BB: CCIW: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by RedmenFB44, January 05, 2006, 12:14:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TitanRailer

IWU also has three this week at Monmouth, hosting Rockford and Wash U.  I think IWU's current in-region record is 10-7 so they really need to win the conference tourney to have a shot (unless they can win out).  I am not certain if the 200 mile rule exists for baseball as it does in basketball.  Anyone?  

BigPoppa

Quote from: TitanRailer on April 17, 2006, 04:54:45 PM
IWU also has three this week at Monmouth, hosting Rockford and Wash U.  I think IWU's current in-region record is 10-7 so they really need to win the conference tourney to have a shot (unless they can win out).  I am not certain if the 200 mile rule exists for baseball as it does in basketball.  Anyone?  

200 mile rule does exist... anygame versus a team less than 200 miles away is an in-region game regardless of which region the team is in.

EX: If IWU(Central) traveled to Edgewood(Midwest) it would still be an in-region game for both teams.
Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

BigPoppa

Update:

After 4 innings... Carthage 4, Marian 1

Cooler King

Quote from: BigPoppa on April 17, 2006, 04:52:15 PM
Cooler... which coaches left the program?

Everyone but Jones...
Earl Hansen, assistant pitching coach
Mike Palmer, Pitching and strength coach
Denny Niezgoda, Infielders
Joe Niezgoda, OF and hitting
All great coaches, Joe especially.

REDMENFAN

Carthage beat Marian today 9-2. The majority of the starters played, but not all. Then a few more subs got in at the end of the game.

BigPoppa

Carthage in-region record moves to a very nice 15-4.

Anybody have the other CCIW teams in-region records? I am curious to know how they all stack up.

augie_superfan

To me, it looks like Augustana is 15-6 in-region.  I could definitely be wrong though because I just counted the games that I thought would be in-region.  I didn't verify anything. 

BigPoppa

Quote from: augie_superfan on April 17, 2006, 07:25:45 PM
To me, it looks like Augustana is 15-6 in-region.  I could definitely be wrong though because I just counted the games that I thought would be in-region.  I didn't verify anything. 

15-6 is still a pretty good in-region record. There will certainly be at least one team from the CCIW deserving of an at-large bid if they do not in the tourney.

Gregory Sager

Quote from: emeritusprof on April 17, 2006, 09:55:22 AMAnd, even tho it's about .500 overall, I think the Cubs hold a slight edge of 8 to 12 games over the Cards.

The Cubs actually have a broader lead in the I-55 Series than that. From 1892, when the Cardinals came over from the old American Association to join the Cubs (who were called the Chicago Colts at the time) in the National League, through last week's Cubs sweep in Wrigley Field, the Cubs own a 1,121-1,059 advantage over their archrivals. That's a percentage split of about 51.4% to 48.6% in Chicago's favor.

With regard to major league baseball's two other great rivalries, the New York Yankees are well out in front of the Boston Red Sox. From the time the two teams first hooked up in the American League's inaugural season of 1901 (when the Yanks were actually the league's original Baltimore Orioles -- they moved to NYC in 1903 -- and the Boston franchise was known as the Americans) through the end of last season, the Bronx Bombers have enjoyed a 1,060-879 advantage over the denizens of Fenway Park. That's a 54.7% winning percentage for the Yanks, which is fairly large for an all-time series that has had that many games played.

I couldn't find the nineteenth-century results for the Giants-Dodgers series. The two teams began playing each other when the Dodgers moved over from the AA to the National League in 1890. But since 1901 (including this past weekend's three-game series at Dodger Stadium) the Giants hold a slight 1,050-1,024 edge over the Dodgers. That works out to 50.6% Giants, 49.4% Dodgers.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Ralph Turner

Quote from: Gregory Sager on April 18, 2006, 02:17:40 AM
Quote from: emeritusprof on April 17, 2006, 09:55:22 AMAnd, even tho it's about .500 overall, I think the Cubs hold a slight edge of 8 to 12 games over the Cards.

The Cubs actually have a broader lead in the I-55 Series than that. From 1892, when the Cardinals came over from the old American Association to join the Cubs (who were called the Chicago Colts at the time) in the National League, through last week's Cubs sweep in Wrigley Field, the Cubs own a 1,121-1,059 advantage over their archrivals. That's a percentage split of about 51.4% to 48.6% in Chicago's favor.

With regard to major league baseball's two other great rivalries, the New York Yankees are well out in front of the Boston Red Sox. From the time the two teams first hooked up in the American League's inaugural season of 1901 (when the Yanks were actually the league's original Baltimore Orioles -- they moved to NYC in 1903 -- and the Boston franchise was known as the Americans) through the end of last season, the Bronx Bombers have enjoyed a 1,060-879 advantage over the denizens of Fenway Park. That's a 54.7% winning percentage for the Yanks, which is fairly large for an all-time series that has had that many games played.

I couldn't find the nineteenth-century results for the Giants-Dodgers series. The two teams began playing each other when the Dodgers moved over from the AA to the National League in 1890. But since 1901 (including this past weekend's three-game series at Dodger Stadium) the Giants hold a slight 1,050-1,024 edge over the Dodgers. That works out to 50.6% Giants, 49.4% Dodgers.

The Giants have been the Giants since 1885.

The Trolley-Dodgers (the American Association team from 1884-88) were the Brooklyn Bridegrooms from 1890 to 1898, the Superbas from 1899-1910 and were the Brooklyn Robins from 1914-1931.

As for that other New York franchise, they were the New York Highlanders from 1903-12.

irish21

Cooler...did they all leave since the season started or prior to the season starting? If it's since the season started, Clark might as well start packing his bags!
Iron Will

BigPoppa

mwunder

Carthage moves up to #8 in the ABCA poll and #1 in the Central Region.

Augie drops out of the overall poll and is at #6 in-region
IWU is at #7 in-region

Central (IA) is at #16 overall and #2 in-region
Aurora is at #22 overall and #3 in-region

Carthage could get a very nice in-region win on May 2nd at Aurora to help the "just-in-case" cause should things not go swimmingly in the CCIW tourney.

BigPoppa

Carthage has set themselves up nicely for now. Jumping to #8 will only help their case for an at-large bid should the unmentionable happen.

REDMENFAN

With Augustana's top 3 pitchers and the way they swing the bat, they are without a doubt a top 25 team in the country. Take a school like Ripon...I'm not trying to knock them, but look at the teams they play in their conference. I wouldn't be surprised if Elmhurst this year could finish in the top 2 in that conference. If Carthage is the 8th best team right now, and Augie was a few plays away from taking 2 out of 3 from them, how could they fall from 14 (i believe that's what they were) to not even receiving votes. By the way, congrats to the Redmen and keep taking care of business these next to non-conference games!