NCAA Tournament

Started by David Collinge, February 23, 2009, 05:35:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pat Coleman

So to finish that thought, when we went with the alternate scenario, Howard Payne winning the conference, MC got on the table when UT-Dallas was selected. But at that point there was only one bid left to be handed out.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

golden_dome

Quote from: Pat Coleman on March 01, 2009, 05:53:12 PM
So to finish that thought, when we went with the alternate scenario, Howard Payne winning the conference, MC got on the table when UT-Dallas was selected. But at that point there was only one bid left to be handed out.

Pat,
Thanks for the info. I think we'll be close, but regardless if it's us or another ASC team, I think we have several women's teams who could win NCAA Tourney games, and I'd hate to see teams from other regions get in with worse regional records just because of OWP and OOWP.

I think the ASC's resume the last three years is as good as any in the country the last three years, and this is a strong year from what I've seen.  I think emphasis on OWP and OOWP is great when dealing with teams in the same region, but it is just not effective when comparing teams in different regions.

I wonder if the national committee takes that into consideration when giving out Pool C bids?

Hoosier Titan

Massey rankings for the IWU/Stevens Point/Wash U/St. Benedict quad:
Massey rankings

#1   IWU
#3   UW-Stevens Point
#4   UW-Eau Claire
#5   UW-Whitewater
#6   Wash U
#9   St. Benedict
#13 Howard Payne
#15 Simpson

Six of the top 10--whoever emerges from this quad will surely be battle-tested.
You'll never walk alone.

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: Hoosier Titan on March 02, 2009, 01:01:35 PM
Massey rankings

#1   IWU
#3   UW-Stevens Point
#4   UW-Eau Claire
#5   UW-Whitewater
#6   Wash U
#9   St. Benedict
#13 Howard Payne
#15 Simpson

That is one tough bracket!  But the women's committee still beats the hell out of the men's in 'spreading the wealth' - one bracket for the men has Massey's #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, #8, #9, and #11 teams! :o  Whichever team survives that group may find the FF to be their two easiest games!

mark_reichert

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on March 02, 2009, 01:23:42 PM
Quote from: Hoosier Titan on March 02, 2009, 01:01:35 PM
Massey rankings

#1   IWU
#3   UW-Stevens Point
#4   UW-Eau Claire
#5   UW-Whitewater
#6   Wash U
#9   St. Benedict
#13 Howard Payne
#15 Simpson

That is one tough bracket!  But the women's committee still beats the hell out of the men's in 'spreading the wealth' - one bracket for the men has Massey's #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, #8, #9, and #11 teams! :o  Whichever team survives that group may find the FF to be their two easiest games!

I don't know the Massey rankings but based on the Week 13 D3hoops rankings, this is the section containing WashU.

1 Washington U.
2 UW-Eau Claire
3 Baldwin-Wallace
7 Capital
8 Millikin
13 UW-Oshkosh

We all know how that Final Four turned out.  Eau Claire and Baldwin Wallace should have had a chance to go to the Final Four.

Hoosier Titan

Quote from: mark_reichert on March 02, 2009, 08:40:35 PM

I don't know the Massey rankings but based on the Week 13 D3hoops rankings, this is the section containing WashU.

1 Washington U.
2 UW-Eau Claire
3 Baldwin-Wallace
7 Capital
8 Millikin
13 UW-Oshkosh

We all know how that Final Four turned out.  Eau Claire and Baldwin Wallace should have had a chance to go to the Final Four.

Mark Reichert,

You can't be talking about this year--what year are you talking about?
You'll never walk alone.

David Collinge

1 Washington U.
2 UW-Eau Claire
3 Baldwin-Wallace
7 Capital
8 Millikin
13 UW-Oshkosh

We might all know how that Final Four turned out, if we all knew you were talking about the 1999-2000 season.  And that year, B-WC lost their first game, to Calvin, so I don't know how having those other top 13 teams in their section kept them from the Final Four.  And as far as I can tell, Millikin didn't even get a bid that year.

buf

WOW!  I see that all 4 UAA teams that got in are hosting this weekend.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Here is what I wrote on the UAA board:

Quote from: Dave "d-mac" McHugh on March 02, 2009, 05:53:37 PM
Quote from: quaj on March 02, 2009, 12:33:23 PM
I was surprised as well about how many UAA schools were hosting but good luck to all the UAA teams this year. I'm looking forward to some great basketball in the Washington University Field House this weekend.

