D3 Playoffs

Started by Fatherof4, November 04, 2022, 03:01:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ralph Turner

The issue of a lighted field can be handled on a case by case basis.

hazzben

Quote from: Ralph Turner on November 21, 2022, 12:38:14 AM

I think it's also about the consistency of the experience/toll for travel across teams. If everyone has a noon local start, you get some staggering just due to time zones. But no team is being asked to finish a game 6 pm, talk to the media, shower, load up, eat, and drive home. That sounds like a small thing, but attrition, staying healthy, and the ability to treat players is a big part of continuing to advance. I think some of this is probably meant to ensure that there's an equal footing for all teams when it comes to travel details.

IC798891

Quote from: hazzben on November 21, 2022, 09:42:59 AM

I think it's also about the consistency of the experience/toll for travel across teams. If everyone has a noon local start, you get some staggering just due to time zones. But no team is being asked to finish a game 6 pm, talk to the media, shower, load up, eat, and drive home. That sounds like a small thing, but attrition, staying healthy, and the ability to treat players is a big part of continuing to advance. I think some of this is probably meant to ensure that there's an equal footing for all teams when it comes to travel details.

This is another good point

smedindy

I mean, for a while I was always surprised when a D-3 school HAD lights.

crufootball

I feel like this is a time when a one size solution is being used so that all things are equal but they are not equal at all. I know they didn't win but assuming Huntingdon had won, they would have flown to Texas on Friday, played and flown back on Saturday, just to fly back (during the Thanksgiving week) to Texas. Now that I type this I realize Linfield did this very thing in 2016 and close to the same thing last year. Now you might say flying is somewhat easier than getting on a bus, that may be true but then you have some that travel 50 miles and some that travel 499 miles, my point is these things aren't equal so we don't have to pretend they are.

smedindy

Quote from: crufootball on November 21, 2022, 04:43:21 PM

I feel like this is a time when a one size solution is being used so that all things are equal but they are not equal at all. I know they didn't win but assuming Huntingdon had won, they would have flown to Texas on Friday, played and flown back on Saturday, just to fly back (during the Thanksgiving week) to Texas. Now that I type this I realize Linfield did this very thing in 2016 and close to the same thing last year. Now you might say flying is somewhat easier than getting on a bus, that may be true but then you have some that travel 50 miles and some that travel 499 miles, my point is these things aren't equal so we don't have to pretend they are.

Travel's always a hardship in the playoffs.

Ralph Turner

Today's podcast talked about greatest upsets in the history of the 5-week playoff.

In 2004, Pool C UMHB goes to Trinity and wins 32-13.
They travel to HSU, which received the 1st round bye, ostensibly the #1 seed in that bracket, and beat the Cowboys 42-28.

UMHB went to W&J in the 3rd round and beat the Presidents 52-16.

Is that an equivalent of a #7 (bottom-most) seed upsetting 3 higher seeds?

FCGrizzliesGrad

Quote from: Ralph Turner on November 22, 2022, 12:47:34 AM
Today's podcast talked about greatest upsets in the history of the 5-week playoff.

They travel to HSU, which received the 1st round bye, ostensibly the #1 seed in that bracket, and beat the Cowboys 42-28.

Not necessarily a single upset, but the 2008 playoffs were wacky. The quarterfinals had #1 seed over a #3, #2 over a #5, #5 over a #7 and #7 over a #5. Those eight teams had a combined 9 losses entering the tournament with just one of them (Mount Union) being unbeaten.
Football picker extraordinaire
5 titles: CCIW, NJAC
4x: ODAC:S
3x: ASC, IIAC, MIAA:S, NACC:S, NCAC, OAC:P, Nat'l
2x: HCAC, MIAC, ODAC:P, WIAC
1x: Bracket, OAC:S

Basketball
2013 WIAC Pickem Co-champ
2015 Nat'l Pickem
2017: LEC and MIAA Pickem
2019: MIAA and WIAC Pickem

