BB: CCIW: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by RedmenFB44, January 05, 2006, 12:14:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gregory Sager

Quote from: emeritusprof on April 06, 2006, 07:49:16 PMI refuse to use smiley faces, even if it may give rise to confusion.  Let the words speak.

::)

NPU had nowhere to go but up this year, but I think that the Vikings have surprised everyone with just how competitive they've been thus far. Nevertheless, they're carved out a 5-3 record against the three teams at the bottom of the conference. They're definitely going to have to step it up a notch against the traditional powers if they want to be something more than an early-spring curiosity in the CCIW race.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

TitanRailer

I am not sure what is better, an IWU sweep this weekend or the Cubs sweep over the Cardinals.  Yes I do, Go Cubs!!

Not really looking forward to the Carthage series right now.  IWU can't win a 2-1 game right now, and Carthage pitching is too good for an 8-5 game that IWU can win. 

I still like my pre-season picks of Carthage, Augie, IWU and NP in the conference tourney.  Unfortunately, I agree with Greg, NP still has the upper tier of the conference to play.  Will be a tough road for them.  Unfortunately, IWU has only played Wheaton, NCC, and Millikin.  Tough road ahead for the Titans as well.

BigPoppa

Quote from: Gregory Sager on April 10, 2006, 03:57:08 AM

NPU had nowhere to go but up this year, but I think that the Vikings have surprised everyone with just how competitive they've been thus far. Nevertheless, they're carved out a 5-3 record against the three teams at the bottom of the conference. They're definitely going to have to step it up a notch against the traditional powers if they want to be something more than an early-spring curiosity in the CCIW race.

One advantage is it has given confidence to a young struggling team. Early season wins are worth a little bit more in my opinion. NPU is hanging tough and even though the schedule will get tougher, they have proved that they are vastly improved and able to make some noise in the CCIW.
Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

REDMENFAN

Knowing North Park still has to play IWU (who I think is still a very dangerous team), Augie, and Carthage, what are some honest opinions about whether or not you think they will make the conference tournament. I think it will end up being between them and Elmhurst. Personally, I hope the Vikings find a way. Now that the conference tourney gives an automatic bid to the postseason (i'm still pretty sure that's what they've gone to), as long as you finish in the top 4 you have a good as chance as anyone to get hot over one weekend and make the playoffs.

BigPoppa

NPU is in a tough spot as they still have the three big dogs to play, but the Vikings are showing that they can compete this year. Funny things happen between the lines. I also think it will come down to NPU and Elmhurst for the final spot in the CCIW tourney.

Captain Morgan

Here is how I see the CCIW:

1. Carthage- great pitching, always fighting for titles

2. IWU- starting to come around

3. Augustana- could flip-flop with #2

4. Elmhurst- Coming around, players know they will have new coach next year

5. NPU- can steal wins here and there to make a run at the #4 spot, scrappy team

6. North Central- terrible, but tradition will push them into 6th

7. Millikin- will fall off as season wears on

8. Wheaton- soccer school

BigPoppa

Captain... I like your assessment. A bit harsh on some schools, but it is your opinion.  I hope that NPU can get back to their form of the early 90s when their catcher, Danny Casas, was one of the most feared hitters in the CCIW... and he took all day to get into the box. It drove me nuts.

irish21

Quote from: REDMENFAN on April 11, 2006, 10:02:09 AM
Knowing North Park still has to play IWU (who I think is still a very dangerous team), Augie, and Carthage, what are some honest opinions about whether or not you think they will make the conference tournament. I think it will end up being between them and Elmhurst. Personally, I hope the Vikings find a way. Now that the conference tourney gives an automatic bid to the postseason (i'm still pretty sure that's what they've gone to), as long as you finish in the top 4 you have a good as chance as anyone to get hot over one weekend and make the playoffs.
The top-four teams, by CCIW winning percentage, qualify for the CCIW Baseball Tournament.  The four qualifying teams accrue one championship point for each regular-season CCIW victory and additional championship points based on the following tournament records:  3-0 record (5 points), 4-1 or 3-1 record (4 points), 3-2 record (3 points), 2-2 record (2 points), 1-2 record (1 point) and an 0-2 record (0 points).  Teams that do not qualify for the tournament do not receive championship points for regular-season conference wins.  If a tie occurs in total points after the tournament, then the team that finished highest in the tournament will be the conference champion.   If only the first day of the tournament is played, due to weather, then each tournament win is worth one point, and the sole 2-0 team shall be awarded a bonus point.  The CCIW champion receives the league's automatic qualifier to the NCAA Division III Baseball Championship.

