BB: CCIW: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by RedmenFB44, January 05, 2006, 12:14:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

knarocky22

Augustana starts their season off on Saturday in Port Charlotte, FL with two games; one against Franklin and the night cap against Hanover.  Here is a link to the Vikings schedule.

http://www.augustana.edu/athletics/baseball/schedule.php

BigPoppa

Augustana has a nice start with two Southern trips... one to Florida and another Arizona. We should have a great feel for them in two weeks.
Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

REDMENFAN

Go to D3baseball.com, there's a great picture of Carthage's Boe Baitenger. Article is titled "central region up for grabs."

BigPoppa

REDMENFAN... how does the Carthage team look from an on-campus point of view? I certainly think they should be favored to win the CCIW again. Pitching will be a concern early, but their offense should be back to its old form. I doubt their offense will ever reach the heights that the teams in the mid to late 90s did, but very few college teams ever reach that level.

bataviapete

Here's the link to the preseason poll:
http://www.cciw.org/spring_baseball/2007preseasonpoll.php

Carthage gets 6 1st place votes and is the favorite. 

BigPoppa

REDMENFAN... thanks for the link. I posted the story below. I have to say that it is very close to my own prediction.

CCIW Baseball
Carthage Picked to Win CCIW Baseball Title in Latest Coaches Poll

NAPERVILLE, Ill. – The Carthage Red Men were picked to defend its College Conference of Illinois & Wisconsin (CCIW) baseball title according to a poll conducted by the eight head baseball coaches Wednesday.

Carthage, currently ranked eighth in the latest American Baseball Coaches Association Division III Baseball Poll, took first with 48 points, including six of the eight first place votes. The Red Men won the conference title last season with a record of 19-2. Augustana (15-6 in 2006) finished second in the preseason poll with 44 points, including two first place votes. The Vikings are also nationally ranked in the ABCA poll as they are currently tied with Ithaca at 16th in the nation.

Illinois Wesleyan (14-7) was third in the preseason poll with 37 points, while Wheaton (8-13) was fourth with 25 points. North Park (8-13) was fifth (21 points), while North Central (7-14) was sixth (19 points). Millikin (8-13) was seventh with 18 points, while Elmhurst (5-16) was eighth with 12 points.

Voting in the preseason poll is done by the baseball coaches in the CCIW. Each coach votes for the seven other schools in the conference in order of predicted finish. Points are assigned in reverse order of voting (seven points for first, six for second, etc.). Coaches may not vote for their own team.

The CCIW baseball season begins Feb. 24 as Augustana faces Franklin College on its Spring Break trip in Port Charlotte, Fla.

Team Points (First Place Votes) 
Carthage             48 (6)
Augustana           44 (2)
Illinois Wesleyan  37 
Wheaton              25 
North Park            21 
North Central       19 
Millikin                  18 
Elmhurst               12 

REDMENFAN

BP, I haven't really seen much of Carthage this year at all, but I know most of their players, and have seen them all play last year. Working full time now and doing some coaching myself, I haven't gotten to see the Redmen practice. Based on who I know is on the team and having seen them play quite a bit, as well as playing with a few of them, I look for the Redmen repeat as conference champs with Augustana providing the most competition.  Florida will be interesting to see how some of the younger guys throw, but Carthage's three conference starters should be solid.

Gregory Sager

NPU also starts off its season against Franklin, as the Vikings take on the Grizzlies in a doubleheader a week from Saturday down in Indiana. Then North Park is off to Phoenix for a week of games against various D3 and NAIA teams.

Lots of new names on the NPU roster. I'm going to have to see what sort of a scoop I can get on the newbies.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

mr_b

Quote from: Gregory Sager on February 23, 2007, 01:15:19 AM
NPU also starts off its season against Franklin, as the Vikings take on the Grizzlies in a doubleheader a week from Saturday down in Indiana. Then North Park is off to Phoenix for a week of games against various D3 and NAIA teams.

Lots of new names on the NPU roster. I'm going to have to see what sort of a scoop I can get on the newbies.
Lots of new names, but not many losses because of graduation (Vladimir Torres, Oscar Ibarra, Brett Cooper).

BigPoppa

Augustana(2-0) got off to a nice start on Sunday in Florida:

Augustana 2, Franklin 0

Augustana 11, Hanover 9

augiefan

Augie actually beat Hanover and Franklin on Saturday. They moved to 3-0 yesterday with a 6-0 win over Rose Hulman. Their next game is tomorrow against Catholic University.

RedmenFB44

REDMENFAN -

Are you gonna be at the "smoker" this weekend? I might be able to make it on Saturday. So if I go I will hopfully see you there.

When is Carthage's first game?
It's REDMEN not RED MEN

KYGrizzly

Here is a link for some action photos of Augustana's games in Port Charlotte. I saw a man taking the pictures and he gave me the website that you can view and purchase the photos.

If I mess the link up go to www.petertravers.com and work your way thru the menu to the pictures.

http://www.bhtphotos.smugmug.com/University%20Sports%202006-07/291006

knarocky22

Augie wins 6-4 over Catholic today and moves to 4-0 on the season.

REDMENFAN

FB44, I probalby won't make it. I gotta coach my team in a tournament all weekend, or else I'd love to be there. Give me a call if you stay in town though, a few of the old roommates are going to be in town and we're all going out Saturday night!  On another note, racine product Vinny Rottino went yard yesterday for the brewers against the A's. Promising 3rd baseman Ryan Braun hit a grandslam and a 3-run homer. Go brew-crew!