MBB: Wisconsin Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by Pat Coleman, February 24, 2005, 09:17:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greek Tragedy

It will be interesting if a D1 offer comes in for him and he's gone next year or the following year.
Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

Greek Tragedy

I dragged the wife to Madison to see the Stevens Point Pointers take on the Edgewood Eagles. Point came out of the gates fast and were up 7-0 in a blink of an eye. Edgewood weathered the storm and actually took the lead a little over 5 minutes into the 1st half. The hosts were up as many as 7 in the 1st half, thanks to the unstoppable force named JAKE SCHROECKENTHALER. Point did cut it to 3 at the break.

The 2nd half was tight throughout with neither team gaining more than a 2-4 point lead. Point looked to have sealed it with two FTs with less than a minute to go to push the lead to 6. However, Point imploded with back to back turnovers resulting in a quick layup and a 3 to cut their lead to 1. Edgewood fouled and Point hit the 1st FT, but missed the 2nd. Luckily, the visitors got the rebound and iced the game with two more FTs to push the lead to the final margin, 75-71.

A win is a win and I'll take a Pointer win any day. I was shocked that Jake Schroeckenthaler only had 17 points (and 14 rebounds). I thought for sure he was in the mid-20s the way he dominated Point's inside guys. One of Point's starting forwards committed two fouls on the "Big Jake" in the opening 15 seconds or so.
Pointers
Breed of a Champion

TGHIJGSTO!!!

Greek Tragedy

Tough week for the WIAC

1. La Crosse (5-0): Two more wins for the Eagles. An easy win over Cornell and a nice win over a solid Wartburg team in their tournament championship. They play Ripon before Thanksgiving. Don't sleep on the Red Hawks. They have a big win over SNC and also knocked off Platteville.

2. Oshkosh (3-2):  The Titans took a beating against highly ranked St. Joseph (CT) before bouncing back vs Nebraska Wesleyan. Edgewood comes to town before a battle of Titans when IWU visits this weekend.

3. Whitewater (3-2):  The Warhawks dropped two games by a combined 5 points to two real good opponents in Hope and North Central (IL). They get honorary WIAC member Ripon this weekend. Ripon plays 4 WIAC teams this year.

4. Stevens Point (3-1): They survived in the Capitol vs a good Edgewood team. They host WLC before a huge road game at Calvin on the weekend.

5. Eau Claire (2-2): The Blugolds dropped a game at St. Olaf, who has beaten the Pointers and St. John's, before rebounding vs Northwestern (MN). They should handle business at home this week with games vs Northland and MSOE.

6. Stout (2-3): Stout had a fun win vs "System" team Greenville where Brody Fox scored 70 points. The Blue Devils came up short vs CCIW foe Millikin the following night. Stout hosts Augsburg after Turkey Day.

7. Platteville (3-2): The Pioneers dropped a stunner at Ripon before losing a home game vs Mount Mercy, blowing a 14-point halftime lead. They head to Augustana this week before hosting Illinois Tech on Saturday.

River Falls (1-2):  The Falcons played well in two close losses. JCU, with all their D1 transfers, got by River Falls in the 1st game before a solid Hanover team escaped with a 3-point win. River Falls should get back into the win column with games against Northwestern (MN) and Finlandia this weekend.

Pointers
Breed of a Champion

TGHIJGSTO!!!

Greek Tragedy

Point has scored 2 points in the 1st 7 minutes of the 2nd half. I paid $10 for this? Ouch. Hopefully get it together soon! Come on Dawgs!
Pointers
Breed of a Champion

TGHIJGSTO!!!

Greek Tragedy

Wow. No idea how they pulled that one out. A win is a win. I'll take it.
Pointers
Breed of a Champion

TGHIJGSTO!!!

fredfalcon

RF WINS 90-88 IN  well played game. Falcons shoot 57%, NW 48%. Payne 21, Parker 15, JEDWABNEY 14.

