FB: Minnesota Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:19:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

USee

Quote from: DuffMan on November 29, 2022, 12:12:56 PM
One of my major concerns for Bethel (now I hate Bethel, so I am not really concerned  :P) is how they will deal with UMHB's passing attack.  I know UMHB has some extraordinary athletes, and SJU was able to move the ball consistently through the air against Bethel.

So was Wheaton. Bethel plays a lot of man and is pretty aggressive with pressure. MHB has an AA QB  and 2 stud WR's (along with a potent run game). So how Bethel game plan's the UMHB attack will be pretty critical.

GoldandBlueBU

Quote from: USee on November 29, 2022, 12:14:49 PM
One of my major concerns for Bethel (now I hate Bethel, so I am not really concerned  :P) is how they will deal with UMHB's passing attack.  I know UMHB has some extraordinary athletes, and SJU was able to move the ball consistently through the air against Bethel.

So was Wheaton. Bethel plays a lot of man and is pretty aggressive with pressure. MHB has an AA QB  and 2 stud WR's (along with a potent run game). So how Bethel game plan's the UMHB attack will be pretty critical.

That's my concern too...sort of unlike historical BU playoff runs where they've had an extremely good defense, and the question was more whether the offense would be able to grind out enough points to compete.  I think the offense can probably score at least a bit, but I'm not sure how we'll handle their athleticism when BU is on defense.

You don't have to hide your love, Duff, this is a safe place.

hazzben

Ha, yeah Duff, we know you're a closet baptist and have Steve Johnson screen printed onsies you wear to bed this time of year  ;)

This is dead on though. How do we hold up to the Cru pass rush, and is Roste finally healthy enough that we dial up some designed runs, to help offset their ability to pin the ears back. And how does the D hold up. If we can't stop the run, and they can get effective play action going, we'll be asking a lot of or secondary. QB/WR combo the Cru brings in will be a massive test.

Another game of turnover free, penalty free, sack free football for Bethel would go a long ways as well.

D O.C.

QuoteSo how Bethel game plan's the UMHB attack will be pretty critical.

Yeah, and then execute it.

DuffMan

Quote from: hazzben on November 29, 2022, 12:53:38 PM
Another game of turnover free...

Turnover-free football would have the Johnnies playing this weekend, as well.  :'(

A tradition unrivaled...
MIAC Champions: 1932, 1935, 1936, 1938, 1953, 1962, 1963, 1965, 1971, 1974, 1975, 1976, 1977, 1979, 1982, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1998, 1999, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2021, 2022
National Champions: 1963, 1965, 1976, 2003

DuffMan

Quote from: GoldandBlueBU on November 29, 2022, 12:44:35 PM

Ha, yeah Duff, we know you're a closet baptist and have Steve Johnson screen printed onsies you wear to bed this time of year  ;)

You know that is something I would never joke about!  That would be like Faunch befriending St. Glenn.  :o

A tradition unrivaled...
MIAC Champions: 1932, 1935, 1936, 1938, 1953, 1962, 1963, 1965, 1971, 1974, 1975, 1976, 1977, 1979, 1982, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1998, 1999, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2021, 2022
National Champions: 1963, 1965, 1976, 2003

Ice Bear

Ice just nearly snarfed his seal blood when reading this.

Ice Bear is in total agreement here. To Ice, the biggest piece to this game is the Royal Baptist D. Ice has watched them bend, especially through the air, and hold just enough this season for Rockin Roste and Co. to get the W. IIBHO against this mother****ing team the bend but not break **** won't work. Ice feels the Royal secondary will have to step up like the RAF and police that ****ing air space like it's war time in Europe. Ice says if the RAF can force UMHB to "have to" run the ball instead of just "wanting to" run the ball, they may create enough wiggle room for Roste to have a shot. Ice says this is one hell of a tough game for the Royals especially with that UMHB offense seemingly peaking.

Ice says these are two excellent ****ing football teams right here. ;)
A long time fan of DIII Football!

emma17

Really looking forward to this game and wish Bethel the best.

If UWW's recent games vs. UMHB are indicative, imo Bethel (and fans) need to be prepared to accept there will be great plays made by the Cru. BU may have blanket coverage on Miller and Jordan, but those two make plays despite. Also, King will take off for a big/athletic run just when you think he'll be sacked. BU must respond on offense. I guess what I'm saying is it's unlikely BU will shut down the Cru offense, so BU needs to win primarily on offense yet still come up with a handful of defensive stops.

In the 2022 game, UWW dominated the TOP despite only a 3 yd average on 36 carries. The short/intermediate passing game for UWW kept the chains moving. UWW's persistent offense kept the pressure on UMHB. BU should be able to do the same.

hazzben

Quote from: emma17 on November 29, 2022, 05:01:34 PM
If UWW's recent games vs. UMHB are indicative, imo Bethel (and fans) need to be prepared to accept there will be great plays made by the Cru. BU may have blanket coverage on Miller and Jordan, but those two make plays despite. Also, King will take off for a big/athletic run just when you think he'll be sacked.

