BB: CCIW: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by RedmenFB44, January 05, 2006, 12:14:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mr_b

Quote from: yank52 on April 06, 2007, 10:01:17 PM
Mr B that is great to hear, now the big mountain needs to be scaled.
NPU needs this rubber match, it will be uplifting for the season and it will be the 3rd series win, 2 out of 3 from Millikin, already 2 from Wheaton.
Who will be pitching on Saturday for Augie's?

I'll surely find time to attend, I hope the student body comes out to give North Park enough heat to sustain them through the snowflakes tomorrow.

About 60 fans braved the cold to watch the first game, and about 40 stayed for the twinbill. Now those are what I call true fans!

vmax48

Dress warm Yank 52.  It was brutal out there today.  Gonna dig out the snowmobile gear for tomorrow.  Even though I'm an NPU fan I have to commend Augie's Don Hansen for the day he had.  2 of his homers went completely over the right field stands.

augie28

Huge game tomorrow for Augie.  They cannot afford to drop to 4-4 after playing Elmhurst, NCC and North Park.  Sure NP has improved dramatically this year, but Augie really needs to step it up.

I am glad to see North Park competing on such a consistant note though.  Coach Johnson has done a phenomenal job of turning the program around in such a short amount of time.

Yank...it looks like Augie will be throwing Brandon Engle tomorrow.  He is hands down their #1 and has been a very consistant pitcher over the last few years.  This year he is 4-0 with a 2.90 ERA in 5 starts.  It also seems that NP threw their top 2 pitchers yesterday, so in my opinion I hope that makes for a good day tomorrow for Augie.  Unfortunately, I can't convince myself to drive in there to sit out in that kinda weather for a few hours, but it should be a good game as it will be a big win for either team.

Also, congrats to Donnie Hansen on a huge day yesterday...7-9, 3HRs

yank52

Engle maybe the #1 but he is pitching now on only 4days rest, previous 3 outings 16,8 & 8 days rest.
It will be lower 30's with NW winds 15 to 25mph gusting to 30mph, along with snow showers.
NPU will most likely throw Neckopoulus unless the Coach uses DiCristina or Polka to cover. The freshmen won't be used in this important game.

This is exciting, too bad the weather is so nasty.
Sit tight, hold down the fort and keep the home fires burning. If we're not back by dawn... call the president.

CCIWin07

To those of you braving this cold weather, I wish you the best as well as all CCIW teams. STAY WARMM!!

I will be at home watching the Cubs inside a controlled environment.  ;D

mr_b

Final from chilly Chicago: North Park 7, Augustana 4.  Joe Di Cristina outduels Brandon Engle in an exciting contest.

yank52

14hits, 29degree weather, 75 fans braving the 29degree  temperatures.
NPU now 6 and 6 in CCIW conference and 3 series won.

Congrats to everyone who attended , see the snow in the 2nd inning!!!!!
Sit tight, hold down the fort and keep the home fires burning. If we're not back by dawn... call the president.

mr_b

Quote from: yank52 on April 07, 2007, 04:29:45 PM
14hits, 29degree weather, 75 fans braving the 29degree  temperatures.
NPU now 6 and 6 in CCIW conference and 3 series won.

Congrats to everyone who attended , see the snow in the 2nd inning!!!!!

Actually North Park is 6-2 in conference play.  Thanks to all the hearty fans who attended today's game.  It was well worth the price of admission.

mr_b

Highlights from the North Park-Augie game: Joe DiCristina (3-1) goes 7+ innings, allows 7 hits, strikes out 5.  Tyler Burback hits his second home run of the weekend as North Park collects 13 hits against Brandon Engle (4-1).  Steve Kleckler earns his second save in the three-game series.  For Augustana, Jake Meisenbach was 4-for-5 with two doubles and Chris Pietroski had the only other multi-hit game with two hits.  It was a weekend series with some very exciting baseball to watch!

knarocky22

Looks like Augie is going to be fighting for their conference tournament lives the rest of the season.  The Vikings' season has taken a very, very disappointing turn after a promising start.  Seems like pitching hasn't been very good and they just can't really get anyone out anymore.

mr_b

Quote from: knarocky22 on April 08, 2007, 11:52:26 AM
Looks like Augie is going to be fighting for their conference tournament lives the rest of the season.  The Vikings' season has taken a very, very disappointing turn after a promising start.  Seems like pitching hasn't been very good and they just can't really get anyone out anymore.
I think Augie will be right there when all is said and done.  They are a team that plays fundamentally sound ball, and they hit the ball hard and run well.  Their pitching has been good so far, but we'll see how they handle the rest of the CCIW.  Their series with Carthage will be crucial.

augie28

Has anyone figured out what this week looks like for the rest of the teams that didn't get their games in this weekend?  I bet it will be an interesting week for the CCIW with lots of conference games in the next 7 days.

Mr B, I agree.  Although Augie has taken a turn for the worse in the last week and a half, I still believe they have the team to get them into the tourney and give anyone a tough game if their pitching picks it up a little bit.  The next two weeks will be huge in determining how tough this Augie team, that was (prematurely?) named a strong conference favorite, really is.  Next weekend's series with Carthage is a must have, and even if they face up against a run down Carthage pitching staff from a long week, they would still be big wins.

yank52

being a newcomer to this media, I see the Illinois Wesleyan vs North Park more important than the Carthage vs Augustana.
the other teams in the CCIW will filter out, but the top 4 are more important for pecking order.  the pitching will always be the top concern, next to fielding, any time a team that hits above 300 and gets shut down they will lose. 
As of today I see Carthage winning 2 games to 1 at Augustana, but like the man said with this schedule so busy the arms may not be there by Friday/Saturday/ Sunday.  That is why I say the IW vs NPU is the top series of the week.

perfectgame

IWU's schedule:

Monday-  3 pm- Millikin (double-header) Bloomington
Tuesday- 2 pm- NCC (double-header) Bloomington
Wed- 3:30 pm- Millikin- (single game) Decatur
Thurs- 6:00 pm- Benedictine (single game) Lisle
Friday- off
Sat- 3:00 pm- NPU (double header) Chicago
Sun- 12:00 pm- NPU (single game) Chicago

Gregory Sager

This weekend's 2-1 series win marks the first time that NPU has taken the season series from Augustana in 13 years, going back to when Bosko Djurickovic was still North Park's baseball coach. This is therefore a pretty significant step forward for the Luke Johnson regime at NPU, which now has to be considered a force with which to be reckoned in the CCIW. Congrats to Coach Johnson and the Vikings!
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell