NESCAC

Started by LaPaz, September 11, 2011, 05:54:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

northman

Kind of amazing that no one has posted on the NESCAC thread since Nov. 15.  Is this a conference that's turning into a yawner, and/or being taken for granted?

At any rate, there seem to be some interesting story lines in between the U Chicago, Kenyon, Stevens, Johns Hopkins, etc. story lines.  Williams advancing all the way to the elite eight with a record number of ties (draws) but only one loss.  Amherst losing at home to Mary Washington in a game in which they were overwhelmingly favored.  Bowdoin, who seems to be some people's "stealth", "dark horse", etc. team that doesn't get a whole lot of attention...but took care of business in a 3-1 win over SUNY Oneonta while losing NESCAC POY Dylan Reid and ROY Tyler Huck after 24 minutes.

Only 2 NESCAC teams in the final 8.  Are there any interesting stories here?

Kuiper

Quote from: northman on November 19, 2022, 06:33:15 PM
Kind of amazing that no one has posted on the NESCAC thread since Nov. 15.  Is this a conference that's turning into a yawner, and/or being taken for granted?

I think the "Big Dance" thread has basically taken the place of all the regional threads on game days/weekends.  There were plenty of posts there about both all of the games involving NESCAC teams.

PaulNewman

Quote from: northman on November 19, 2022, 06:33:15 PM

At any rate, there seem to be some interesting story lines in between the U Chicago, Kenyon, Stevens, Johns Hopkins, etc. story lines.  Williams advancing all the way to the elite eight with a record number of ties (draws) but only one loss.  Amherst losing at home to Mary Washington in a game in which they were overwhelmingly favored.  Bowdoin, who seems to be some people's "stealth", "dark horse", etc. team that doesn't get a whole lot of attention...but took care of business in a 3-1 win over SUNY Oneonta while losing NESCAC POY Dylan Reid and ROY Tyler Huck after 24 minutes.

Only 2 NESCAC teams in the final 8.  Are there any interesting stories here?

You sound a little ticked off...like you think NESCAC has been ignored and disrespected with a particular disregard of Bowdoin. 

Posting about NESCAC and NESCAC teams have dominated the board all season, including since Nov 15.

Bowdoin has been considered a lead national contender for weeks...even if stealthily...maybe a few days off the radar for the NESCAC semis week/weekend but otherwise pretty prominent.

What happened with Reid and Huck?  Are they playing tomorrow?

BTW, which other conference-specific threads have you noticed bursting at the seams?

northman

No...I'm not ticked off.  Just attempting to stimulate a little NESCAC discussion.  But if everyone thinks it's being adequately covered on other threads, then I am fine!

northman

And I wish I knew the story on Huck and Reid.  Huck was injured when he scored Bowdoin's second goal while colliding with Oneonta's keeper.  And then...seemingly at the very same time...Reid was hobbling while being helped off the field.  It appears they were both injured in the very same minute while on opposite ends of the field.  They'll certainly both be missed tomorrow.  I was impressed with MWU's skill on the ball, composure, and lightning quick counterattacks.

PaulNewman

Quote from: northman on November 19, 2022, 07:10:03 PM
No...I'm not ticked off.  Just attempting to stimulate a little NESCAC discussion.  But if everyone thinks it's being adequately covered on other threads, then I am fine!

You have great insights....tell us some interesting observations about Williams and Bowdoin as the remaining teams.  And what about Reid and Huck?

Just saw you posted about Reid and Huck haha.

So they are definitely out?  That is freakish bad luck.

northman

Well, I can't pretend to have much insight on the entire NESCAC.  I saw the very end of the regular season game between Bowdoin and Williams in Brunswick.  Through my undoubtedly cloudy lens, it seemed that Bowdoin had the edge in play that day...but Williams had the edge where it counted...on the score sheet.

If I look at their body of work on the stat sheet, Williams looks like they have a much more solid (perhaps almost impenetrable) defense than they've received credit for.  Interestingly, Bowdoin and Williams finished first and second among the NESCAC teams in goals allowed throughout the season (including league and non-league games)...and perhaps that tells us something.