WORLD'S OLDEST FALCON FAN.

MESSAGE TO RECRUITS:  IN DOUBT? ENROLL AT STOUT. DON'T CARE? GO TO EAU CLAIRE. AT A LOSS? TRY LACROSSE. FEELIN' OUTTA JOINT? YOUR PLACE IS POINT. DON'T LIKE THE REST? DO WHAT'S BEST!

GOT BALLS? PLAY FOR THE FALLS!

John Gleich

Quote from: Greek Tragedy on November 22, 2022, 09:54:40 PM
Wow. No idea how they pulled that one out. A win is a win. I'll take it.

13-0 run in the last 3:43
UWSP Men's Basketball

National Champions: 2015, 2010, 2005, 2004

NCAA appearances: 2018, '15, '14, '13, '12, '11, '10, '09, '08, '07, '05, '04, '03, '00, 1997

WIAC/WSUC Champs: 2015, '14, '13, '11, '09, '07, '05, '03, '02, '01, '00, 1993, '92, '87, '86, '85, '84, '83, '82, '69, '61, '57, '48, '42, '37, '36, '35, '33, '18

Twitter: @JohnGleich

Greek Tragedy

Obviously, John.

A 2-hour drive home and I'm still trying to figure out how Point had any business being in that game, let alone, actually winning it with .6 seconds left.

A lot of ways to look at this. As Semling admitted with a brutally honest observation, there are times when Point just has two, and sometimes one, player who's actually looking to score. A lot of passing around the perimeter and no one attacking the basket. It's as if they are afraid to shoot or make a play. At times, very little movement, backdoor cuts, screening to get guys open etc. Point could be the worst 4-1 in the nation, but they are winning. Comebacks vs IWU, Edgewood and now WLC shows they can get it done when it matters, but getting there is sometimes REALLY hard to watch.

I find it shocking that Point only had 10 TOs in the game. WLC pressed the inbounds nearly every time and Point had real problems finding a guy. The 1st half was pretty even, not pretty, but even. For about 15 minutes of the 2nd half, it was brutal. As mentioned previously, Point scored two points in a 7-minute span to start the 2nd half. It looked pretty hopeless as WLC built their lead to 12 with 13 minutes to go. It wasn't the margin of the deficit that was the most concerning, it was the fact that Point didn't look like they had anyway of getting back into the game.

There was hope as Point cut it to 4, but after several missed opportunities to make it a one possession game, WLC pushed their lead back to 12 with less than 4 minutes to go. That's when Point finally started driving to the basket and making some outside shots. Back to back 3s and a steal resulting in another bucket in about a minute and a half cut the lead to 4 and it was "game on." Point got it to two with another bucket and that set up Buchanan's heroics after a WLC miss with 9 seconds to go. The defense also stepped up big time, coming up with steals and causing some turnovers, also getting some timely rebounds.

Again, hats off to the boys for not giving up when many fans, including me, had lost all hope. This is hardly a well-oiled machine, but there are a ton of new faces and a lot of hesitation from players to shoot and make plays. Semling was pretty confident that those issues will fix themselves in due time. You can't complain about being 4-1 and there's tons of improvement ahead.

Speaking of "ahead," Point has a tough trip to Calvin this weekend to take on freshman phenom Jalen Overlay. Point couldn't stop Edgewood's Jake Schoeckenthaler, so they'll have their work cut out this weekend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PF27dJ5ktQ4

https://athletics.uwsp.edu/boxscore.aspx?path=mbball&id=11055
Pointers
Breed of a Champion

TGHIJGSTO!!!

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

To be fair, Point won a national title without any guys looking to score.  They're always well drilled on late game scenarios.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

Greek Tragedy

Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on November 23, 2022, 09:07:56 AM

To be fair, Point won a national title without any guys looking to score.  They're always well drilled on late game scenarios.