You can thank the fact that it is 2009 - an odd numbered year. Women have priority over the men in the first two rounds for hosting so NYU, Wash U, Brandies, and Rochester all got their opportunities... especially considering the fact all of those teams are in different regions! Four teams, four regions, odd numbered year, hosting chance!
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

mark_reichert

Quote from: Hoosier Titan on March 02, 2009, 08:48:53 PM

1 Washington U.
2 UW-Eau Claire
3 Baldwin-Wallace
7 Capital
8 Millikin
13 UW-Oshkosh

Mark Reichert,

You can't be talking about this year--what year are you talking about?

Sorry, I didn't mean to leave that out.  Mr. Collinge is correct.  I meant the 2000 tournament.

mark_reichert

Quote from: David Collinge on March 02, 2009, 08:51:47 PM

1 Washington U.
2 UW-Eau Claire
3 Baldwin-Wallace
7 Capital
8 Millikin
13 UW-Oshkosh

We might all know how that Final Four turned out, if we all knew you were talking about the 1999-2000 season.  And that year, B-WC lost their first game, to Calvin, so I don't know how having those other top 13 teams in their section kept them from the Final Four.  And as far as I can tell, Millikin didn't even get a bid that year.

HUHHHH?!?!  ???

Baldwin-Wallace lost to the Bears in the Sectional Championship 86-71.

UW-Eau Claire lost to the Bears in the Sectional Semifinals 81-63.

Millikin lost to UW-Eau Claire in the second round 75-38, so perhaps they shouldn't have gotten a bid. :)

I did do my research before posting even if I did manage to leave out that I was talking about the 2000 Women's Tournament.  As far as the "we all know", I thought more people remembered the biggest Final Four blowout in the history of the tournament (64-30, 79-33), particularly given the talk about this years Salem Final Four perhaps being a blowout.  The games in St. Louis may not have been all that close at the end, but they were hardly blowouts.

http://www.d3hoops.com/archives/wncaa00.htm

http://www.d3hoops.com/top25/00/week13.htm

David Collinge

Oops...It seems I was looking at the 1999 tournament bracket, not the 2000 bracket.  Sorry.  :-[

ChicagoHopeNut

On the idea of tough roads. The 2006 Hope championship team beat Denison, then number 10 Capital in the first weekend of the tournament. But in their next four games the Flying Dutch beat the teams ranked 1-4 in the d3hoops poll.
Tribes of primitve hunters, with rhinestone codpieces rampant, should build pyramids of Chevy engines covered in butterscotch syrup to exalt the diastolic, ineffable, scintillated and cacophonous salamander of truth which slimes and distracts from each and every orifice of your holy refrigerator.

mark_reichert

Quote from: ChicagoHopeNut (recently relocated from DC) on March 03, 2009, 06:44:49 PM
On the idea of tough roads. The 2006 Hope championship team beat Denison, then number 10 Capital in the first weekend of the tournament. But in their next four games the Flying Dutch beat the teams ranked 1-4 in the d3hoops poll.

Except I wasn't talking about tough roads, I was looking at more from the Eau Claire and Baldwin Wallace point of view, and the view of somebody who would have liked a competitive Final Four.   That Bears team wouldn't have had a tough road no matter what Sectional you put them in.   Never mind the verdict of the NCAA 25th anniversary poll or D3hoops 10th Anniversary teams, the bench played a lot of the 79-33 final, because of foul trouble for Fischer and Rodgers in the first, and then probably the score in the second.  I'd know more if I could ever find a box score on the game.

Dragging this back to the present, discussion of this year's women's Illinois Wesleyan team is the first I've seen anything close to this from the Bears Field Guide:
If the entire 1999-2000 season had to be summed up in one
word, that word would be convincing. Washington U. won by
an average of 28.2 points per game and allowed no team to get
closer than 11 points. The Bears never trailed at halftime, and
were behind in the second half just once ... for 17 seconds.

If I had been talking about tough roads, I would have brought up the 1998 Tournament in which WashU won its first Championship, coming out of a Sectional with these teams

Washington U.
Wisconsin-Oshkosh
Austin
Bridgewater
Wisconsin-Eau Claire
Randolph-Macon
Millikin
Christopher Newport
Beloit
Southwestern
Wheaton
Roanoke

Before beating Rowan, and then Southern Maine on its own court.

Since this seems to be before the Top 25 poll, I have no idea what the relative rankings were, but this writeup seemed to think it was tough road:

http://www.d3hoops.com/danbury/wtitle98.htm

mark_reichert

P.S. I've been thinking on it, and while I remain convinced that none of the teams since 2000 are as strong as the 2000 Bears, the 1993-94 and 1994-95 Capital teams may have been.

The 1994 Tournament run was certainly "convincing"

Capital 82, Washington (Mo.) 63
Capital 72, Wheaton (Mass.) 54
Capital 89, Defiance 64
Capital 74, NYU 51
Capital 96, Penn State-Behrend 75

and the 1994-95 team went 33-0.