BB: LL: Liberty League

Started by John McGraw, March 11, 2007, 11:40:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John McGraw

Welcome to the Liberty League posting board.

John McGraw

RPI is off to an 8-0 start after their spring break trip to Florida. Great start for the Engineers (yes I know it's Red Hawks, but I like Engineers better), especially after losing All-American Michael Passante to graduation. So far for RPI...

RPI 9 Salve Regina 2, RPI 3 Salve Regina 2
RPI 9 Cornell College 3
RPI 16 SUNYIT 1
RPI 16 Husson 4
RPI 10 John Jay 3
RPI 3 St. John Fisher 2
RPI 13 Widener 3

It's the first time that RPI has gone undefeated under Karl Steffen on their spring break trip. This is Steffen's 23rd year as the head coach. No stats updated from the trip but it appears RPI's getting help from everyone. They now take a two-week break and don't play again until the end of the month.

Rochester swept a doubleheader today with wins over Daniel Webster, 19-3, and Curry College, 8-7. Their trip continues all week as they move on to the UAA championships in Sanford, FL.

Skidmore opened their spring trip today against Framingham State. No score to report from that game.

hitforthecycle

RPI played some perrenial powerhouse teams too!  Come on John, you know as well as I do that RPI plays CUPCAKES so they can get an easy regional bid.  I respect their program but I don't respect the fact that they load their schedule with virtually no prominent teams.  Simply calling a spade a spade!  That 8-0 is very soft and we'll see how good they are once playoff time comes.

John McGraw

I agree that RPI beat on some weak sisters, there's no doubting that. The win over St. John Fisher is still impressive in terms of a regional win.

And I think they're going to be a good team. Really the only huge loss is Passante. Maybe last year if their game against Ithaca doesn't go into the wee hours of the night and they play SLU on Friday night instead of Saturday morning, they move on to play ECSU. But, that was then.

I've got no problem with padding the schedule a little bit. The Liberty League conference season has four games in a weekend against each conference opponent. Then the conference tournament to determine the AQ. Given RPI's history and relatively decent record, they're always a threat for a Pool C bid if they don't win the conference.

SLU and Clarkson are nipping at their heels IMO. So, if they want to gain some confidence by pounding poor teams, that's OK. Their real schedule will start at the end of March when they go to play Montclair State and William Paterson in New Jersey. I just wish they still had the non-conference latitude to play Cortland and Ithaca during the season. I think they may have played IC last year but I honestly don't remember.

Besides, the baseball gods have a way of working these things out.

BoomerIL

I know this is the Liberty League page, I thought maybe a little U. of Rochester news might be appropriate.

The UAA Tournament started today with U. of Rochester losing a very well played game, 9-2 to Emory.  Yes, well played! 

Glushon started for Emory allowing no runs on 6 hits, 7 K's and no BB's through 7.  He is not over-powering, and located his pitches and changed speeds like he is known for.

Rochester's McEneaney started for Rochester giving up 4 runs on 7 hits through 6 innings.  A 2 run homer in the first by Bralver, and a solo shot in the 3rd by Molnar were McEneaney's only really problem at-bats gathering 6 K's, 2BB's and a HBP.  When the 7th started, Olsen stepped in only to be lifted in the 9th when he ran into trouble allowing 5 Emory runnners to score.  Chodak came in to finish the 9th.

Rochester - 0 errors.  Emory - 1 error.  The umpires made some questionable calls against both teams, but "that's baseball!"   
"You observe alot by watching"  -  Yogi Berra

John McGraw

Liberty League Score o'Rama

Sunday - Framingham State 3 Skidmore 1, Skidmore 10 Framingham State 3
Monday - Drew 9 Skidmore 8, Skidmore 8 Drew 6
Tuesday - Emory 9 Rochester 2 (UAA)
                Vassar 5 Ripon 4
Wednesday - Rochester 6 Brandeis 5 (UAA)

BoomerIL

UAA Tournament Update -

Tuesday - 3/13/07

Brandeis 9  Emory 4
Washington U. 15  Case 6

Wednesday - 3/14/07

Case 4  Rochester 1

BoomerIL

UAA Tournament Update -

Wednesday 3/14/07 -

Emory  6  -  Washington U.  4

Thursday 3/15/07 -

Brandeis  13  -  Case Western Reserve  2

Brandeis  4  -  Washington U.  3

Rochester  8  -  Emory  7

Friday 3/16/07 -

Washington U.  vs.  Case Western Reserve  -  11:00a.m.
Emory  vs.  Case  -  2:30p.m.
Rochester  vs.  Brandeis  -  6:00p.m.

Saturday 3/17/07 -

Emory  vs.  Washington U.  -  11:00a.m.
Rochester  vs.  Washington U.  -  2:30p.m.
Brandeis  vs.  Case  -  6:00p.m.

Some good baseball is being played here in Florida!!

BoomerIL

UAA Tournament Update -

Washington U.  10  -  Case  0

Emory  10  -  Case  4

Rochester  5  -  Brandeis  2

BoomerIL

UAA Tournament Update -

Emory 5  -  Washington U.

