MBB: Great Northeast Athletic Conference

Started by Hoops Fan, December 17, 2004, 12:05:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Falcons 25

BACK FROM THE DEAD! AMC still has a chance to win the GNAC Title! They need to win 3 more games, starting with Lasell on Saturday in Boston.
Last night , AMC played their best game of the season by beating St. Joes-CT., 88-84.
STARS OF THE GAME go to : Liam Perryman- 12 pts, 7 rebounds & 4 blocked shots. Way to go, big guy!
                                          Damien Grant- 15 pts.& 11 rebounds- nice game & nice turn-around this year!!!
J. Green-Younger- solid w/19 pts.

The Falcons won with a concerted defensive effort for a full 40 minutes!!! GREAT JOB, TEAM.
NO LET DOWN ON SATURDAY vs Lasell!!!!!

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

D3HoopJunkie

Been away from the boards for a while but I've been following the Falcons like I always have all season long. I feel like Albertus fans have become spoiled in some ways. I have talked to multiple people throughout the season and you would think we are a bottom dweller in the league! Our sustained success over the last decade has spoiled a lot of people...like our current 14-7 (6-2) record is a bad thing. This year's team is extremely talented and as Falcons25 mentioned we are 3 straight wins away from perhaps winning the regular season GNAC title and securing the #1 seed and home court advantage for the GNAC tourney.

This team is so young our only senior is starting PG Ryan Pittman. I truly believe that this year's freshman class is the best group of true freshman that Coach Oliver has ever assembled. Our biggest issue this season has been performing at our best on the road which is something that all young teams struggle with. The schedule has been strong this season and while we have missed out on a few potential quality wins, I think that these losses have made us much stronger as a team. I was concerned about having to play on the road in the GNAC tournament but if we can win our final 3 games (at LaSell, vs JWU and vs Suffolk) we wont have to worry about that and our chances of going on a run in the GNAC tourney greatly improve.

Last nights game against the Jim Calhoun led St Joes Blue Jays was the best overall game and defensive effort that we have put together all season long. If Coach Oliver can get this team to buy in night in and night out on the defensive side of the ball like that, we should be able to really do some damage at the end of the season here.

Here's to a strong finish to the regular season Falcons. Secure home court in New Haven and you stand just as good a chance as any Falcons team before you who has punched their own ticket to the big dance!!

Saint-Paul

Saints have three difficult games left, at Colby-Sawyer, home against Anna Maria and JWU.  Two out of three wins would be great.  Can't believe I am even saying this but " Playoffs, we are talking about Playoffs."  The GNAC tournament is wide open, with several teams in the mix.  Emmanuel, Albertus, St Joe Me, St Joe Conn, Suffolk, Colby-Sawyer, JWU all able to get hot and upset each other.  Should be a fun tournament.  Will need multiple screens to watch all the games.  Is it too early to start talking about Danny Lawson as GNAC COY ?  Taking the same roster that lost 22 games last year and having them in position to possibly win the GNAC is just an amazing turnaround. 

D3HoopJunkie

Saint,

Lawson is without question the GNAC Coach of the Year. As far as I am concerned he solidified that honor weeks ago!

And if Calhoun gets it or somehow gets any votes at all it will be the biggest scham of all. His team hasnt exactly performed well consistently and I think you have to actually Coach in order to qualify so by my estimation, Glen Miller should be the one who gets the votes for St Joes CT.

Luckily COY is voted on by fellow coaching peers so I am more than certain and confident that Lawson will recieve the nod.

Falcons 25

Well People...The GNAC Title is going down to the last week of the season. Four teams have a shot at the Title!
(Emmanuel, Suffolk, AMC, Johnson & Wales)
Suffolk is in 1st place, but needs to win 3 games, including A.M.C. this Saturday @ THE NEST!
Emmanuel, I believe, has the best chance. They play 2 home games, including playing Johnson & Wales Saturday!
AMC needs to beat Johnson & Wales and Suffolk- both games @ THE NEST
Johnson & Wales needs to win 2 road games, including vs Emmanual
WOW! We have not seen parity ,on this scale, in the GNAC  forever!
FALCON FANS PACK THE NEST TUESDAY VS J. & W. & Saturday vs Suffolk

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Falcons 25

Well, we are down to THREE teams that can win 1st place in the GNAC!
1. If Emmanuel beats Johnson & Wales & Suffolk loses to AMC, they win!
2. If AMC beats Suffolk & Emmanuel loses to J & W, AMC wins!
3. If Suffolk beats AMC, THEY WIN!

