BB: CCIW: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by RedmenFB44, January 05, 2006, 12:14:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D3Vike11

Quote from: BigPoppa on January 25, 2013, 08:27:40 AM
Quote from: Gregory Sager on January 24, 2013, 05:52:39 PM
You certainly can't accuse Luke Johnson of ducking anybody this year. The teams on NPU's non-conference docket this coming season include:

@ #6 Birmingham Southern
@ ORV Washington (MO)
@ #10 Webster
@ ORV LaVerne (2x)
vs. #17 UW-LaCrosse (@ Tucson, AZ)
#24 Aurora
ORV St. John's
ORV Chicago

Nine of NPU's sixteen non-conference games will be against teams that received votes in the d3baseball.com preseason poll.

They should finish with a solid SoS this year.
I'm glad that North Park's SOS this year will be higher. That has always been an "issue" with North Park in the past.
"90% of the game is half mental." - Yogi Berra

BigPoppa

Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

thunder38

Pardon me as I'm a little late to the party as far as the conversation regarding the success/lack of success of the Driggers era but there's a couple of things that have been overlooked and I apologize if this turns into a diatribe. 

- Some of the lack of progress in the facilities in Driggers time at Wheaton is the result of the track record of the program. Because the program has been at the bottom of the food chain for so long, progress was not a priority to administration and thus Driggers likely found himself slamming into a wall whenever he wanted progress. One would guess that if it came down to the football or soccer programs, this process would have been much more streamlined.

- IMO, Wheaton's underachievement on the field the past three years can be chalked up to culture.  Bobby Elder was a very hands-on micromanager of sorts that was incredibly detailed and because of his background preached heavily on the mental side of the game, leadership and accountability.  His practices were scheduled down to the minute and challenged players to respond physically and mentally and as a result the 2007-08 Wheaton team was a team that got the most out of the talent they had and with the exception of a total buttkicking at the hands of Augustana, was never really out of a game despite being outclassed in the talent category in a lot of circumstances. Also evidenced by the fact that Brian Kolb had his best career year as a sophomore, hitting a ridiculous .527. Elder's approach was to constantly have players in motion and putting pressure on the defense, which played to the strengths of a Wheaton team that had a fair amount of speed (four guys with 10+ SB). Another part of that team's success was that a majority of that team had experienced a lot of losing and knew that winning was not something that would be given to them.

In contrast, Driggers was a very hands-off coach that let the players play and was more about reactionary baseball rather than being the aggressor. The incoming recruiting class in Driggers' first year was a talented class that put a lot of young guys on the field. With the leadership in place still a product of the Elder era, the lapses were minimal the first year as Wheaton made the championship game of the CCIW tournament. With so many young guys playing a role and experiencing the success, the culture started to turn to one of entitlement and that winning was a given and talk began to become more prevalent than walk. As that continued, Wheaton had more individual talent than a lot of teams in the conference but consistently missed the tournament because of a lack of focus and a lack of the ability to do the little things. An inability to take personal responsibility turned into a riff between players and the coaching staff and it eventually came to a head last year when Wheaton led the league in slugging and was second in ERA but still missed the conference tournament. Last year's team was probably the most individual talent that a Wheaton baseball team has ever put on the field but they didn't have the leadership to know how to win.

- Wheaton has also had very little in the pitching department over the past few years. Wheaton has had some decent starters but the bullpen continues to be a problem and has undoubtedly been the weak link for the Thunder the last few years.

Hopefully the additude is something Matt Husted can address or Wheaton will continue to talk like a conference contender but produce like a pretender.
You win some, you lose some, and sometimes it rains.