Washington U. 4  -  Rochester 1

Case 11  -  Brandeis 5

Glushon from Emory a very nice pitcher.  Mixed his pitches and speeds up nicely.  Not over-powering, but hit his spots.  Deservers his ranking.  Shields from Wash. U. is similar to Glushon, but more hitable.  Downside - BABY!!!!  Hit a triple the first time up, then flew-out, struckout, and after those last two at-bats, threw the bat into the ground.....threw the helmet into the ground and into the dugout....cussing.  Not to classy fro a senior who is also nationally ranked.

Rochester played very well with only six errors (two E2 interference) total the whole tournament.  They deserved the 3-3 result with some wins and losses going either way.  They played well, and from what the parents said about last years team, have definitely improved.  The pitching looks good with some young arms coming into the mix, and from what we hear, next year as well.

There are many experts that know more than me about the programs past history, and the RPI series along with single games against Cortland, Brockport, and Ithaca will give a better indication of where the team stands.

Until next time, good day!

BoomerIL

Yesterdays DH against Skidmore was cancelled obviously due to the rain.

Today Skidmore beat Rochester 5-2 in their 7 inning game.  Rochester then went on to win the second game, 9 inning game, 7-6 in 12 innings.

I don't have particulars for these two games, but the box scores will provide the information when available.

Rochester plays again, Tuesday - March 27th, against Brockport.  Please, if anyone is going to this game, I would appreciate some feedback during the game if someone doesn't mind.  I can be reached at 708-567-5526.  Thanks.

BoomerIL

John McGraw

An amazing Friday in Troy. From the RPI website...

TROY, N.Y. – St. Lawrence used an 11-run ninth inning for a come-from-behind, 16-9, win to earn a split with the Rensselaer  baseball team in a Liberty League doubleheader at Robison Field. The homestanding Red Hawks, the 13th-ranked team in the nation, won the first game, 2-1, on a bases loaded walk in the last inning.

The second game almost sounds like a rehash of the NCAA tournament game that the two played last year. The Larries though exploded in the middle of the game rather than at the end. St. Lawrence pulled the exact same feet against Clarkson in the Liberty League title game last year, scoring a boatload of runs in the bottom of the ninth inning.

http://www.wrpi.org to hear the remaining two games of the series this afternoon from Robison Field.

John McGraw

***Friday and Saturday Liberty League scores***

***Friday***
Southeastern 12 Union 9 (Florida)
Skidmore 6 Vassar 1
Skidmore 10 Vassar 6
RPI 2 St. Lawrence 1
St. Lawrence 16 RPI 9

***Saturday***
RPI 3 St. Lawrence 1
St. Lawrence 7 RPI 6
Rochester 4 Clarkson 3
Rochester 10 Clarkson 4

Notes: Larries and the Red Hawks split again in Troy. Looks like St. Lawrence wasn't just a one-year wonder. They had a pretty solid spring trip and have continued that up to New York. For RPI, their early season record was a little inflated, but they're still a very good team.

In game one, frosh John Dreimiller pitched a complete-game four hitter and Matt Muscatiello drove in two runs as RPI triumphed. Justin Bodnar went the distance for the Saints, struck out seven, but allowed three runs on five hits.

Game two was a little different. 13 combined runs, 25 hits and lots of offense. Luke "Cheese" Calzone, one of RPI's aces last year, got roughed up for seven runs on 11 hits; he struck out eight and walked five. The Larries used four pitchers. It was finally Ryan Duff that was able to quiet the RPI bats with 2.2 no-hit innings and five strikeouts. Matt Carrigg and Matt Yaworsky each drove in two runs for the Larries, Carrigg had three hits.

Clarkson, unlike their north country counterpart, is having a rough season. After a wonderful season in 2006, the Knights are crashing and burning. They're now 0-11 after being swept by UR. Their Florida schedule was pretty tough and included Carthage, UW-Stevens Pointer, Wooster and Messiah.

UR took game one on a walk-off single by Devin Shane. Shane drove in two of four UR runs and accounted for two of UR's five hits. Rochester scored the game's final four runs.

Rochester led game two, 8-0, before Clarkson got on the scoreboard. Rich Bittner, Clarkson's starter, allowed 10 runs (four earned) on 10 hits and CU made five errors. Pete McEneaney was knocked around a little, but took the victory. He gave up three runs on seven hits in five innings pitched. UR's Dan Brien and Ed Kahovec combined for five hits and five RBI.

UR and Clarkson play on Sunday at 10:00 am to try and avoid the rain.

John McGraw

Sunday scores...

Rochester vs. Clarkson PPD RAIN

Skidmore 1 Vassar 0
Skidmore 5 Vassar 4 (11)

Liberty League Standings
Skidmore 5-1; Rochester 3-1; St. Lawrence 5-3; RPI 2-2; Union 1-3; Clarkson 0-2; Vassar 0-4

BoomerIL

John.....

On the SUNYAC page, you mentioned that with all of this goofy weather, teams scramble to get their conference games played by the end of the season.

Does it matter if they are running out of time and may have to travel across the state to get these games in?  Is this just tough-luck?