BB: CCIW: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by RedmenFB44, January 05, 2006, 12:14:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigPoppa

I did a bit of work this afternoon and found some interesting differences in the conferences. When looking at winning percentages in the 2006 season by conference:

CCIW: 34-26-1 (.566) 6 teams at or over .500
IIAC: 52-40 (.565) 7 teams at or over .500
NIIC: 20-35-1 (.366) 2 teams at or over .500
SLIAC: 27-61 (.306) 2 teams at or over .500

I am pretty sure this means absolutely nothing, but it is easy to see that the CCIW and IIAC are a few steps ahead of the other two conferences... my apologies to Aurora for being in the NIIC as they are usually a very strong national candidate.

I know it is very early and things can change in a few days, but it usually a good clue as to how the season will progress.

Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

Sweetness

Elmhurst Blue Jays (3-3-1) lost today 6-2 against Rhodes College (17-3), it was a very cold baseball game, and it started to snow right after the game.  I don't think IWU will be able to play tomorrow.

CoachKs

IIAC- Honestly who do they play????

augie_superfan

BigPoppa

Quote from: CoachKs on March 22, 2006, 01:10:21 PM
IIAC- Honestly who do they play????

The IIAC schools actually have comparable schedules to most of the CCIW teams when they head south. Many played in the same areas against the same teams.

mwunder

Quote from: REDMENFAN on March 18, 2006, 12:24:20 PM
One encouraging thing for the Redmen is in games when their 1-3 starters pitched, they were 4-0. Evosovich was 2-0, Olson 1-0 with a no decision, and Husing 1-0.

To be technical, the team was actually 4-1 in those games.  Olson started the second Oshkosh game and even though he finished with a 'no decision', the team eventually lost that game.

Carthage can't continue to score 4.9 runs a game (take out the 2 double digit games and the average is just over 3) , play sloppy defense and expect to compete in the CCIW, even with their top 3 guys on the mound.  That's not the recipe for success.  Don't get me wrong, good pitching will keep you in a most of games, but if they don't find a way to deliver key hits, it'll be a struggle all season long.  I think Augie would take a bunch of wins in 1 run games, but it will drive him nuts to watch 3-2, 2-1 pitching duels all season.

REDMENFAN

It drove him nuts winning games 5-3 last year!! Augie is a hitting guy, everyone knows that. I would bet he would much rather win 13-8 than 2-1. I have to disagree with you though... if the redmen average 4.9 runs a game in conference, I think they would still finish top 1 or 2 in the conference because of those top 3 pitchers. However, I agree that they do need to get some more timely and clutch hitting, it would make things a lot easier for them. I would think by conference time after 12 games and another two weeks of practice, along with Chris Sadjak returning to the line-up,Carthage's hitting will improve. Remember, Carthage went 17-4 in conference last year and they didn't score as many runs as a typical Augie Schmidt team would

BigPoppa

I have a feeling that he would rather win games 3-2 than to lose them 13-8!! We Carthage backers are all a bit too jumpy when Carthage does not come out pounding teams into submission... myslef included. They are still in a good position to make a run at the CCIW title and we all know that these games really don't matter once the CCIW starts.

Speaking of the CCIW... congrats to North Park for getting themselves on track this season. It was painful to watch them go 4-76 the past two seasons. New Head Coach, Luke Johnson, appears to have them headed in the right direction as they are listed at 4-5 after their spring trip to AZ.

Gregory Sager

Quote from: BigPoppa on March 22, 2006, 04:08:13 PMSpeaking of the CCIW... congrats to North Park for getting themselves on track this season. It was painful to watch them go 4-76 the past two seasons. New Head Coach, Luke Johnson, appears to have them headed in the right direction as they are listed at 4-5 after their spring trip to AZ.

As Mr. B posted here on Sunday, the Vikings returned from Arizona with a 4-6 record. The rained-out game against Keene State was made up and resulted in an 8-7 loss in extra innings for the Vikings, even though it's still not listed on either the NPU or CCIW websites as having been made up. Nevertheless, you're right that the Park is definitely on the upswing.

And congratulations to NPU junior Bob Mensch upon being named the CCIW Pitcher of the Week. He has yet to give up an earned run in four appearances this season.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

TitanRailer

IWU won again yesterday, improving to 7-1, with a 10-6 win over previously 17-3 Rhodes College.  IWU left 13 runners on base so could have scored many more.  Four pictures were on the mound, so a typical non-conference slugfust with many hurlers.

Thus far, IWU is 3-0 on their Southern trip with 2 wins over 14-4 Millsaps and yesterdays win over Rhodes.  Amazing start to the season for the Titans.

Today they face Division II Christian Brothers, 13-9.

BigPoppa

It looks like IWU may be the real deal this season.

REDMENFAN

Looks like Wesleyan isn't having a problem replacing Lapinski and their 3rd baseman from last year as far as hitting is concerned. That's big for them because I doubt their pitching is as tough as it was last year. With Lapinski on the mound, those guys knew if they scored 3 or more runs, chances are they would win no problem, and I don't think they have anyone like that this year.  If i had to guess right now, I would say its a 3 team race with IWU, Augie, and Carthage, with Elmhurst not far behind.

TitanRailer

IWU is up 3-0 on Christian Brothers after 3.5 innings.  Dave Dobosz, a 6-4 lefty, is on the hill.  He will be the 3 or 4 starter this year, so will get some conference work on Sundays.

Although IWU lost their top two pitchers from last year, they still have a very experienced staff, with 7 seniors.  I believe 4 of the 7 are lefties.  Should be very deep.  No one as dominant as the top 2 last year, but better in the bullpen.

In addition, averaging over 8 runs a game, so consistency is what is needed on the mound, which seems to be what they are getting.

BigPoppa

Sounds like the CCIW is going to be one heck of a struggle for teams this year. I am looking forward to the start of conference games. After the first few games have been played, what is everyone's outlook for the conference.

Right now it looks to me like this:

IWU
Carthage
Augie
Elmhurst

TitanRailer

IWU now up 8-3 after 7.  Offense continues to score over 8 runs a game. 

Can't argue with IWU, Carthage, and Augie.  Would love to see North Park slip into fourth place and make the tourney.