Gregory Sager

The coaches have made their preseason picks:

1. Illinois Wesleyan 47 (5)
2. North Park 40 (2)
3. Carthage 31
4. North Central 30 (1)
5. Augustana 28
6. Wheaton 23
7. Elmhurst 18
8. Millikin 7
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

BigPoppa

Quote from: Gregory Sager on February 13, 2013, 06:20:38 PM

2. North Park 40 (2)
3. Carthage 31
4. North Central 30 (1)
5. Augustana 28
6. Wheaton 23
7. Elmhurst 18
8. Millikin 7

This similar to my own take on the CCIW. It seems that most agree that Carthage's stumble last year was an anomoly, and not a trend. This is going to be a battle between NPU's arms and IWU's bats... a classic question of which is better. Still, with the CCIW being so strong every year, just being in the top four gives you a chance to make a deep post-season run.
Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

D3Vike11

Quote from: BigPoppa on February 14, 2013, 11:43:39 AM
Quote from: Gregory Sager on February 13, 2013, 06:20:38 PM

2. North Park 40 (2)
3. Carthage 31
4. North Central 30 (1)
5. Augustana 28
6. Wheaton 23
7. Elmhurst 18
8. Millikin 7

This similar to my own take on the CCIW. It seems that most agree that Carthage's stumble last year was an anomoly, and not a trend. This is going to be a battle between NPU's arms and IWU's bats... a classic question of which is better. Still, with the CCIW being so strong every year, just being in the top four gives you a chance to make a deep post-season run.

I think it is North Park's conference to defend, but I wouldn't sleep on Wheaton either.

Gregory Sager

Chris Bobo, who was Wesleyan's ERA leader last season as a freshman, has transferred to Harper College.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: Gregory Sager on February 15, 2013, 05:30:17 PM
Chris Bobo, who was Wesleyan's ERA leader last season as a freshman, has transferred to Harper College.

I hadn't seen that before - thanks for ruining my day! :(

If we merged IWU's bats with NPU's arms, would we have an Appleton favorite? ;)

Gregory Sager

I'll be interviewing NPU head baseball coach Luke Johnson at halftime of tonight's Carthage @ North Park men's basketball game. Webcast link is here.

Chantastic

Is that interview archived anywhere on the NPU website?

Either way, I'd be curious of your impression on Johnson's take on the strength of his team going into a very rough non-con schedule.

Gregory Sager

Quote from: Chantastic on February 20, 2013, 09:55:33 AM

We've been having some trouble with the archiving of basketball games thus far, so last night's interview is not yet available. I'm going to stay on top of NPU's marketing department to see that that gets done.

Quote from: Chantastic on February 20, 2013, 09:55:33 AMEither way, I'd be curious of your impression on Johnson's take on the strength of his team going into a very rough non-con schedule.

He's very upbeat on his newcomers. He actually talked about them more than he talked about the returnees, although I suspect that this might have as much to do with his familiarity with the returnees, and with what he might've believed was the viewership's familiarity with them, as anything else. (We did discuss Nick Soldano at length and the expectations with which he'll have to deal, scouts with radar guns included, and we also touched upon projected starters Alex Silverthorne and Wes Mleziva as well as the Coduto/Sousanes keystone combo, the health of Jeff Paulson, and the emergence in last season's CCIW tourney of Joe Belmonte as a middle-of-the-lineup bat.)

The newbies whom Luke talked about at length included:

* Junior RHP Nick Vidas from Taft, via Oakton CC. Luke called him "a battler" and compared him to Pete Sparacino. I know that Luke doesn't make Pete Sparacino comparisons lightly, nor should he. All I needed to hear was that comparison to have a good idea as to Vidas' makeup ... and to feel good about what he can contribute to NPU. (As you can tell, I have a very high opinion of Pete Sparacino both in terms of his skill and his internal makeup.)

* Freshman 3B/RHP Jason Meger from Niles West. Luke's very excited about this kid. It sounds as though he's going to step into a big role right away. He's a possibility as the successor to Ryan Javech as the starting 3B, and it sounds as though he's also going to see some mound time at the varsity level in spite of NPU already having a pretty crowded and experienced staff.

* Senior IF/OF Rick DeVito from Crest Hill, via LSU-Alexandria. He's a versatile speed-and-glove guy whom Luke likened to Trevor Popp. Again, a comparison that I don't think he made lightly and one that tells me a good deal about what he's expecting from DeVito. Sounds like he and Meger are the two guys duking it out for the starting 3B slot.

* Junior 1B/OF Dan Anderson and sophomore C/1B/DH Nick Burger, both juco players from Minnesota. They sound like pretty accomplished hitters who should be able to immediately contribute.

