BigPoppa

Carthage's Florida schedule came out:

March 10 Sat. Coe (DH)

March 11 Sun. Ohio Wesleyan (DH)

March 12 Mon. Concordia (Wis., DH)

March 14 Wed. SUNY-Cortland

March 15 Thu. St. Joseph's (N.Y.)

March 16 Fri. Clarkson (DH)

Ten games in Seven days. It looks like a nice trip for the Redmen with a huge matchup with Cortland State. The schedule works out well for Carthage as they can throw their #1 and #2 on Saturday the 10th against Coe and bring their #1 back against Cortland on Wednesday in a single game and their #2 against St. Joe's on Thursday.

The Redmen typically struggle the first game of day #2 which bodes well for Ohio Wesleyan. I can remember being #7 in the nation and sweeping #2 Wooster in a DH and getting pounded by a 3-41 Muskingum team the next morning.
Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

cubs

Quote from: mwunder on January 02, 2007, 11:47:49 PM
The other WI school that is ranked, Ripon lost 4 of it's top 5 hitters from last season and 2 of their top 4 pitchers.  I'm not sure they belong here.
Last years stats can be a little deceiving......  What is going to help them is that they return two guys who sat out the entire 2006 seasons and took medical hardships.  The first being Catcher John Dunlavy who is a two time 1st Team All MWC North Division selection.  He missed the 2006 season with a broken bone in his ankle.  (It should be known that Dunlavy had beaten out 2006 MWC North Division POY Eric Schwendimann the previous two seasons.)  Also back is starting LHP Bill Nolan.  Nolan is also a two time 1st Team All MWC North Division selection, and will probably be their #1 pitcher this season.  Now I know two guys aren't enough for a high National ranking, but I just wanted to point out that the cupboard isn't as bare as it appears. 

After this season though, I TOTALLY agree with waht your saying about the drop in talent.  Bob better stick to recruiting basketball players, because his baseball recruiting skills are really lacking.
2008-09 and 2012-13 WIAC Fantasy League Champion

2008-09 WIAC Pick'Em Tri-Champion

BigPoppa

Quote from: cubs on January 10, 2007, 07:02:36 PM
Quote from: mwunder on January 02, 2007, 11:47:49 PM
The other WI school that is ranked, Ripon lost 4 of it's top 5 hitters from last season and 2 of their top 4 pitchers.  I'm not sure they belong here.
Last years stats can be a little deceiving......  What is going to help them is that they return two guys who sat out the entire 2006 seasons and took medical hardships.  The first being Catcher John Dunlavy who is a two time 1st Team All MWC North Division selection.  He missed the 2006 season with a broken bone in his ankle.  (It should be known that Dunlavy had beaten out 2006 MWC North Division POY Eric Schwendimann the previous two seasons.)  Also back is starting LHP Bill Nolan.  Nolan is also a two time 1st Team All MWC North Division selection, and will probably be their #1 pitcher this season.  Now I know two guys aren't enough for a high National ranking, but I just wanted to point out that the cupboard isn't as bare as it appears. 

After this season though, I TOTALLY agree with waht your saying about the drop in talent.  Bob better stick to recruiting basketball players, because his baseball recruiting skills are really lacking.

Great info, but Ripon is not in the CCIW. It would work great on the MWC Board. Ralph, can you bump it over there?

cubs

Quote from: BigPoppa on January 10, 2007, 07:20:04 PM
Great info, but Ripon is not in the CCIW. It would work great on the MWC Board. Ralph, can you bump it over there?
I know Ripon isn't in the CCIW.........  I was just trying to give mwunder some reasons as to why they are currently ranked.  Hence me saying both players were All MWC selections.

BigPoppa

Quote from: cubs on January 11, 2007, 09:17:16 AM
I know Ripon isn't in the CCIW.........  I was just trying to give mwunder some reasons as to why they are currently ranked.  Hence me saying both players were All MWC selections.

