU a game and has won a few times but ISU is much improved and is starting to get some of the top players from Illinois.  At first I though REDMENFAN was a little off by saying that Carthage could compete in the Horizon League but maybe he's right.  Checking out roster bios shows players from both teams were all area/all state etc. 

Petey... D1s will actually gain more RPI points by getting embarassed by another D1 than by pounding a D2/D3/NAIA school... it is a flawed system that does not account for cold weather-teams having shortened seasons and forcing them to play small school in order to make up a rained out games in some instances.

When I coached at an NAIA, D1s told me that they would never play us unless absolutely necessary (They would play us if they were already certain that they would get into the NCAAs, but if a school was from a smaller D1 conference and needed the RPI to get them into the NCAAs... forget about it).

bataviapete

BigPoppa- I stand correct.  I checked one of the rpi sites and and it says "records" only include d1 games. 

What happened to the Augie quote for your sig?  The turd one is a classic.

BigPoppa

Quote from: bataviapete on March 10, 2006, 04:27:48 PM
BigPoppa- I stand correct.  I checked one of the rpi sites and and it says "records" only include d1 games. 

What happened to the Augie quote for your sig?  The turd one is a classic.

Sorry... they must have recently changed it.... as of a few years ago, RPI included other divisions as well.

I rotate my signature sayings on the bottom... it gives me a reason to get out of bed in the morning.

irish21

Redmen off to a good start! 6-1 victory over King's College. Evosevich gets the win!!

Game 2 at 10:30
Iron Will

irish21

Sweep of King's College for the Redmen! Nice start to the 2006 season! I believe the hotline said Jon Olson picked up the 11-2 or 11-1 victory. Bad reception for the hotline update.
Iron Will

augie_superfan

IWU lost 9-7 to Manchester this afternoon @ Rose-Hulman.

IWU gave up 5 unearned runs.  Robert Inzinga took the loss.  Nick Chilzenkowski led IWU in hitting by going 5 for 5 with 3 RBIs. 

REDMENFAN

Very good sign for the Redmen with Olson and Evosovich both throwing very well. Evosovich gave up only one run in the complete game and Olson didn't give up a hit until the 5th when he gave up 2 unearned runs. He only surrendered 3 hits the entire game. New Centerfielder Boe Battinger hit the ball well, Tyler Yapp hit a homerun, steve coughlin from uw oshkosh hit clean up and hit well, as did Tyler Creekmore. It should be fun Wednesday when Coughlin plays against his former team and is hitting in the clean up spot when Oshkosh wouldn't even let him swing a bat and switched him to pitcher. Finally, the injured redmen is Chris Sadjak (Yapp is filling in for him), who most likely would've been hitting in the clean up slot. The paper today had a huge write up on Carthage and said he will be back late march/early April. Sadjak hit very well last year and will be counted on tremendously to be a big run producer when he returns to the lineup.

BigPoppa

Great job Redmen... way to jump out of the gate and get rolling.

BigPoppa

Quote from: BigPoppa on March 09, 2006, 12:20:04 PM
As of the mornig of March 9th:

The CCIW teams are struggling down south... they have a record of 12-11-1. Respectable, but not a good sign.
Sunday Morning:
The CCIW teams are currently 15-12-1(non-conf.) on their spring trips... we should have a ton of games played this week and have a much better idea of how the conference stacks up nationally. Right now, the CCIW is looking average, at best. We need Carthage, Augie and IWU to get hot and hope for a second NCAA bid from the CCIW.