FB: Minnesota Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:19:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ice Bear

Quote from: emma17 on December 02, 2022, 02:41:32 PM
Quote from: Ice Bear on December 02, 2022, 11:01:31 AM
Ice Bear says 5-2 in favor of UMHB on Quick Hits. Ice can't really argue with that as he admittedly favors UMHB here but feels somewhat lost in exactly what to expect in this great matchup. Ice hasn't watched much of the Cru this season but is acutely aware of their big play capability. Ice will have to stick to his guns here saying that the only real thought he can offer is quite general and  admittedly obvious. The Bear looks to the Bethel D to do enough to give Rockin Roste and Gobbling Up Yards Geebli enough space to orchestrate a W. Ice says it's going to be tough and he hopes the Guru is right calling this one a classic. Ice can't wait for this one and will also enjoy the fact that he'll be able to watch it fully clothed and not handcuffed to his fireplace. Ice is also hoping for no injuries on either side.

Bear, I'm thinking BU has given us reason to be optimistic they will beat UMHB. Part of the challenge with the Cru is getting passed the aura of invincibility. In the 2018 UWW at UMHB game, the Warhawks were psychically dominated and soundly beaten. When UWW had to play them again in 2019, it was hard to imagine (except for Bleedpurple) UWW having any real success. UWW completely turned the tables in that game and beat them just as physically and soundly. UMHB isn't a team of Supermen, they have to be beat in the mind and on the field.

BU averaged over 4 yards per carry vs Wheaton and Linfield on 84 carries combined, two good defenses. BU has a tough O Line. I'm with the 2 of 5 on this one.

Ice Bear says +k emma.
A long time fan of DIII Football!

USee

Emma,

I wouldn't characterize Wheaton's defense as "good". They were decent but total defense was ranked #63 nationally and rush defense #36 (Wheaton's offense was #5 total and #6 scoring FYI). Linfield was better, but part of the mystery there was a lack of quality opponents but their defense was #16 and rush defense #8 (I think their def was #11 before Bethel game; total offense #33 and scoring off #5).

for reference, UMHB's defense is #45 and rush defense #28.

Bethel's penchant to bring pressure scares me in this one as Kyle King and his dudes are pretty good with 1 on 1 coverage.

sjujohnnie

Best of luck to Bethel as the last remaining MIAC representative in the playoffs! I'm curious how they'll look against UMHB & how the Wartburg/Aurora matchup will go. What does St John's need to address to get past the second round & when does preparation to do better next year begin?

emma17

Quote from: USee on December 02, 2022, 04:08:54 PM
Emma,

I wouldn't characterize Wheaton's defense as "good". They were decent but total defense was ranked #63 nationally and rush defense #36 (Wheaton's offense was #5 total and #6 scoring FYI). Linfield was better, but part of the mystery there was a lack of quality opponents but their defense was #16 and rush defense #8 (I think their def was #11 before Bethel game; total offense #33 and scoring off #5).

for reference, UMHB's defense is #45 and rush defense #28.

Bethel's penchant to bring pressure scares me in this one as Kyle King and his dudes are pretty good with 1 on 1 coverage.

Those are interesting numbers, I'm surprised w UMHB's low numbers.

My basis for saying Wheaton has a good defense is their results vs. Trinity and NCC. I'm assuming they must have some players to limit the scoring of those two teams.

I wonder if leaving DB's one on one is such a bad thing if the trade off is forcing King into mistakes and/or sacks. Point being, Miller and Jordan are so good, double coverage may not even matter. Out routes and fades to Jordan can't be stopped w a safety over the top. Miller- well that kid just makes plays.
Can't wait to watch.

art76

Weather in Belton tomorrow - a bit cooler than what I think they (those from Texas) are used to at 58F, with winds blowing down from MN at around 14 mph at kickoff. Whatever partly cloudy means - (perhaps mostly sunny - pessimist versus optimist?) - it doesn't look like inclement weather will be much of a factor. From Google Maps, it looks like the field is almost North-South in orientation, so facing South will benefit the kickers in tomorrows predicted wind. I am so looking forward to this game tomorrow - I think it's going to be a dandy.
You don't have a soul. You are a soul.
You have a body. - C.S. Lewis

Riley Zayas

Should be a great game in Belton tomorrow. Had the chance to chat with Steve Johnson, now in his 33rd season leading BU football. He's done an exceptional job, as I wrote in my feature below. Can't wait to be in the press box covering it. Looking forward to seeing Roste and that BU offense in person this season after having seen the success via livestream this entire season so far.

https://truetothecru.com/2022/12/02/with-an-attitude-of-gratefulness-bethel-heads-into-quarterfinal-matchup-at-umhb/
Proverbs 21:31. D3hoops.com WBB Top 25 voter. On the UMHB beat as the managing editor of TrueToTheCru.com, covering everything in CRU athletics. Read my blog, The Scoop on D3 Women's Hoops. Find it on the D3hoops.com Daily Dose.

art76

Quote from: True To The Cru/Riley Zayas on December 02, 2022, 09:54:04 PM
Should be a great game in Belton tomorrow. Had the chance to chat with Steve Johnson, now in his 33rd season leading BU football. He's done an exceptional job, as I wrote in my feature below. Can't wait to be in the press box covering it. Looking forward to seeing Roste and that BU offense in person this season after having seen the success via livestream this entire season so far.

https://truetothecru.com/2022/12/02/with-an-attitude-of-gratefulness-bethel-heads-into-quarterfinal-matchup-at-umhb/

Thanx for sharing!

bluenote

Wartburg - 49 Aurora - 23
Mt Union 42-10
NCC 45-10
Bethel 35 - 30

desertcat1

" If you are going to be a bear, be a Grizzly"

C.W. Smith

art76

Captain Obvious checking in now with the following comments - If the Royals can jump out and get a lead on their first two drives like they have in the last two playoff games, it seems likely they'll be able to hold on for a win. If they fall behind by more than 8 points, I'm not sure they'll be able to recover. I would love to be proved wrong on that last statement. I fully expect this to be a game decided by less than a score - either way. If this happens with both teams playing their hearts out, we all will most likely have seen the best game in the whole bracket thus far.

Go Bethel!

criswyly

Numbers, numbers, numbers can prove either way which team will win.  As said before UMHB is not invincible just ask UWW, just ask Aurora, etc, etc, etc. In fact just ask Howard Payne who gave UMHB all they could handle, and Howard Payne lost to who?....George Fox.  There really is no perfect way to analyse and predict this game.  Should be a good one, though.  Here's hoping that Bethel wins.  Don't forget UMHB has a new coach.  I wouldn't bet real money on him or his team.
Don't forget your booties cause it's cold out there!

Retired Old Rat

Lots of buffering on the MHB stream. Of course they use Stretch.

National Champions: 1963, 1965, 1976, 2003

DuffMan

No buffering in the MN 9-man championship game on 45.  ::)

A tradition unrivaled...
MIAC Champions: 1932, 1935, 1936, 1938, 1953, 1962, 1963, 1965, 1971, 1974, 1975, 1976, 1977, 1979, 1982, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1998, 1999, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2021, 2022
National Champions: 1963, 1965, 1976, 2003

BDB

Quote from: DuffMan on December 03, 2022, 01:16:31 PM
No buffering in the MN 9-man championship game on 45.  ::)
Good game. As was the MG championship last night from the Duff school district.  8-)

Jack Parkman

This announcer from UMHB yelling about holding is awful. I understand you are pulling for your team, but it's pretty bad.