BB: CCIW: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by RedmenFB44, January 05, 2006, 12:14:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mr_b

I guess I was thinking about the tournament qualifiers as opposed to the regular-season CCIW leader.  Getting into the tournament is the key.

yank52

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on April 15, 2007, 10:13:59 PM
Obviously, not even North Central or Wheaton have been eliminated, but it is equally obvious that, barring some immediate sweeps, it is (realistically) now a two-team race.  For anyone else to pass both Carthage and IWU would require twin collapses of historic proportions.

Wheaton is not in the running anymore, they are having a disappointing season in the CCIW.  They were pre-season picks for 4th in the conference.  North Central has a tough road to hoe, they have a 2 and 9 record with 10 games left in the conference, 1 with Augie's, 3 with NPU, 3 with Millikin and 3 with Wheaton. They would need to run the table to get in.
Sit tight, hold down the fort and keep the home fires burning. If we're not back by dawn... call the president.

Mr. Ypsi

Yeah, confusion over the topic.  I was just thinking in terms of regular-season champ - certainly the tourney bids (and, therefore, AQ) are still wide open.

mwunder

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on April 16, 2007, 10:33:11 AM
Yeah, confusion over the topic.  I was just thinking in terms of regular-season champ - certainly the tourney bids (and, therefore, AQ) are still wide open.

This weekend brings the biggest series to date in the CCIW.  Carthage travles to Bloomington for a three game set with the 11-0 Titans.  In my mind, Carthage has to take at least 2 of the 3 to remain within striking distance of IWU.  Carthage has a remaining series with Millikin @ Carthage and another with North Park (home and home) and a single game with Elmhurst @ Elmhurst, while IWU plays Augie (home and home) and Elmhurst (home and home).  All 6 of these teams have a shot at making the CCIW tourney, so there's a lot to play for.

Scream

Quote from: yank52 on April 15, 2007, 06:21:33 PM
Alas, it looks like NPU woes will continue for another season, I think it time for "Wait until next season" chorus.

(BANDWAGON FAN defined)

Quote from: yank52 on April 15, 2007, 06:21:33 PM
Alas, it looks like NPU woes will continue for another season, I think it time for "Wait until next season" chorus.
NPU dropped 3 straight to IWU, Sunday's final 6 to 0, the weather was grand, the pitching was on but the bats and defense betrayed the Vikings today.

Hope springs eternal every spring, but the spring looks dryer with each passing conference series.

Good luck Vikings this week , make up with Wheaton and a 3 game series with NCC

Are you f'n kidding me?  You want to "wait til next year" after one bad weekend?!?!?  First of all, they're still in 3rd place.  Why is that reason to quit?  Secondly, it isn't as though all elements were off in this past series.  I'll give you that the offense sputtered but the pitching certainly appeared to be at least adequate.  If you want to go off the deep end after a series like this past one, I'd hate to see what you would do if North Park's bats and pitching were off.  Good lord, we'd probably see you jumping off Carlson Tower. 

Truthfully, if you're the kind of fan that says, "Ah hell, let's just throw in the towel" after one subpar game or series, please leave.  If your allegiance and loyalty can waiver that much, Park will be better off without you.   >:(
"Not the victory but the action; Not the goal but the game; In the deed the glory" - Harley Burr Alexander

BigPoppa

CCIW Standings as of 4/15:

Ill. Wesleyan   11-0   17-7
Carthage         8-2     15-8
North Park       6-5     11-14
Augustana       5-6     19-7
Elmhurst          5-6     8-13
Millikin              4-6     9-16
North Central   2-9     8-16
Wheaton          1-8     6-13-1

Carthage @ IWU this weekend will be a huge series with the winner most likely getting the #1 seed in the CCIW tourney. If Carthage can hang close to IWU they can make a run in the last weekend as Augustana and IWU have yet to play.

I am also impressed that North Park is hanging around again. More proof that Luke Johnson's coaching last year was no fluke. Wheaton has been a big disappointment so far as they were picked 4th by the coaches and I guess Augustana has to be considered a disappointment as well.

(I have been out of town for a week and not able to post... what a long week away from baseball.)
Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

yank52

[/quote]

Are you f'n kidding me?  You want to "wait til next year" after one bad weekend?!?!?  First of all, they're still in 3rd place.  Why is that reason to quit?  Secondly, it isn't as though all elements were off in this past series.  I'll give you that the offense sputtered but the pitching certainly appeared to be at least adequate.  If you want to go off the deep end after a series like this past one, I'd hate to see what you would do if North Park's bats and pitching were off.  Good lord, we'd probably see you jumping off Carlson Tower. 

Truthfully, if you're the kind of fan that says, "Ah hell, let's just throw in the towel" after one subpar game or series, please leave.  If your allegiance and loyalty can waiver that much, Park will be better off without you.   >:(
[/quote]

Kool-aid fandom is cute, but reality sets in.
I want NPU to be successful but watching and keeping track of season, it just doesn't pan out that NPU will be there (top of the conference) unless the athletes get with the program.  Winning erases all doubts and I have my doubts when I have seen the top team in the CCIW and their pitching staff is not a dominant force, NPU just didn't produce. Enough said!!!!!!!
Sit tight, hold down the fort and keep the home fires burning. If we're not back by dawn... call the president.

