MBB: Southern Collegiate Athletic Conference

Started by Pat Coleman, March 22, 2005, 12:07:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Boerger

I have no idea what happened, but last year's leading scorer and D3hoops first-team all-region F Enzo Sechi is no longer listed on the Trinity(TX) roster.  He was featured in the team's season preview on November 1st.  I couldn't find anything telling a story; he has been active on Twitter but his last actual post was a retweet of the season preview.  That's a loss. 

D3Navy

Riley Zayas

Quote from: Ron Boerger on November 21, 2022, 07:05:00 AM
I have no idea what happened, but last year's leading scorer and D3hoops first-team all-region F Enzo Sechi is no longer listed on the Trinity(TX) roster.  He was featured in the team's season preview on November 1st.  I couldn't find anything telling a story; he has been active on Twitter but his last actual post was a retweet of the season preview.  That's a loss.

Wow...that is a big loss for Trinity...
Proverbs 21:31. D3hoops.com WBB Top 25 voter. On the UMHB beat as the managing editor of TrueToTheCru.com, covering everything in CRU athletics. Read my blog, The Scoop on D3 Women's Hoops. Find it on the D3hoops.com Daily Dose.

Greek Tragedy

Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

itsnotmeitsyou

Curios... why does Colorado College seemingly struggle consistently?

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: itsnotmeitsyou on December 06, 2022, 05:04:50 PM

I think that'll change. New coach has already had some good recruiting success.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

itsnotmeitsyou

Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on December 07, 2022, 08:18:32 AM

That place - academics, location, access to players, geographic part of the country w/ few options for D3's, growing talent level in the "mountain area" of the country - lends itself to a potential gold mine if cultivated properly.

Ron Boerger

Quote from: itsnotmeitsyou on December 11, 2022, 12:51:33 AM
Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on December 07, 2022, 08:18:32 AM

That place - academics, location, access to players, geographic part of the country w/ few options for D3's, growing talent level in the "mountain area" of the country - lends itself to a potential gold mine if cultivated properly.

At the same time, the costs and high admissions standards means they compete with the Ivies and UAA schools for student-athletes.  Combine that with being on a plane every other weekend on average  makes it a tougher sell than it might otherwise be.

Ron Boerger

A surprising 180 for Trinity, who after struggling to a 5-4 start headlined by very slow first halves dominated a couple of pretty good opponents this week in their annual pre-Christmas tournament.  First to fall was a Geneva team that came into the tournament 8-1 before falling in the opener to Southwestern by 1.  TU rushed out to a 48-28 halftime lead and was never threatened in the second half in a 78-63 win where the entire bench saw significant time.  In the closing game, the Tigers got out to an even larger halftime lead, 50-23, over a good UW-Stevens Point team (8-4 before yesterday) on the way to a 84-63 win in which Jacob Harvey became the first player to score 30 for the Tigers since last season.

Leading scorer Tanner Brown didn't play in either of the two games for Trinity this week after playing 37 minutes in the prior game against St. Thomas.

D3Navy

Quote from: Ron Boerger on December 23, 2022, 10:25:03 AM
A surprising 180 for Trinity, who after struggling to a 5-4 start headlined by very slow first halves dominated a couple of pretty good opponents this week in their annual pre-Christmas tournament.  First to fall was a Geneva team that came into the tournament 8-1 before falling in the opener to Southwestern by 1.  TU rushed out to a 48-28 halftime lead and was never threatened in the second half in a 78-63 win where the entire bench saw significant time.  In the closing game, the Tigers got out to an even larger halftime lead, 50-23, over a good UW-Stevens Point team (8-4 before yesterday) on the way to a 84-63 win in which Jacob Harvey became the first player to score 30 for the Tigers since last season.

Leading scorer Tanner Brown didn't play in either of the two games for Trinity this week after playing 37 minutes in the prior game against St. Thomas.

There was a lot of energy on display.  It seems there is some real depth to the TU team.  Their confidence level must be pretty high right now.

D3Navy

Strong outing last night by the TU men at TLU (74-64 win).  Particularly good to see a big contribution underneath from Braxton Barry and the return of Tanner Brown (even if only for a few minutes). 

Barry had 14 points, 16 rebounds, and two blocks (one of which was an epic two hander).

Only going to get better.

Ron Boerger

Odd game for Trinity at Southwestern last night.  In the first half they almost literally could not buy a bucket, going 3-25 (2-15 beyond the arc, a staggeringly bad 1-10 inside), but thanks to Jacob Harvey, AJ Clark, and Jacob Millhouse's perfect 10-10 performance at the line combined with 14 forced turnovers only trailed 24-22 at the break.  In the second half the Tigers turned up the press even more, and while the Pirates were eventually able to overcome it most of the time (only 9 turnovers) it disrupted their offense enough so that when Trinity's shots finally did start falling (12-21 in the second half) it was more than the home team could overcome and Trinity won its eighth straight, 63-50.  Harvey led all scorers with 24 (3-7 from deep), Clark had 14, and Millhouse 10 before fouling out late.  The three combined for a 21-21 performance at the line.  Trinity enjoyed a 33-15 advantage from the line.

Next weekend will be big for SCAC playoff positioning as Centenary - with whom Trinity is tied for second but who won the first matchup between the two in Shreveport by four - comes to town on Friday as does undefeated conference leader St. Thomas on Saturday.  Both the men's and women's championships will be held in San Antonio the final weekend in February.

Ron Boerger

Big game in the SCAC tonight between first-place St. Thomas, still undefeated in conference play (9-0), and second-place (7-2) Trinity, who secured sole possession of that spot with an 80-59 win over Centenary, with whom they had been tied at the start of the day (and who had defeated them in Shreveport early in the season).   Last night's win, Trinity's ninth straight, saw the Tigers shoot 60%, 47% from beyond the arc while holding the Gents to 37% shooting and 23% from deep.  The Celts squeaked past Schreiner last night 74-69 in a game where second-leading scorer Freddie Ricks III did not play after seeing only seven minutes in St. Thomas' previous game against Colorado College last Sunday.

A Trinity win tonight would only maintain second place, but with the SCAC championships in San Antonio coming up in five weeks could help set the stage for an epic rematch. 

D3Navy

I was at the TU-Centenary game last night.  Terrific defense and hustle from Trinity.  Braxton Barry is becoming more of a force down low, and the lineup is healthy again with Tanner Brown making a significant contribution.

Opposing teams can't focus on just one key player:  AJ Clark, Jacob Harvey, and Ben Hanley can all turn it on and score.

The crowd was big and noisy and it's particularly nice to see the #5 football team, #2 volleyball team, and #1 women's BB team all there in numbers supporting their peers.

TU athletics are really cooking right now.