FB: Southern California Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:20:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jknezek

Quote from: olddog on June 05, 2023, 04:40:17 PM
JKN...I get your points....you are not off. However this softening  has accelerated. Kids that grew up in the late 50's to late 70's...the delta was not as great as today's kids.
Even kids that grew up 1980 to 1999...understand your stance...despite the start of participation trophy era, everyone passes, and we can not hurt your feelings.
Now we have people pretending that XX and XY chromosome do not exist anymore, you can make up your own...so ya were getting soft fast. It's not just the US its the world.

I beg to differ with part of this sentiment. No modern generation was as derided by it's predecessors more than the group that protested the Vietnam War, protested in favor of Civil Rights, protested in favor of women's rights, and were deemed the "Hippy Generation". I came along in the late 70s, so it's before my time, but you just have to read the news articles of that period and you can feel the dripping disdain of the WW2 vets for their decendants. Everything from haircuts to drugs to casual sex were blamed on a group that is now, for the most part, the biggest slinger of sh!t aimed at the younger generations!

olddog

I came along about the same time as you, had uncles in the Nam remember Tet Offensive, sending them gift packs. I guess we were around different folks, my uncles did not have that sentiment, ones that served and ones that did not.
I too am a history buff, I understand your point.
California, Where no cares who is in charge and zero accountability

Dr. Doolittle

JKN...I get your points....you are not off. However this softening  has accelerated. Kids that grew up in the late 50's to late 70's...the delta was not as great as today's kids.
Even kids that grew up 1980 to 1999...understand your stance...despite the start of participation trophy era, everyone passes, and we can not hurt your feelings.
Now we have people pretending that XX and XY chromosome do not exist anymore, you can make up your own...so ya were getting soft fast. It's not just the US its the world.
When you don't believe in anything but yourself, you can play a deity yourself and decide your sex.

OzJohnnie

Quote from: olddog on June 05, 2023, 11:31:40 AM
Here we go....

MBA working for me with less than 2 years experience, I should be making 150k given my degree. Old Dog...if you think someone going pay you that right now then go. What makes you think you deserve 150k, "I have an MBA"...yes but I have guys without degrees that are more qualified to run jobs than you ? do you agree, yes they have experience....Now after that degree he never learned it what you can do for the business that brings value. Follow up, after two more years later someone hired him for 146k, I did not have the opening he wanted and was ready for, I wished him best of luck and still mentor. Happy for him. BTW ex football player and he did not melt when I got on him.

Favorite line from one of my 27 year old engineers, that is not "Fair"....almost everyday....This is business, its not about "Fair"....where in the hell did they get this "Fair" concept? Non football player...BTW

If one of these young people text or call and I do not get back to them, they get butt hurt....love to tell them I was doing something more important when they say I called you and half hour ago!!!

[  

OzJohnnie

(Yes, I appreciate every opportunity to quote this prescient movie.  It's hard to believe that it is 25 years old this year.)
[  

Dr. Doolittle

I think we all need to go bowling and have a white Russian!!  Classic.  Shut the F up Donny!

olddog

https://www.goredlands.com/general/2022-23/releases/20230616j5eccb

Wow this generation celebrates being 88th. I have your participation trophy in my safe space for you to pick up.

Gray Fox

When I moved to Dallas, I couldn't get SCIAC scores in the newspaper. Luckily I found D3Football.

Now that the LA Times won't even have TV Schedules and box scores of even UCLA or USC, what are local SCIAC Fans going to do?
Fierce When Roused

jknezek

Quote from: Gray Fox on July 16, 2023, 04:12:10 PM
When I moved to Dallas, I couldn't get SCIAC scores in the newspaper. Luckily I found D3Football.

Now that the LA Times won't even have TV Schedules and box scores of even UCLA or USC, what are local SCIAC Fans going to do?

As someone with a long disused degree in print journalism... they should stop relying on an outmoded and dying business to provide them with relevant information. But then again, I live in an area where the only local surviving newspaper stopped having print editions this year so you can't even get one if you want one, and I'm not sure anyone under the age of 60 misses it.

olddog

LA Times did it to themselves, dropped that POS 15 years ago. I get the digital era has changed things, but plenty of papers still have a sports section. What is funny to me is all these media outlets push an agenda then are left with less viewership or readership (ESPN is up for sale now), ...Just cover sports....I did not turn on your channel to watch Fox News or CNN...

wally_wabash

Did the LA Times ever have robust coverage of the SCIAC?  That would be the news flash for me. 

In any case, D3football.com is going to have those folks covered.   :)
"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

Gray Fox

Quote from: wally_wabash on July 19, 2023, 03:09:32 PM

Did the LA Times ever have robust coverage of the SCIAC?  That would be the news flash for me. 

In any case, D3football.com is going to have those folks covered.   :)

They used to at least have the local scores along with the national scores.  This is actually probably a good thing for Pat.
Fierce When Roused

NWCFan

I'm new to the board but how do the SCIAC Teams think they pare up against the NWC Teams? Just curious?

The Third Division

Quote from: NWCFan on July 20, 2023, 12:54:45 AM
I'm new to the board but how do the SCIAC Teams think they pare up against the NWC Teams? Just curious?

because the sciac doesn't have a "linfield" in their conference they're worse.

Dr. Doolittle

Linfield aside, the SCIAC consistently beats the NWC teams in the past 4 years.