D3boards.com history

Started by hopefan, March 14, 2020, 02:49:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: Pat Coleman on March 27, 2020, 05:53:51 PM
I had coffee with my kid at Saints Rest once. Does that count?

I'm sure Jeff P appreciated it, but I'm going with no.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

I remember The Roop, but nothing specific.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Pat Coleman

One of my favorite moments in D3boards history from the early era stems from the various ways in which we tried to moderate or ban posters. We didn't have most of the tools that we have now, so often people who were 'banned' would pretty easily find their way back onto the boards.

We had one poster in the CAC board who fit this description and came back a couple of times, including at least one iteration in which he created two handles in order to have a conversation with himself. We also had a poster in the MIAA board who was an issue -- I don't remember the details around why he was a problem.

In both instances, I made their handles a curse word, so even mentioning them on the board would end up looking like •••••••.

Fun fact: One of the posters I've referenced in this story is now a Division III head football coach.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Caz Bombers

Quote from: Pat Coleman on March 27, 2020, 07:03:10 PM
One of my favorite moments in D3boards history from the early era stems from the various ways in which we tried to moderate or ban posters. We didn't have most of the tools that we have now, so often people who were 'banned' would pretty easily find their way back onto the boards.

We had one poster in the CAC board who fit this description and came back a couple of times, including at least one iteration in which he created two handles in order to have a conversation with himself. We also had a poster in the MIAA board who was an issue -- I don't remember the details around why he was a problem.

In both instances, I made their handles a curse word, so even mentioning them on the board would end up looking like •••••••.

Fun fact: One of the posters I've referenced in this story is now a Division III head football coach.

didn't a WestConn fan once want to fight you at the 50 yard line in the Stagg Bowl, only they're WestConn so they never got within 3 rounds of the Stagg Bowl?

Pat Coleman

Yes, that was a thing. I think that was Rodman, and Rodman is now a high school football coach. Every once in a while, a former columnist of ours, Jim Stout, sends me an update on Rodman. :)

I have shown up at the Stagg every year since then and have yet to see a Western Conn fan.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: Pat Coleman on March 27, 2020, 07:03:10 PM

I remember the bi-polar CAC poster ... sadly that technique is still used by some. They don't realize how easy it is to spot. HAHA
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Ron Boerger

Reminds me of the time I got into a heated discussion with some anoynmous poster and things wgot pretty ugly ... until I looked up the profile; he didn't hide his email address (which contained  his name and employer) so I exposed his identity.  He tried to have Pat ban me, which went absolutely nowhere (thanks Pat!), and he disappeared from the boards with his tail tucked between his legs immediately thereafter.   

hopefan

Yep, Pat took care of a SLIAC poster who wrote some very unpleasant things...  it was a very good and justifiable decision...
The only thing not to be liked in Florida is no D3 hoops!!!

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: Ron Boerger on April 02, 2020, 10:04:11 AM
Reminds me of the time I got into a heated discussion with some anoynmous poster and things wgot pretty ugly ... until I looked up the profile; he didn't hide his email address (which contained  his name and employer) so I exposed his identity.  He tried to have Pat ban me, which went absolutely nowhere (thanks Pat!), and he disappeared from the boards with his tail tucked between his legs immediately thereafter.

I've had to check the email addresses for several people including one who I think thought he was being clever and in reality wasn't. Even though I know the email probably wouldn't give me a ton of info ... it gave me just enough to realize what they were speaking on wasn't all that extensive in terms of historic knowledge. LOL

Gray Fox

There was a guy on the SCIAC football board who has had three different handles, but not all at once.
He was promoting his son, who turned out to be a dud.

He started out by claiming his daughter was friends with a cheer leader who had heard how good he was.

He did similar things on a high school board and another board covering Western Carolina.
His son has finally graduated.
Fierce When Roused

Pat Coleman

ronk

What happened to the MAC Freedom board? There were many discussions among the Kings, Wilkes, and Scranton fans. Lack of interest since the Landmark began?

Pat Coleman

I suspect there's some of the Scranton-leaving part, but I'd tie it more to the end of Wilkes' dominance.

I don't actually remember a lot of King's fans participating, but I might remember wrong.

pg04

Quote from: hopefan on March 27, 2020, 09:10:29 AM
I was hoping we'd get a lot of memories of humorous writers or writings from the past here... unfortunately not yet.... another hopefan idea down the drain  ::) ::) ::)

I am posting a year later since I did enjoy reading this thread. Unfortunately  I forget about this board for years at a time these days, but I had a lot of fun on these boards as a Brockport student then alum. All fond memories. Even arguing with JT on the politics board. I started even earlier than this incarnation, because I actually got banned as a student.  :D. I really do love this board and am so thankful for Pat et al. For creating it.

WLCALUM83

From my first time on here, which started around March of 2006 on the old LMC hoops/NACC hoops boards I remember a Maranatha follower named libero, who had a very dry sense of humor.
"When you come to the fork in the road, take it."