Yeah, my lasting impression from watching the UMHB against UWW and NCC last year was the sheer amount of insane plays/catches made by the Cru WR corps. This won't be a Linfield type setup where we keep them in check most of the game. We'll have to make big plays and respond after they make big plays.

Ice Bear

Quote from: emma17 on November 29, 2022, 05:01:34 PM
Really looking forward to this game and wish Bethel the best.

If UWW's recent games vs. UMHB are indicative, imo Bethel (and fans) need to be prepared to accept there will be great plays made by the Cru. BU may have blanket coverage on Miller and Jordan, but those two make plays despite. Also, King will take off for a big/athletic run just when you think he'll be sacked. BU must respond on offense. I guess what I'm saying is it's unlikely BU will shut down the Cru offense, so BU needs to win primarily on offense yet still come up with a handful of defensive stops.

In the 2022 game, UWW dominated the TOP despite only a 3 yd average on 36 carries. The short/intermediate passing game for UWW kept the chains moving. UWW's persistent offense kept the pressure on UMHB. BU should be able to do the same.

Ice Bear says this is a great point emma, great point.

Ice Bear

Ice Bear says if Bethel wins the TOP they will win the game...ok, maybe not. However, Ice says if Bethel wins the TOP, they will win the TOP and that, in itself, surpassess the importatnce of oxygen.

hazzben

Quote from: Ice Bear on November 30, 2022, 10:46:58 AM
Ice Bear says if Bethel wins the TOP they will win the game...ok, maybe not. However, Ice says if Bethel wins the TOP, they will win the TOP and that, in itself, surpassess the importatnce of oxygen.

TOP feels like the Boomer version (no idea if Ice is a boomer or not) of a participation ribbon.  ;D (no offense intended to Boomers, or their parents ... aka 57)  8-)

57Johnnie

Quote from: hazzben on November 30, 2022, 10:53:01 AM
Quote from: Ice Bear on November 30, 2022, 10:46:58 AM

TOP feels like a the Boomer version (no idea if Ice is a boomer or not) of a participation ribbon.  ;D (no offense intended to Boomers, or their great grandparents.... aka 57)  8-)
Fixed that.
The older the violin - the sweeter the music!

GoldandBlueBU

Quote from: DuffMan on November 29, 2022, 02:12:52 PM
Quote from: GoldandBlueBU on November 29, 2022, 12:44:35 PM

You know that is something I would never joke about!  That would be like Faunch befriending St. Glenn.  :o

I think I remember you saying at one point that you had SJU pegged as a second round and out team?  Clairvoyant. 

tigerguy

Quote from: CruFrenzy on November 28, 2022, 02:52:39 PM
My two cents on this matchup..

As I mentioned in an earlier post this will no doubt be the best opponent either team has faced this season so I'm really looking forward to it.

For UMHB, our offense the last two games has looked like it did on our Stagg Bowl run last season for the most part. Our HC mentioned after the game that we got conservative up 24-7 which was good to hear him address that because with all do respect to Trinity we should've put that game away at that point. So you can expect a great offense to prepare for.

On the other side of the ball is where I have my concerns as a Cru backer. Our secondary and linebackers are playing very close If not matching our standard but our defensive line is not the same as years past. They have improved and we looked good against the run but our pass rush is not elite, it usually is. So given that Bethel is one of the best pass pro Offensive line units in the country and has a Gagliardi caliber QB as well I do expect our defense to have a serious situation on their hands.. we've known that all year and it's only been a matter of time until we played a high level offense so it will be fun..

For that reason I think this game is a shootout... close game where both teams get into the upper 20's and potentially the 30's. Our team will not underestimate you guys but I hope our fans realize the challenge at hand and come out and pack the Cruthedral.

GO CRU

I think the game plan for beating UMHB for any playoff team is limiting their big plays. They have two incredibly explosive receivers, and one (probably more) really explosive RB - all of which can break plays of 20 or more for TDs at any given time. Against us (Trinity), their three TDs were from 20, 45 and 60 yards. Think they also had some other completions over 30 yards. Take those out, and their offense was good, but not necessarily dominant, since UMHB wasn't able to do much on the ground against Trinity. Looking at their game against Huntington, 6 of their 8 scores came on runs/passes of 15 yards or more, and 4 of the 8 came on runs/passes of 20 or more. In UMHB's other close games, UMHB's TDs were from only 7, 17, and 1 yards (vs. HPU - won by 3 on last second field goal) and 1, 2, and 11 yards (vs. UWW - lost by 4).

Don't get me wrong, UMHB is built to grind out drives with their fantastic line regardless of big plays; and obviously, limiting big plays should always be part of the game plan every week. But my two cents is you limit big plays by UMHB, then Bethel probably has a shot with their potent offense.