BigPoppa

Quote from: yank52 on April 16, 2007, 12:15:47 PM

I want NPU to be successful but watching and keeping track of season, it just doesn't pan out that NPU will be there (top of the conference) unless the athletes get with the program.  Winning erases all doubts and I have my doubts when I have seen the top team in the CCIW and their pitching staff is not a dominant force, NPU just didn't produce. Enough said!!!!!!!

I think you have to look at where NPU has been for the last ten years when passing judgement on the program. Just two years ago they were 1-39 on the season!!! Certainly, one cannot expect to move to the top of the CCIW in only two years, but they are definitely headed in the right direction.

Kudos to Luke Johnson for turning the program around in such a short time. Give him a few more years of recruiting and I would expect them to be a major player in the CCIW.
Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

yank52

I certainly see the future if the recruiting goes well at NPU but I saw the present (2007 season) unfolding in March and truly thought that NPU had a good chance of breaking through to the top echelon.
That is why I state my perception of their current standing in the CCIW and the Central region.
The next 15 games should be a good barometer of how this team with its upperclass players and influx of transfers & freshmen.  I would love to see them with 20 wins and making the CCIW tournament and winning some game(s) there.  I can take the critism, it is just emotions showing.

mr_b

Keep in mind that the four teams with the best CCIW records at the end of the regular season move on to the CCIW tournament.  The winner of that double-elimination tournament gets the automatic qualifier to the NCAA regional.  There will still be quite a battle for the four slots; Wesleyan and Carthage have the inside track on the first two, but it's still a dogfight for the remaining two.  

mwunder

Quote from: mr_b on April 16, 2007, 01:12:41 PM
Keep in mind that the four teams with the best CCIW records at the end of the regular season move on to the CCIW tournament.  The winner of that double-elimination tournament gets the automatic qualifier to the NCAA regional.  There will still be quite a battle for the four slots; Wesleyan and Carthage have the inside track on the first two, but it's still a dogfight for the remaining two. 

I was getting all ready to correct you about the conference tourney winner getting the AQ (thought they still used that stupid scoring system), but I just read on the CCIW site that you are indeed correct.   :o   It's still a 4 dog race!!

Scream

Quote from: mr_b on April 16, 2007, 01:12:41 PM
Keep in mind that the four teams with the best CCIW records at the end of the regular season move on to the CCIW tournament.  The winner of that double-elimination tournament gets the automatic qualifier to the NCAA regional.  There will still be quite a battle for the four slots; Wesleyan and Carthage have the inside track on the first two, but it's still a dogfight for the remaining two. 

good point Mr_b but obviously this season is already down the drain.  maybe next year we can hope to be in the top 4... 
"Not the victory but the action; Not the goal but the game; In the deed the glory" - Harley Burr Alexander

Scream

"Kool-aid fandom is cute..."

...and so is over-using sportswriter cliches!

Scream

Quote from: BigPoppa on April 16, 2007, 12:23:20 PM
Quote from: yank52 on April 16, 2007, 12:15:47 PM

I think you have to look at where NPU has been for the last ten years when passing judgement on the program. Just two years ago they were 1-39 on the season!!! Certainly, one cannot expect to move to the top of the CCIW in only two years, but they are definitely headed in the right direction.

Kudos to Luke Johnson for turning the program around in such a short time. Give him a few more years of recruiting and I would expect them to be a major player in the CCIW.

Well said. 

Plus, we all know the "well, there's always next year" chant is the hymn of losing teams and programs - something we're desperate trying to get away from. 

augie28

The new system for determining the post season qualifier (based on the Conference Tournament Winner) makes the season play out much differently than in years past.  Until now, a poor start to the conference season was a killer because you had to finish #1 to get to the tourney.  Now a poor start can be rebounded from and as long as you make the tourney you still have a chance to win it and take the bid.

Yank, For you to say "I have seen the top team in the CCIW and their pitching staff is not a dominant force, NPU just didn't produce" is just crazy for this exact reason.  If you truly think IWU is beatable and North Park could have taken the games had they played up to their potential then you should be excited about the rest of the season hoping they can put it all together in time to give IWU a run for their money come tourney time. 

I for one, after seeing Augustana play this weekend, do not believe they are a team that can contend at this point in the season and have no hope of winning the overall title due to a serious lack of pitching.  But I would never count them out, or anyone out, in the conference tourney.  It will take a huge turn around for the confidence of some of their younger arms, but baseball is a great game because anything can happen.  I am sure that the same thing can be said for North Park, and for a post season berth to even be a conceivable thought at NP is unbelievable.  I think any NP player and especially Coach Johnson would find your comments to be incredibly demeaning to the hard work that they have put in turning that program around.