MBB: State University of New York Athletic Conference

Started by bamm, March 12, 2005, 09:24:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pat Coleman

Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

WNYHoops

Well Pat, if indeed Betts is transferring to Brockport and is eligible to play this year, they will be one of the top 10 teams in the country. Coming off an Elite 8 showing and returning most of their players ... PLUS adding Betts could put them over the top. He was getting minutes last year at UB and playing well. I felt he was the top player coming out of Rochester two years ago, and he should have 3 years of eligibility left. His size and athleticism would seem to be a good fit for their style. If his mind is right, I would think he should have his way with most SUNYAC 3-men. So mark it down right now, Brockport (with Betts on the roster) is the favorite for the top ranking in the East Region. I know the season has not even started and a lot can happen between now and Oct. 15th, but you should get out to see this team play next year. They should have high expectations at "the port."

Pat Coleman

I think the only question with Brockport would be what they do in the first semester with Sherod Harris out.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

bports

wny  That is exactly what i heard i just didnt want to come out and say it. I never believe these things until i see it happen. I heard this a month or so ago and i also heard the guard coming in is on a level with  sherod harris. Time will tell but im not to worried about harris only playing 2nd semester, after all that is the semester that counts and his brother sean and wylkes will hold down the fort. Lets not forget about poles either that kid is very good.

bports

Sean harris was playing the whole post season last year with a very bad sprained ankle. It was so bad i dont think he even played in a few games in the sunyac tourney, or if he did it was only for a couple minutes. There is no doubt that sherod is there best player but the still have a very strong backcourt without him.

Pat Coleman

Heh -- both semesters count, bports. If Brockport struggles badly in the first semester and drops a bunch of games it will affect where they play in the NCAA Tournament, if they qualify.

WNYHoops

Obviously missing Sharod the first semester will hurt Bport, but traditionally the games in the first semester will be non-league, with a tournament here or there (I think they actually host a tip-off). Probably around 10 games before Christmas that I don't think would be too grueling. Adding Betts plus their overall depth should not affect them too much with the Harris loss. He will be back for the bulk of their schedule and the tournament. Pat, I don't think making the NCAA's will be an issue with them (Unless they completely implode internally), but an early loss or two could effect their placement. Would they have felt better last year playing Wooster at Tuttle??

This team is loaded and clearly the favorite in the SUNYAC and the always-competitive Chase Tournament before that. I would be surprised if they are not one of the top seeds in the country come March.

slickyquick

Regardless of Brockport adding any transfers, they should be preseason top 10 and maybe top 5. They could be scary good. And by the way, Shawn Harris actually had a broken bone in his leg. The bone was a non-weight bearing bone but it hurt everytime he jumped, which is much of his game. He played the last month or so of the season with it. Scary to think what he and Brockport could've done with him 100%.

As far as Brockport's schedule next year, they will not have 3 of 5 starters for the first semester. Sherod Harris, Dave Maldanaldo, and Cantrell Parrish will be out. They'll only be out for 4 games unless Brockport picks up another game 1st semester.

All of us D3 fans lost out on another Fisher-Brockport game because Kornaker backed out on a game at Tuttle North for the second time in three years. I always enjoyed watching these two quality programs battle it out. It's too bad Kornaker doesn't want play a quality non-conference game. Inside sources say that defending National Champions Amherst could come to Brockport in late February to replace the Fisher game. It has yet to be confirmed but there is a possibility.

hopefan

Why will the three players mentioned, Harris, Maldanado, and Parrish, be out the first semester?
The only thing not to be liked in Florida is no D3 hoops!!!

Pat Coleman

Harris has only one semester of eligibility left. Can't speak to the others.

slickyquick

They will all be out because of various reasons, I'm not at liberty to say because I think some of the reasons are private matters. With a small game load during the first semester, those 3 players not being there will make a difference but not a huge one because of Brockport's depth. They will be playing in Lebanon Valley's tournament and then two league games.

As far as the transfers go, Calvin Betts will not being going to Brockport next season. Consider that rumor dead because there has been zero contact and Betts has not asked for his release from UB. Also, right now there will no other known transfers are headed to Brockport.

Though, as I made mention of last season, watch out for a transfer after semester break. This could be the East region's chance at making some noise nationally.  I have no names or any ideas of who he would bring in but don't be surprised if something happens.

Cards7580

"...Sean harris was playing the whole post season last year with a very bad sprained ankle. It was so bad i dont think he even played in a few games in the sunyac tourney, or if he did it was only for a couple minutes. There is no doubt that sherod is there best player but the still have a very strong backcourt without him...."

He looked really healthy in the LOSS to Plattsburgh in the finals at Brockport and in the game against Bport's first round opponents in the NCAA's at STF.    I believe he made the All SUNYAC tourney team also.
Looking at the teams box scores for the SUNYAC tourney he played his normal 23 plus minutes for the whole tournament (or more)    31 points in 28 minutes vs P'burgh.

The Favorite and #1 ranked TEAM in the SUNYAC league is the two timed defending conference champions the Plattsburgh State Cardinals.   The automatic bid goes through the North Country based  on conference play and head to head results for the past two seasons.    Anthony Wiliams was/is the best guard in the conference. 

bports

Lets see there cards there is sean harris and there is sherrod harris, you might want to go back to that box score and check your facts.

slickyquick

As Cards would say, Anthony Williams is the best guard in the SUNYAC. Well, I'm sure many that have seen him play agree that he is one of the best if not the best guard in the league. Here is my opinion.

Williams is a very solid player. He is one of those guys that just puts up numbers. I would imagine after playing against him other SUNYAC coaches look at the box and say, "Wow, I didn't think he had 24 points, 7 boards, and 6 assists." He does everything quietly and bam. It's similar to dying a slow death.

Sherod Harris is THE most exciting guard in the SUNYAC. He is an eye catcher. Everything he does surprises you. Unlike Williams opposing coaches probably say, "Didn't he have like 30 points?" Yet, he only had 18 but made big play after big play and totally changed the tempo of the game.

Now, I'm not saying that either is better, they their battle during the SUNYAC season should be interesting. As I said last year, Plattsburgh will very good. It will be a two horse race, lead by the two best guards in the SUNYAC.

slickyquick

Any word on the opening at New Paltz? I would assume that some assistants from Williams and Fisher would apply for that. Has anyone heard anything?