Great game last night between AMC & Johnson & Wales! Falcons win a tight one, 88-84.
Kudos to Rayshawn Brewer for sinking 2 free throws at the end to preserve the game.
PLAY OF THE GAME: A HUGE BLOCKED SHOT by ANDREW RICE as J & W was about to tie
late in the game!
TYREEK PERKINS- STAR of THE GAME W/20 pts. as he battled cramps & fatigue!
DEVON WARNER- 17 pts. & YEOMANS WORK on defense!!!

GO FALCONS ON SATURDAY @ 3pm at THE NEST!

Saint-Paul

Saints could not pull the rabbit out of the hat today.  After two big wins this week over colby-sawyer and anna maria, Saints have a cold shooting day and drop a close game to JWU 75 - 71.  Very costly loss for the Saints, after the first round they will lose home court advantage.  Hope they can get their magic touch back for the playoffs.
     I was very impressed with JWU today.  In past years JWU has been mostly a one on one team, each player trying to break down their man and get to the rim.  JWU played a very different game today.  The wildcats spread out the Saints on defense, moved the ball exceptionally well and knocked down one open jumper after another.  Saints could not get enough stops to pull off the upset.  JWU looked very good today, shooting the ball with confidence.  I still think the playoffs are wide open with five or six teams capable of winning the league championship. 

Falcons 25

Saint, what a regular season finish! The playoffs are totally wide open & should be great.

Falcon fans, what a ride to another regular season championship! This team has come together since the St.Joes-West Hartford game.
The keys today & in this run are GOOD TEAM DEFENSE, MULTI-PRONGED OFFENSE & most of all being ACCOUNTABLE to EACH OTHER!
LASELL vs AMC @ THE NEST Tuesday @ 8PM. (PLEASE SHOW UP AS There WERE MORE SUFFOLK FANS THAN AMC FANS TODAY!)

D3HoopJunkie

Falcons take care of business in an absolute laugher last night at The Nest. Albertus was simply to strong, to big and to fast for this Lasell team to handle. Defensivley this team is on a completely different level then alot of Albertus teams we have seen in the past. Sure we've had great individual defenders Over the years but as a team, I think this is the strongest defensive unit Oliver has assembled. When they all buy in and come out like they have over the past 4 games, they are really strong.

This team is firing on all cylinders at this point and really seem to be clicking and meshing at the right time. Thursday semi final contest aginst Emmanuel will be a great contest. The Saints got the better of us on the road in Boston earlier this season but as we all know, the Falcons are a completley different team at home and we're playing way better now than we did at that point in the season.

JWU gets upset in the first round (I'll dry my eyes later for them 😃) as well as #2 seed Suffolk in their contest against Jim Calhoun lead St Joes CT Team. A wild night in the GNAC to say the least. All 4 team standings are capable of winning this tournament but again with homecourt advantage the Falcons have to be the odds on favorites!

Saint-Paul

Saints played their first home playoff game in 10 years last night and responded with a very hard fought 90 - 83 victory over a tough Colby-Sawyer team.  CS jumped on the Saints right out of the opening tap, 13 - 3, before the Saints used a quick time out to regroup and claw their way back to a 40 - 40 tie at halftime.  The second half was back and forth, neither team able to pull away until the Saints made a mini 6 point run with 3 minutes left in the game. Saints foul shooting in the last two minutes saved the game for the miracle Saints and kept their playoff run alive.
     Albertus is a bigger, quicker, more athletic team than the Saints and they are playing at home.  It will be a difficult task for the hustling Saints but they have won games like this before.  The defensive minded Albertus players will be trying to deny wing passes, so I hope the Saints respond with a lot of back cuts and back door lay ups.  It is vital that the Saints control game tempo, they don't want to see a lot of Albertus run outs.  Making shots will help that a lot, but easier said than done. Passing will be another key, short quick, passes, not a lot of holding and dribbling.  Should be a fun game to watch.

Jameswys

Watching this conference from afar (let's be honest, watching Coach Calhoun) I wasn't at all surprised by St. Joe CT getting an upset. They saw the same team within a week and Calhoun has always been an excellent tournament coach. I'm not sure they can win it but I would be surprised in the slightest. 50 years of D1 coaching on the sidelines makes a bit of a difference.
Olivet '05