Soccer
2023: Mens Pickem

tigerguy

That's probably correct. But according to the 2004 Week 11 rankings, UMHB was ranked #8 in the county going into the playoffs. So, they beat Trinity 1st Round (Ranked #7); HSU 2nd Round (Ranked #3), and W&J (Ranked #5). So yes, those are all "upsets," but I wouldn't rank any of those games in the upper echelon of "upsets" considering UMHB's overall ranking. Frankly, sounds like a standard Texas/Island bracket in terms of matchups.

hazzben

Quote from: tigerguy on November 22, 2022, 09:32:04 AM

That's probably correct. But according to the 2004 Week 11 rankings, UMHB was ranked #8 in the county going into the playoffs. So, they beat Trinity 1st Round (Ranked #7); HSU 2nd Round (Ranked #3), and W&J (Ranked #5). So yes, those are all "upsets," but I wouldn't rank any of those games in the upper echelon of "upsets" considering UMHB's overall ranking. Frankly, sounds like a standard Texas/Island bracket in terms of matchups.

Yeah, very impressive run for sure. But not an upset of the magnitude that Aurora just pulled off, both for their program and their conference as a whole.

Pat Coleman

None of the teams that got first-round byes and lost in round 2 can really be considered for that big upset, no. That's no 8-seed they are playing.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

IC798891

Quote from: Pat Coleman on November 22, 2022, 02:43:35 PM
None of the teams that got first-round byes and lost in round 2 can really be considered for that big upset, no. That's no 8-seed they are playing.

An unranked Curry (1 point in the Top 25 poll) beating #12 Ithaca has to be high on the list.

OzJohnnie

Quote from: hazzben on November 22, 2022, 09:34:43 AM
Yeah, very impressive run for sure. But not an upset of the magnitude that Aurora just pulled off, both for their program and their conference as a whole.

I guess Aurora taking SJU to the wire two years in a row wasn't a freakshow after all.  I know there was a bit of scepticism on the boards when SJU posters were saying "These guys are freaking good."  Well, it was SJU types that were very quick to say to UWW "Beware the Aurora Dragons.  They have teeth."

I guess what I'm saying is it was an upset, yes, but not a surprise to many.  Aurora were going to get their big victory.  It was just a question of which team would supply it.
[  

bleedpurple

Quote from: OzJohnnie on November 22, 2022, 10:31:44 PM
Quote from: hazzben on November 22, 2022, 09:34:43 AM

I guess Aurora taking SJU to the wire two years in a row wasn't a freakshow after all.  I know there was a bit of scepticism on the boards when SJU posters were saying "These guys are freaking good."  Well, it was SJU types that were very quick to say to UWW "Beware the Aurora Dragons.  They have teeth."

I guess what I'm saying is it was an upset, yes, but not a surprise to many.  Aurora were going to get their big victory.  It was just a question of which team would supply it.

I agree with this.  One thing I can say for sure is UW-W didn't underestimate them.  First of all, saying that diminishes a well-earned victory.  Secondly, one of the fundamentals of our program is to respect every opponent. They earned it. They got us.

Ralph Turner

It is so hard to gauge the strength of D3 across the country. Everything to the east and northeast of Alliance OH gets funneled into that Purple Raider sausage maker. I only caught a portion of UMU-DVC but it looked like UMU had the game under control on the road to knock out the best team from 2.5 regions of the country. (RMC, Region 3 lost the DVC without their starting QB.)

Meanwhile, NCC demolished a nominal "power team" in Region 2. So much for everything east and northeast of Alliance OH.

Meanwhile, in the western half of the country, Wartburg "de-shoed" Cinderella and UMHB finally put away a strong Bethel team. I recall the UMHB HSU game where HSU went ahead early in the second quarter, and 3 minutes later, UMHB had struck devastating blows. Bethel goes ahead by 2 scores and 2:40 later BU is behind for the 1st time. UMHB turns the game, just like they did against HSU, and the Royals do not recover.

I will not disparage UMU. Their program is incredible. They rise to the occasion. However, aside from JCU have they met a comparable team? That is what makes the UMU-Wartburg game so intriguing. Did Wartburg claim Cinderella's shoes as booty? We will see.

As for NCC-UMHB, I will be cautious. NCC has been dominating. UMHB has come thru a bracket of doom after fending off HSU and HPU in conference and the gut check caused by the loss at UWW.