BB: CCIW: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by RedmenFB44, January 05, 2006, 12:14:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

REDMENFAN

Carthage beat IWU today 6-4. Olson threw all 9 innings for the win. The ump was terrible calling balls and strikes for both teams and was very inconsistent. Martel got tossed in the top of the 9th to all the Carthage fans' delight! Big win for Carthage today to build a 3 game lead over IWU

augie_superfan

Augustana beat North Park 8-3 today.  That was a huge 3 game sweep of North Park.

Millikin beat Elmhurst 9-7 today

BigPoppa

Quote from: augie_superfan on April 15, 2006, 05:31:30 PM
Augustana beat North Park 8-3 today.  That was a huge 3 game sweep of North Park.

Millikin beat Elmhurst 9-7 today

Elmhurst is in trouble! Anybody have the updated standings?
Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

Mr. Ypsi

Per the CCIW website, as of 4-15:
Carthage 10-2
Augie   8-4
IWU    7-5
Millikin  6-6
Wheaton 6-6
North Park 6-6
North Central 3-9
Elmhurst   2-10

Looks like 6 teams still very alive for the four tourney spots, with Carthage definitely in the driver's seat.

BigPoppa

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on April 17, 2006, 12:09:25 AM
Per the CCIW website, as of 4-15:
Carthage 10-2
Augie   8-4
IWU    7-5
Millikin  6-6
Wheaton 6-6
North Park 6-6
North Central 3-9
Elmhurst   2-10

Looks like 6 teams still very alive for the four tourney spots, with Carthage definitely in the driver's seat.

With the way Carthage is playing, I would think that they would be a favorite for a Pool C bid if things do not go smoothly in the conference tourney. Let's hope it does not come to that and they win the CCIW tourney and the bid outright.

Captain Morgan

Quote from: Baseball Fan on March 27, 2006, 01:51:08 AM
The Blue Jays have a strong offense, they have reserves that can come off the bench and get the job done.  They also have a great pitching staff that could be the best in the CCIW, and amazing coaching staff.  I know with coach Jones in the driver seat, he will take his ball club deep into the post season this year. :)

My how things have changed in only a few weeks.

I doubt that a 2-10 CCIW record is putting Elmhurst in a position to even make the post-season, let alone make a deep run into it.
Has anyone heard about rumblings at Elmhurst?

Gregory Sager

This past weekend's series in Rock Island proves that, to no one's surprise, NPU still has a way to go on the diamond to get up there among the CCIW's elite. But while I'm disappointed in the performance of the Park, I'm not terribly worried by it. Rome wasn't built in a day. The Vikings have already won more CCIW games this year than they have in the past three years combined, and there's still a lot of season left. I just want to see the NPU baseball program keep improving. With only two seniors on the team, the future looks bright. I'm convinced now that Luke Johnson has the Park moving in the right direction.

Quote from: TitanRailer on April 14, 2006, 11:50:38 AMAs for his dislike of Carthage, I just think most athletes have that one team they hate to root for.  I doubt too many Cubs fans and Yankees fans were truly rooting for the White Sox and Red Sox the past two years.  I know I wasn't rooting for the Sox last year as a Cubs fan.

For me and just about every Cubs fan I know, the one team we hate isn't the White Sox. It's the Cardinals. They're the team the Cubs have been playing a dozen and a half times a year for over a century; the team with whom the Cubs share a league and a division; and the team whose fans loathe and are loathed by Cubs fans due to the close proximity of the two fan bases and the fact that the fans of each are commonly seen at the ballpark of the other. The White Sox? Most of the hatred between the city's two teams runs one way. A huge percentage of White Sox fans despise the Cubs and their fan base, but that attitude is not nearly reciprocated to that percentage or degree by Cubs fans. Most Cubs fans would just as soon ignore the White Sox apart from the six games of the Crosstown Classic, but the in-your-face hatred coming from the South Siders -- and, yes, their team's World Series victory -- makes that increasingly difficult.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

emeritusprof

I'm a life-long Cards fan and do not "hate" the Cubs.  What continues to bewilder me is the record the Cubs always post against the Cardinals.

It's an old rivalry, but it's largely a .500 situation over some 100 years when the Cubs and Cards play each other.  This is remarkable when you consider their respective overall records--and all the Cards championships.

Are there any two other teams in baseball with essentially equal records against each other, while one (Cardinals) is statistically superior overall within the league and in series play?

Ralph Turner

Prof, what are the records of the Yankees and Red Sox and the records of the Dodgers and the Giants?

Those are the only 2 series that come to my mind.

emeritusprof

Ralph -- I don't know.  And, I was following the lazy man's route by posting a question here.  I don't have baseball reference works here at home, and I didn't try a net search. 

You are probably correct -- I'm pretty sure the Yankees have a better overall record than their record against the Red Sox.  And, it's a pretty safe bet the Dodgers are overall much better than against the Giants.

But, for as long as I can remember (c. 1940s) the Cubs play the Cards tough no matter what the standings.  And, the Cards hold the best National League World Series record.

And, even tho it's about .500 overall, I think the Cubs hold a slight edge of 8 to 12 games over the Cards.

REDMENFAN

Carthage has 3 home non-conference games this week against Carroll, U. of chicago, and today against Marian. I know these games mean nothing when it comes to conference play, but I think it is still important for Carthage to win these games, especially if they do not win the CCIW tournament this year. In non-conference games, quite a few guys will get the chance to play that don't see much time in conference play (and I believe that is the right thing to do.) However, its easy to play laid back against these teams you are "supposed" to beat, and the last year or so Carthage has done that a few times. Hopefully Augie can say something to these guys to let them know even though these aren't conference games, they are still vitally important to the season, and that goes for any other CCIW team that still may have a legit shot at an at large bid come playoff time

BigPoppa

You are right on, Redmenfan... even though these are non-conference games this week, they are still IN-REGION games which are more important to the selection committee. Even if Carthage gets nosed out for the conference tourney title, a solid in-region record should boost them into the NCAA post season.

BigPoppa

Carthage moves to 14-4 in the crucial in-region record category. Wins this week versus non-conference opponents will really boost that record.

Cooler King

Quote from: Captain Morgan on April 17, 2006, 01:24:04 AM
Quote from: Baseball Fan on March 27, 2006, 01:51:08 AM
\ I know with coach Jones in the driver seat, he will take his ball club deep into the post season this year. :)

My how things have changed in only a few weeks.

I doubt that a 2-10 CCIW record is putting Elmhurst in a position to even make the post-season, let alone make a deep run into it.
Has anyone heard about rumblings at Elmhurst?

Elmhurst likely wont even sneak out of the cellar this season-- with injuries and the loss of many good assistant coaches, they probably wont do any better.  In '04 they had the most talented team in the CCIW go 0-2 barbeque in the tournament. 
We probably wont hear anything from inside the team, as the team has now probably gotten told not to spend any time on discussion boards. (See "The Dirty Dozen Incident")

BigPoppa

Cooler... which coaches left the program?