FB: Northwest Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:18:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MRMIKESMITH

Quote from: Bearcat Press on September 23, 2019, 05:56:25 PM
Quote from: catjumper on September 21, 2019, 06:27:16 PM
And Bearcats.

What a weird, weird game that was.  Although I suppose that some weirdness is bound to happen when you haven't won a home game since October of 2015.

The fumble return for a touchdown should have been called back.  It looked like a fumble from where I was sitting, but unless we're playing by NFL rules, the play should have been blown dead when the ball was picked up by a Willamette player who was lying on the ground.  On the other hand, you play to the whistle, and the whistle never blew.

That said, I've never seen a team as undisciplined as Oxy was--three ejections (one for targeting, two for picking up two unsportsmanlike conduct penalties each) and 16 penalties for 177 yards.  In all honesty, it cost them the game.  On Willamette's game-winning drive, once the Bearcats got to the Tigers' 20, every first down came via penalty.  Then Oxy picked up two more unsportsmanlike conduct penalties on the PAT, so Willamette kicked off from the Tigers' 35. I can honestly say that I've never seen that before.

Watching Jordan Jenkins, a First Team All-NWC basketball player, line up at wide receiver is really fun.  Six of his ten receptions this year have been touchdowns.  Physically, at least, he's the best wideout Willamette has had since Schoettgen.  After taking a nasty helmet-to-helmet hit in the third quarter (the targeting ejection), it was great to see him walking on the sidelines with no visible concussion symptoms.

The Bearcats are better this year--there's no question about that.  One busted coverage aside, the defense looked miles better than it did against La Verne, and the offense is moving the ball pretty well.  Whether that translates into an NWC win or two is a different question entirely, but I do think the games against L&C and UPS are going to be competitive.

Either way, congrats to Coach Parker on his first win.  It's going to take a lot to get the ship turned around, but this definitely felt like a step in the right direction.

Need to look at the Salisbury vs. Ithaca ECAC Bowl at the University of Delaware a few year's back...then you would have seen it all.

https://twitter.com/RedditCFB/status/932266151291310080

D O.C.

Thank-you MANDGSU.
I'd missed that somehow.
All my football life apparently.

Bearcat Press

Quote from: MANDGSU on September 26, 2019, 04:55:52 PM

Need to look at the Salisbury vs. Ithaca ECAC Bowl at the University of Delaware a few year's back...then you would have seen it all.

https://twitter.com/RedditCFB/status/932266151291310080

:o
"It's a slippery slope from the penthouse to the outhouse." - Mark Speckman

MUC57

Does Linfield play this week? I know some teams have played 4 games, most have played at least 3, Linfield has played 2.
Just curious!  ???
I'm old! I get mixed up and I forget things! Go Everybody! 🏈 ☠

57Johnnie

Quote from: MUC57 on October 01, 2019, 09:37:04 AM

Does Linfield play this week? I know some teams have played 4 games, most have played at least 3, Linfield has played 2.
Just curious!  ???
I think they play the Boxers on Saturday.  :)
The older the violin - the sweeter the music!

MUC57

Quote from: 57Johnnie on October 01, 2019, 09:54:55 AM

Just curious!  ???

And the Boxers are who?  ???

MUC57

I was kind of alluding to the fact that Linfield, and the NWC, play 1 less game than everyone else.
Oh well!  ;)  :P  :D

bluenote

.... some teams in our conference play 10 games. Linfield doesn't because of finances I assume. We also have another weird schedule ... yes we've only played 2 games when most have played 4 and we don't have a home game until mid October.  :P

MacQuiz

Quote from: MUC57 on October 01, 2019, 10:02:41 AM
Quote from: 57Johnnie on October 01, 2019, 09:54:55 AM

Just curious!  ???

And the Boxers are who?  ???

Pacific University "Boxers"
"THE METTLE'S IN THE MEN!"

57Johnnie

Quote from: MUC57 on October 01, 2019, 10:22:45 AM

I was kind of alluding to the fact that Linfield, and the NWC, play 1 less game than everyone else.
Oh well!  ;)  :P  :D
Oh Oh!  I'm old too! :)
I can't remember who the Boxers are.
The older the violin - the sweeter the music!

MUC57

Quote from: Bluenote on October 01, 2019, 10:48:03 AM
.... some teams in our conference play 10 games. Linfield doesn't because of finances I assume. We also have another weird schedule ... yes we've only played 2 games when most have played 4 and we don't have a home game until mid October.  :P

Thanks, Bluenote. Nice to hear from you. I see from your picture you aren't any better looking. But, keep the faith, big guy! Maybe your sterling personality will compensate for any physical shortcomings.
In closing, I leave you with this - Go Cats! Go Catdome. Go NWC!. Even, Go McMinnville!  ::)  ;D

MUC57

MacQuiz

Thanks for the info. I live in Ohio. What do I know about schools way out there.  Go Everybody!  ;D

D O.C.

You can have at that one, MUC57.

I'm getting in line for his book signing.

bluenote

Linfield needs to recruit some gang members from the midwest on the O and D lines... guys that aren't that big but are mean and strong and can push bigger lineman out of the way using leverage....I haven't seen anyone that is mean and solid since Joe Dominey....

OzJohnnie

Quote from: Bluenote on October 02, 2019, 02:01:23 AM
Linfield needs to recruit some gang members from the midwest on the O and D lines... guys that aren't that big but are mean and strong and can push bigger lineman out of the way using leverage....I haven't seen anyone that is mean and solid since Joe Dominey....

Wisconsin's secret to big linemen.

[