And at the risk of beating the proverbial dead horse...surviving the gauntlet of 10 regular season NESCAC games does indeed prepare teams for the rigors and ups and downs of the NCAA tournament.

coach analytics

Quote from: northman on November 19, 2022, 07:28:10 PM
Well, I can't pretend to have much insight on the entire NESCAC.  I saw the very end of the regular season game between Bowdoin and Williams in Brunswick.  Through my undoubtedly cloudy lens, it seemed that Bowdoin had the edge in play that day...but Williams had the edge where it counted...on the score sheet.

If I look at their body of work on the stat sheet, Williams looks like they have a much more solid (perhaps almost impenetrable) defense than they've received credit for.  Interestingly, Bowdoin and Williams finished first and second among the NESCAC teams in goals allowed throughout the season (including league and non-league games)...and perhaps that tells us something.

And at the risk of beating the proverbial dead horse...surviving the gauntlet of 10 regular season NESCAC games does indeed prepare teams for the rigors and ups and downs of the NCAA tournament.

I agree that the schedule these NESCAC teams play really prepares them for the tournament, especially the back to backs.  Also Mary Washington played a good schedule as well so not a surprise that they are where they are.

I will definitely be rooting for Bowdoin and Williams to move on.  I am so happy that Amherst is out.  I root for all the NESCAC teams besides them because these are the teams I see most often.  However, I just cannot stand the antics of Amherst and their bench.  Leading the league in fouls and yellows for the better part of a decade.  It really cost them yesterday when Ten Cate took his 2nd yellow. just dumb in that spot when they were in control of the situation. Very undisciplined.  Even if they won, he would have missed todays game.

coach analytics

During this tournament the NESCAC teams have not dominated quite as much as the last two when they literally did not lost a single game to a non NESCAC team.

However, this tournament shows the incredible depth of the league.  Just in the last 3 tournaments you have had 4 different teams in the Final 4.  Even more impressive is that in the past two tournaments you have had 6 different teams make an Elite 8.

nescacfan94

Quote from: coach analytics on November 20, 2022, 06:55:33 PM
However, this tournament shows the incredible depth of the league.  Just in the last 3 tournaments you have had 4 different teams in the Final 4.  Even more impressive is that in the past two tournaments you have had 6 different teams make an Elite 8.

This post wins the Internet for the day.

Newenglander

Recruiting Question - I assume most NESCAC schools are done with the bulk of their 2023 recruiting correct?  Most schools ask they commit Early Decision?

Yankeesoccerdad

Quote from: Newenglander on December 08, 2022, 11:15:43 AM
Recruiting Question - I assume most NESCAC schools are done with the bulk of their 2023 recruiting correct?  Most schools ask they commit Early Decision?
In my experience, typically schools like to have their incoming class set by the end of summer at the latest with an oral understanding that the applicants will apply early decision after the coach has run the file through the admissions office for a pre-read and soft commitment to admit.

Another Mom

Quote from: Newenglander on December 08, 2022, 11:15:43 AM

I think you can safely say that *all* the NESCACs want a player to ED in exchange for coach support.  Most offers are made in July/August (after prereads) or at least they were 2 years ago when my son went through the process.

smoova

Quote from: Another Mom on December 08, 2022, 01:13:48 PM
I think you can safely say that *all* the NESCACs want a player to ED in exchange for coach support.  Most offers are made in July/August (after prereads) or at least they were 2 years ago when my son went through the process.

I've got a quick question regarding NESCAC coach support for soccer recruits, since I have a kiddo (keeper) about to enter the recruiting process.  My older son is playing lacrosse at Midd.  In a normal (non-COVID) year, the lacrosse coaches at the NESCACs he talked to (Midd, Williams, Wes, Bowdoin) had enough juice/support for 8-10 recruits depending on how they spread it around (e.g. 1-2 slots, 6-8 tips, etc).  Since soccer rosters are roughly half the size of lacrosse rosters, I was under the impression that NEXCAC soccer coaches are typically able to offer meaningful support to 4-5 recruits per year.  Is this accurate?  Thanks

Another Mom

It depends on the coach/program. When Bates had a new coach, he brought in something like 17 recruits. 4-5 is probably right. Precovid the Middlebury coach said he had 6 spots to offer. You (as you know) can ask the coach directly. Coach Elias also said he could offer 50 prereads.