If you're looking at the 2014-2015 team, that's not accurate. They had 5 guys on the floor that could score and any one of them would look to score. No one was afraid. They had 4 guys willing to shoot the 3, all of them had fga of 234 to 332, so it was a very balanced attack. 5 players averaged double figures in points.

I understand it's early in the season and a lot of new guys, so there's some hesitancy. Semling seemed to think it will come around. Obviously that championship team was unique because of the balanced scoring, unlike when it was Kalsow and Bennett, for the most part.

And last night, in my opinion, had nothing to do with being "well drilled on late game scenarios". Like I said, I'm still trying to figure out how they pulled that out because for 17 minutes of the 2nd half, nothing showed me they were capable of doing that. I re-watched the 2nd half of the game when I got home and even the radio/YouTube guys were admitting defeat. They looked THAT bad.

The defense really stepped up with some nice turnovers and we hit some timely shots. It's a real head-scratcher for WLC, they dominated the 2nd half.
Pointers
Breed of a Champion

TGHIJGSTO!!!

Greek Tragedy

Nearly a full slate of WIAC games last night and they went 6-0. Stout's loss to North Dakota was an exhibition.

Point closed the game with a 13-0 run to nip WLC 60-59 on Buchanan's 3 with .6 seconds left.

Platteville eased past Augustana 81-73 as Ben Probst led the way with 30 points.

After trailing by 1 at the break, Oshkosh blew away Edgewood to win 79-52. Plamann had 23 and Borchert had a double double.

Eau Claire routed Northland 87-44.

River Falls hung on to top Northwestern MN 90-88 as Rodrick Payne had 21 and Logan Jedwabny hit four 3s.

La Crosse keeps winning with a impressive victory over Ripon 86-57. Ethan Anderson had 19 and 6.

https://d3hoops.prestosports.com/scoreboard/men/2022-23/WIAC?date=2022-11-22
Pointers
Breed of a Champion

TGHIJGSTO!!!

fredfalcon

Rodrick Payne had 30 pts, 8 rbds in a game in which RF seemed to play down to the level of Finlandia, winning  78-68. RF had 29 turnovers in all. Dylan Parker added 12 pts, 5 assists, and only one t.o. Not a fun game to watch. Finlandia had a scrappy D, but were out-sized and shot poorly. They kept the pressure on all game, trailing at one point by 2 with about 3 minutes left. RF started one junior and 4 underclassmen.
WORLD'S OLDEST FALCON FAN.

MESSAGE TO RECRUITS:  IN DOUBT? ENROLL AT STOUT. DON'T CARE? GO TO EAU CLAIRE. AT A LOSS? TRY LACROSSE. FEELIN' OUTTA JOINT? YOUR PLACE IS POINT. DON'T LIKE THE REST? DO WHAT'S BEST!

GOT BALLS? PLAY FOR THE FALLS!

Greek Tragedy

Big weekend coming up for the WIAC. 6 of 8 teams are on the hardwood.

Stout (2-3) hosts Augsburg (2-1, 1-1)

MSOE (2-1) travels to Eau Claire (3-2)

Ripon (3-1) heads to Whitewater (3-2)

Calvin (5-0) welcomes Stevens Point (4-1)

Ill. Tech (2-3) crosses to the border to Platteville (3-2)

IWU (2-2) treks north to Oshkosh (4-2)
Pointers
Breed of a Champion

TGHIJGSTO!!!

Greek Tragedy

Point doing well at Calvin. The hosts were up 23-15, but Point went on a 16-4 run to end the half to finish 31-27 up at the break. They basically double-team Jalen Overway every time he gets the ball in the post. Some pretty good defense and this will be a grinder. Dylan Ruder has made an appearance and hit a 3. Hopefully he'll get his feet under him and play some solid minutes the rest of the season.
Pointers
Breed of a Champion

TGHIJGSTO!!!

tomt4525

6'6" Whitehall F, Luke Beighley, has committed to Platteville.