Gotcha.... my bad!

cubs

Quote from: BigPoppa on January 11, 2007, 01:26:20 PM
Quote from: cubs on January 11, 2007, 09:17:16 AM
Gotcha.... my bad!
No problem.....  Anyone that played for the same coach as Dean Muthig can't be too bad of a guy!!! ;D

BigPoppa

Quote from: cubs on January 11, 2007, 02:44:34 PM
No problem.....  Anyone that played for the same coach as Dean Muthig can't be too bad of a guy!!! ;D

Muthing (The Pride of Clintonville, WI) was my boy. He was handed to me when I was a senior and he was a freshman and I was told to get him ready for the next season. He backed me up until I graduated and then he blossomed as a hitter and quickly became an all-american.

mr_b

Quote from: BigPoppa on January 11, 2007, 05:55:20 PM
Quote from: cubs on January 11, 2007, 02:44:34 PM

Muthing (The Pride of Clintonville, WI) was my boy. He was handed to me when I was a senior and he was a freshman and I was told to get him ready for the next season. He backed me up until I graduated and then he blossomed as a hitter and quickly became an all-american.

Muthig was one of the most feared hitters in the CCIW.  Too bad he got injured after he was drafted.  I always wondered how far he would have gone in the minors.

REDMENFAN

BP, did you play with Glen Braun at all? I still find it amazing he was the d-3 player of the year and didn't get drafted. I heard a story about him his senior year that has actually happened to a few other great Carthage players....he hit terrible on the Florida trip, can't remember the exact numbers, but it was something like 0 for or 1 for the trip. Then, got back and went on to hit over .500 and win player of the year. Carthage's baseball trophy case looks great. Besides all the conference championship plaques, how many schools have a Gold Louisville Slugger honoring the player of the year and the Golden Spikes award that Augie won (just added to the display in the tarc less than a year ago)

BigPoppa

Quote from: REDMENFAN on January 12, 2007, 10:49:14 AM
BP, did you play with Glen Braun at all? I still find it amazing he was the d-3 player of the year and didn't get drafted. I heard a story about him his senior year that has actually happened to a few other great Carthage players....he hit terrible on the Florida trip, can't remember the exact numbers, but it was something like 0 for or 1 for the trip. Then, got back and went on to hit over .500 and win player of the year. Carthage's baseball trophy case looks great. Besides all the conference championship plaques, how many schools have a Gold Louisville Slugger honoring the player of the year and the Golden Spikes award that Augie won (just added to the display in the tarc less than a year ago)

Braun was also a freshmen when I was a senior. We were loaded that year and neither he nor Muthig got much playing time. He should have been drafted as should have Shorty Flees. There are tons of Carthage guys that get over looked every year, but the pitchers usually get a shot at pro ball.

BigPoppa

Carthage Preview from the website:

2007 Season Preview:   Carthage returns a veteran team on the field, with all nine starters returning, plus two players who started in 2005 and missed most of last season with injuries.  The returnees include catcher David Wuis (Sr., Kalamazoo, Mich./Comstock, .340, 23 RBI), first baseman Tyler Yapp (Sr., Madison, Wis./La Follette, .325, 11 doubles, four home runs, 43 RBI), second basemen Steve Rucks (Sr., Elgin, Ill./Larkin, .333, 8 doubles, 18 RBI) and Anthony Gragnani (Sr., Niles, Ill./Skokie-Niles West, .309, 16 RBI, 11 stolen bases), shortstop Seth Romano (.321, four doubles, 16 RBI), centerfielder Boe Baitinger (Jr., Appleton, Wis./East, .379, 10 doubles, 23 RBI, 27 stolen bases, a .982 fielding percentage), leftfielders David Hermes (Jr., Fort Atkinson, Wis., .298, 10 doubles, three home runs, 21 RB) and Tyler Creekmore (Jr., Winthrop Harbor, Ill./Zion-Benton Township, .284, eight doubles, 15 RBI), rightfielder Steve Coughlin (Jr., Sturtevant, Wis./Salem-Westosha Central, .336, four home runs, 24 RBI) and designated hitter Moses Barker (Sr., Brookfield, Wis./Fort Worth, Texas-Southwest HS/Southern Nazarene University, .266 seven doubles, 13 RBI).  First baseman Chris Sadjak (Sr., Arlington Heights, Ill./Buffalo Grove), who was named second-team All-CCIW in 2005 with a .345 average, 10 doubles, three home runs and 34 RBI, hopes to bounce back from both a thumb injury and a broken foot.  Shortstop Jose Alba (Sr., Hanover Park, Ill./Hoffman Estates), who started all 43 games in 2005 and batted .275 returns from a leg injury.   "We hope to have Chris Sadjak and Jose Alba on the field most of the time," says coach Schmidt, "but if not, we have a lot of unselfish players who we know can play at this level.  We have a great depth of players who played a lot in 2006.  We played 15 of 16 kids last year pretty consistently, and we may go the same route this year.  If somebody cools off, we might just ride the hot guy.  However things shake out, our team on the field should be very strong."  With the graduation losses of pitchers Scott Evosevich (8-0, 1.51 ERA) and Jon Olson (7-1, 2.54 ERA), second-team All-CCIW honoree Jacob Husing (Jr., Iron Mountain, Mich., 6-2, 2.65 ERA) and Chris Krepline (Jr., Brillion, Wis./Reedsville, 4-1, 2.81) will anchor the starting rotation.  "Our pitchers are very, very confident," admits coach Schmidt, "but I don't know if they realize how good those two seniors were.  There aren't many NCAA Division III schools that have a Jacob Husing as a number-three starter.  We'll need to play better defense in 2007 and score more runs, and some of the other pitchers who did nice things at times in 2006 need to step up in 2007.  If that happens, I think the this year's team has a shot at being pretty good."

REDMENFAN

That preview can be a little misleading.  Tyler Creekmore didn't get much playing time last year (although many thought he should have.)  Also, Seth Romano only began to start the last 5-6 games of the season or so.  He just got some time when Warren Even had a slight injury, and hit so well that he stayed in the lineup during the conference tourney, some as a DH.  Also, Rucks and Gragnani basically split time last season, and most likely will again this year depending on who's swinging the bat better.  Sadjak staying healthy will be a huge key for Carthage Offensively.

BigPoppa

Quote from: REDMENFAN on January 16, 2007, 02:49:37 PM
That preview can be a little misleading.  Tyler Creekmore didn't get much playing time last year (although many thought he should have.)  Also, Seth Romano only began to start the last 5-6 games of the season or so.  He just got some time when Warren Even had a slight injury, and hit so well that he stayed in the lineup during the conference tourney, some as a DH.  Also, Rucks and Gragnani basically split time last season, and most likely will again this year depending on who's swinging the bat better.  Sadjak staying healthy will be a huge key for Carthage Offensively.

Regardless, Carthage has a ton of experience coming back and should be considered the favorite in the CCIW. I also think that has to put either Carthage or Aurora as the Regional favorite right now with Augustana in third. As a whole, I think this region is weak other than the three mentioned teams and I would expect another region to shift a team or two into the Central at tournament time. Usually it is the South (Millsaps 2006, Mississippi College 2005, etc...)

REDMENFAN

BP, I agree, I in no way was trying to say Carthage doesn't have a lot of talent and should be considered the favorite in the CCIW once again this year.  I was just saying someone who may only follow Carthage from afar a little here and there may think wow Carthage has all 9 starters back in the field, which isn't exactly the case. The only real loss for them is 3rd Baseman Warren Even who had a very solid career at Carthage. Other than that you are right, everyone is back, plus Jose and Sadjak return which can only help

BigPoppa

Sounds like another solid year for the Redmen. I cannot wait for the season to kick-off.