* RHP Josiah Carlson from Glenview South.

* Sophomore RHP Kenny Blanchard from Niles West, via Knox.

The NPU season prospectus was just put online this afternoon. There's a lot more detail in it than in what I've shared here, of course. Luke and I really only had a chance to skim the surface in terms of talking about the roster during our 17-minute interview.

CCIWFAN6

Very interesting the way Coach Johnson is getting a large number of transfers.  Getting guys with collegiate experience will definitely help North Park get immediate production from their newcomers.

Is Coach Johnson targeting these players or are they seeking out North Park?

Gotberg

Quote from: Gregory Sager on February 20, 2013, 06:31:56 PM

We've been having some trouble with the archiving of basketball games thus far, so last night's interview is not yet available. I'm going to stay on top of NPU's marketing department to see that that gets done.

Quote from: Chantastic on February 20, 2013, 09:55:33 AMEither way, I'd be curious of your impression on Johnson's take on the strength of his team going into a very rough non-con schedule.

He's very upbeat on his newcomers. He actually talked about them more than he talked about the returnees, although I suspect that this might have as much to do with his familiarity with the returnees, and with what he might've believed was the viewership's familiarity with them, as anything else. (We did discuss Nick Soldano at length and the expectations with which he'll have to deal, scouts with radar guns included, and we also touched upon projected starters Alex Silverthorne and Wes Mleziva as well as the Coduto/Sousanes keystone combo, the health of Jeff Paulson, and the emergence in last season's CCIW tourney of Joe Belmonte as a middle-of-the-lineup bat.)

* Junior RHP Nick Vidas from Taft, via Oakton CC. Luke called him "a battler" and compared him to Pete Sparacino. I know that Luke doesn't make Pete Sparacino comparisons lightly, nor should he. All I needed to hear was that comparison to have a good idea as to Vidas' makeup ... and to feel good about what he can contribute to NPU. (As you can tell, I have a very high opinion of Pete Sparacino both in terms of his skill and his internal makeup.)

* Freshman 3B/RHP Jason Meger from Niles West. Luke's very excited about this kid. It sounds as though he's going to step into a big role right away. He's a possibility as the successor to Ryan Javech as the starting 3B, and it sounds as though he's also going to see some mound time at the varsity level in spite of NPU already having a pretty crowded and experienced staff.

* Senior IF/OF Rick DeVito from Crest Hill, via LSU-Alexandria. He's a versatile speed-and-glove guy whom Luke likened to Trevor Popp. Again, a comparison that I don't think he made lightly and one that tells me a good deal about what he's expecting from DeVito. Sounds like he and Meger are the two guys duking it out for the starting 3B slot.

* Junior 1B/OF Dan Anderson and sophomore C/1B/DH Nick Burger, both juco players from Minnesota. They sound like pretty accomplished hitters who should be able to immediately contribute.

The NPU season prospectus was just put online this afternoon. There's a lot more detail in it than in what I've shared here, of course. Luke and I really only had a chance to skim the surface in terms of talking about the roster during our 17-minute interview.

That is the best season preview I have ever read from North Park.
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered. - George Best

D3Vike11

Quote from: CCIWFAN6 on February 21, 2013, 09:22:08 AM
Very interesting the way Coach Johnson is getting a large number of transfers.  Getting guys with collegiate experience will definitely help North Park get immediate production from their newcomers.

Is Coach Johnson targeting these players or are they seeking out North Park?

It is a combination of both, but give credit to Luke Johnson. He is one of the top recruiters and really does a heck of a job bringing in talent. Ask any incoming baseball player why they chose North Park, and he will tell you because of Luke Johnson. Over the past few years he's brought in Division I transfers who have made an immediate impact on the team. For example: Mike Giovenco (UIC), Pete Sparacino (UIC), tony Sanchez (Chicago state), deven melecio (UIC), Mike Domenick (ISU).

It will be interesting to see how well the transfer from NIU does, as he is projected to contribute right away.

blue_jays

Quote from: Gregory Sager on February 20, 2013, 06:31:56 PM

So in terms of the Trevor Popp comparison, does that mean he'll be mouthy with opponents and try to start fights like Trevor did?