BB: CCIW: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by RedmenFB44, January 05, 2006, 12:14:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

REDMENFAN

Scheduled for 1 p.m. I wonder if Aurora has thrown their top 2 pitchers. Jacob Husing was Carthage's 2 all year, so hopefull he can get it done tomorrow!

augie_superfan

Yes, I think Aurora threw Chapple yesterday and Salter today.  There seems to be a big drop off in their starting pitchers after those 2.  Here are the next 2 guys with the most starts:

Miller
7 starts, 2-1 with a 4.40 ERA; 45 IP

Mueller
7 starts, 3-2 with a 5.79 ERA; 37.1 IP

Both guys give up less than 1 hit per inning but have rather poor K-to-BB ratios.  Carthage should have the chance to put up some runs tomorrow.

But, while I say all this, Miller did shut down Carthage a few weeks ago so we will see what happens.  I'm not sure if Carthage played their 1st team players however...maybe someone could fill me in

REDMENFAN

That's the game where looking at the boxscore, Carthage played all their regulars, but also subbed a lot of their backups in. My guess is that they were playing so poorly that Augie yanked a bunch of the starters out. Anyone who has played for Augie knows in a non-conferene game if he feels you aren't giving it your all, he will throw you on the bench in a heart beat.  Hopefully Carthage didn't use up all their hits today and have some left for 2 games tomorrow and can make it to Saturday. Should be a great one tomorrow, two teams that are familiar with eachother and a matchup that has definitely become a rivalry

BigPoppa

The majority of the Central Regional in the past ten seasons have had a Carthage/Aurora matchup somewhere in the mix. They are always great games... except for the 21-4 beating Carthage was handed two seasons ago.
Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

mr_b

According to the regional website, the Carthage-Aurora game starts at 3.30 pm.  The CMSJ-Millsaps game starts at noon.

mr_b

It sure looks like Aurora had a tough game against Millsaps.  The box score shows that the Spartans committed 6 errors (leading to 3 unearned runs), and the Majors reached Salter for 13 hits.   

REDMENFAN

Friday, May 19
Game Seven, 10 a.m. - No. 6 Mount St. Joseph vs. No. 2 Millsaps
Game Eight, 1 p.m. - No. 1 Carthage vs. No. 4 Aurora
Game Nine, 4 p.m. - Loser Game 7 vs. Winner Game 8

That's what is listed on the site Big Poppa listed before, so I don't know which one is right

frank_ezelle

I know the 10am start is correct for the first game and I'm sure the rest are correct--there are no lights so they need to start at 10. 

For anyone interested, Millsaps has scored 26 runs and managed 37 hits with 6 home runs in their first two games.  They have thrown their top two pitchers but they have some quality arms remaining and John Fox only threw 80 pitches Wednesday so I expect him to pitch again on Saturday. 
Millsaps Athletics:  http://www.gomajors.com/
Millsaps Photo Website:  http://gomajors.smugmug.com/

REDMENFAN

http://www.scac-online.org/baseball/mc.htm#team.mlb

Not hard to see why Millsaps has been so successful this year.

Spence

I questioned Millsaps' #2 pitcher because of how many extra-base hits he's allowed and still wonder if they'll have enough pitching to make it through unless the Hendrixes have success finding the strike zone, which looks to have been questionable at times.

I don't look at W-L or ERA so much as WHIP (inferred from BA against and walks/9) and K/9, so I figured their #1's ERA was misleading.

Still think it'll come down to Millsaps and Carthage and Millsaps can clearly hit, which wasn't a surprise.

irish21

Carthage cannot worry about it coming down to them and Millsaps. They need to get by Aurora first. It is one game at a time at this point.
Iron Will

frank_ezelle

Quote from: Spence on May 18, 2006, 10:52:35 PM
I questioned Millsaps' #2 pitcher because of how many extra-base hits he's allowed and still wonder if they'll have enough pitching to make it through unless the Hendrixes have success finding the strike zone, which looks to have been questionable at times.

I don't look at W-L or ERA so much as WHIP (inferred from BA against and walks/9) and K/9, so I figured their #1's ERA was misleading.

Spence--You're right about the #1 for Millsaps having a misleading ERA.  In the first game of the year Fox gave up 10 earned runs to East Texas Baptist in 2/3's of an inning.  Omit that blip and you have an ERA around 2.60.

The #2 had an injured right shoulder coming into the season and had just started throwing a few weeks before the season started.  In the first half of the season he would pitch a few good innings and then start to get hit around the 5th or 6th.  That's not the case any more.  And maybe it's not fair to call Kindler a #2 since he is now 10-2 on the season and 29-6 for his career.

Jay Hollenbeck will probably get the start today and he is capable.  He held DePauw to 1 run in a 7 inning game in the SCAC Tournament and he doesn't give up a lot of walks or extra base hits.  He should give a solid performance and that's all that it needed if the Millsaps bats stay hot.  At the SCAC Tournament they scored 52 runs in 5 games with their lowest output being a couple of 7 run games so the run production so far isn't too far from the norm.
Millsaps Athletics:  http://www.gomajors.com/
Millsaps Photo Website:  http://gomajors.smugmug.com/

AUpitch104k

Quote from: REDMENFAN on May 18, 2006, 07:39:49 PM
Scheduled for 1 p.m. I wonder if Aurora has thrown their top 2 pitchers. Jacob Husing was Carthage's 2 all year, so hopefull he can get it done tomorrow!

I would have to say that AU really doesn't have a 1 or 2, they have 2 Aces.    Between Chapple and Salter they would be anybody's ace.  And they are both going to be waiting to see another day. I was able to coach those guys for a year; Chapple can easily come back and pitch today if they need him. However, Salter would probably upset the Yankees if he bounced back and threw on no rest. AU still has a sleeper on the bench in Hutten.  He is the only senior pitcher that went from 45+ innings per year to 18 this season. He's a gamer so I don't know what his deal has been this season. I know he's one of 3 pitchers on that team that have pitched in big games. (Baseball Championship Series) and Hutten received 1 of the 2 wins AU recorded on their way to a 3rd place finish in 2004. I'm going to say this is going to be a great game at 1 o'clock.     GO SPARTANS

REDMENFAN

I forgot the name of the pitcher who shut Carthage down a few weeks ago, but I'm sure Aurora will go with him in today's game

PTR

Based on posts and messages that I have seen elsewhere:

Miller pitched the first time around.

He is supposed to throw today, you'll know by the 2nd inning if he has his stuff.

Based on boxscores: When Mueller throws, they use the #2 catcher ... so that dynamic may change from here on out.  He (Mueller) had a strong outing in Arizona.

Chapple may get the ball tomorrow if they beat CC.