In the past, wasn't it the regular season champ that got the automatic berth? I know "we" went three of the four years that my favorite Redman played. But we were the regular season champs and won the tournament.

So what I'm reading from this, it's now the tournament champ and not the regular season champ?

Iron Will

BigPoppa

Quote from: irish21 on April 11, 2006, 08:52:23 PM
Quote from: REDMENFAN on April 11, 2006, 10:02:09 AM
The top-four teams, by CCIW winning percentage, qualify for the CCIW Baseball Tournament.  The four qualifying teams accrue one championship point for each regular-season CCIW victory and additional championship points based on the following tournament records:  3-0 record (5 points), 4-1 or 3-1 record (4 points), 3-2 record (3 points), 2-2 record (2 points), 1-2 record (1 point) and an 0-2 record (0 points).  Teams that do not qualify for the tournament do not receive championship points for regular-season conference wins.  If a tie occurs in total points after the tournament, then the team that finished highest in the tournament will be the conference champion.   If only the first day of the tournament is played, due to weather, then each tournament win is worth one point, and the sole 2-0 team shall be awarded a bonus point.  The CCIW champion receives the league's automatic qualifier to the NCAA Division III Baseball Championship.

In the past, wasn't it the regular season champ that got the automatic berth? I know "we" went three of the four years that my favorite Redman played. But we were the regular season champs and won the tournament.

So what I'm reading from this, it's now the tournament champ and not the regular season champ?

Irish... you are correct. New format rewards only the winner of the CCIW tourney. Winner gets in and the losers sit by the phone waiting for a call to let them know if they got a bid or not. There are 11 more bids(53 total) this year so a strong showing in your regular season will have a large bearing on your selection to the dance.

BigPoppa

They actually have it listed two different ways on the Carthage page... look at the press releases and CCIW tourney info for the updated version of the format. The one previously quoted is still listed, but replaced by the updated one below:

CCIW Championship Format Changed for 2006:  Beginning in 2006, the CCIW's regular-season champion wins the conference title and has the option of playing host to the CCIW Baseball Tournament on either its home field or at another location.  The top-four teams, by CCIW winning percentage, qualify for the CCIW Baseball Tournament.  The winner of the double-elimination tournament will receive the league's automatic qualifier to the NCAA Division III Baseball Championship.

REDMENFAN

Should be an interesting game in Kenosha today between Carthage and Elmhurst. It is extremely windy, and any ball hit in the air will be an adventure.

BigPoppa

Quote from: REDMENFAN on April 12, 2006, 11:50:22 AM
Should be an interesting game in Kenosha today between Carthage and Elmhurst. It is extremely windy, and any ball hit in the air will be an adventure.

A perfect day for Carthage baseball! I always felt bad for visiting outfielders at Carthage. The winds in left were very different from the winds in right... aka The Jet Stream.

TitanRailer

IWU beat Concordia yesterday 9-6.  Typical non-conference midweek game.  Four IWU pitchers used, the starter was pulled so he could attend a night class.  That is DIII baseball for you. 

Very windy day here as IWU hosts Millikin this afternoon. 

BigPoppa

Quote from: TitanRailer on April 12, 2006, 02:13:55 PM
IWU beat Concordia yesterday 9-6.  Typical non-conference midweek game.  Four IWU pitchers used, the starter was pulled so he could attend a night class.  That is DIII baseball for you. 

Very windy day here as IWU hosts Millikin this afternoon. 

That's why I love D3 Baseball... it is the only level where "student-athlete" really means anything.

irish21

Carthage 15 Elmhurst 5. Called in 7th for 10 run rule.

I believe Livek was the winner.
Iron Will