2021 Playoffs

Started by Ralph Turner, May 24, 2021, 04:55:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ralph Turner

I clicked onto the Adrian UWW game and saw the Bulldogs leading 1-0, with UWW batting in the bottom of the 8th. I stepped away for a few minutes and came back to see UWW had gone ahead 2-1 with Adrian batting in the top of the 9th. I thought, you do not let UWW off the hook that way.
I was jubilant to see that the Bulldogs scored 2 in the top of the 9th and held off UWW to win 3-2.

cubs

Looks like blowing the "save" late didn't carry over into the next game, as Whitewater has chased the the Texas Lutheran starter early and hold a 7-0 lead in the 5th inning...  Texas Lutheran was actually on their third arm of the game in just the 4th inning.
2008-09 and 2012-13 WIAC Fantasy League Champion

2008-09 WIAC Pick'Em Tri-Champion

Ralph Turner

Round 4 -- Teams in bold that were eliminated with 2-2 records.

Auburn, New York Region Hosted by Wells College

6. Merchant Marine

Collegeville, Minnesota Region Hosted by Saint John's University (Minnesota)

5. Chapman

Decatur, Illinois Region Hosted by Millikin University

2. Webster

Hartford, Connecticut Region Hosted by Trinity College (Connecticut)

4. Salve Regina

High Point, North Carolina Region Hosted by Greensboro College and High Point Downtown Stadium Foundation

1. Salisbury Wins the Regional undefeated (4-0)

4. Lynchburg

Marietta, Ohio Region Hosted by Marietta College

6. PSU-Behrend

St. Paul, Minnesota Region Hosted by University of Northwestern-St. Paul

3. Misericordia

Whitewater, Wisconsin Region Hosted by University of Wisconsin-Whitewater

3. Texas Lutheran

Ralph Turner

Round 5 -- Teams that were eliminated with 3-2 records are in italics. Teams that won the regional in round 5 with a 4-1 record are in bold.

Auburn, New York Region Hosted by Wells College

2. SUNY Cortland  (4-1)

5. Tufts (3-2)

Collegeville, Minnesota Region Hosted by Saint John's University (Minnesota)

1. St Thomas won the regional with a 5-1 record

4. Pacific  (3-2)

Decatur, Illinois Region Hosted by Millikin University

1. WashUStL wins the Regional with a record of 4-1.

3. Denison wins game 5 versus WashUStL but loses Game 6 (4-2)

Hartford, Connecticut Region Hosted by Trinity College (Connecticut)

1. Southern Maine  (3-2)

3. Wheaton MA  (4-1)

High Point, North Carolina Region Hosted by Greensboro College and High Point Downtown Stadium Foundation

5. Birmingham-Southern  (3-2)

Marietta, Ohio Region Hosted by Marietta College

1. Rowan  (4-1)

2. Marietta  (3-2) 

St. Paul, Minnesota Region Hosted by University of Northwestern-St. Paul

4. Northwestern MN  (3-2)

6. Johns Hopkins (4-1)

Whitewater, Wisconsin Region Hosted by University of Wisconsin-Whitewater

1. Adrian (4-1)

2. UW-Whitewater  (3-2)

Corrections appreciated

Ralph Turner

First 2 eliminated in Cedar Rapids:

JHU and Rowan.

Ralph Turner

On day #3, Adrian was eliminated from the top bracket.

In their 5th straight come from behind win, extending back to the 2 Pacific games, the Tommies beat Wash U, 6-4, to win the bracket.

Next up Cortland versus Wheaton MA, in an elimination game for both teams, winner playing Salisbury.

Ron Boerger

Congratulations to Salisbury for ensuring there will be a defending champion next season in D3.

MRMIKESMITH

Congrats to Salisbury on an awesome baseball season and winning their first national championship. 34-4 and undefeated in World Series play is an awesome achievement.

houdini

Found this article about the D3 series written by a former Wash U pitcher. 

https://www.foxsports.com/stories/mlb/jake-mintz-division-iii-world-series-cedar-rapids-washu-salisbury-johns-hopkins

I could see on the webcast that there were hardly any fans there and in addition to some good baseball stuff he has some interesting observations about the event:

"The crowd at Cedar Rapids stands out above the melt. I'd say the average attendance at the ballyard hovered around 200 people, but 95% of those humans were part of the entourage for one of the eight teams."

"And unlike Appleton, Wisconsin, the town that hosted the D-III World Series for almost 20 years before 2019 and treated it like a big event that mattered to locals, the city of Cedar Rapids had practically no idea the World Series was going on."

This made me think back to when two teams from Texas were playing for a championship in the middle of a weekday in Appleton and some on here complaining about the attendance.  At least Appleton had a few casual fans and the crowds on the first few days were usually okay.  It drew well if there was a WIAC team involved.  I don't know what factor Covid played in it, but it looked like every game in Cedar Rapids (in 2019 as well) was a friends and family crowd.

Jim Dixon

That  the game is not adopted by the local fans (they were waiting for the Kernals to return), is a sign that the tour in Cedar Rapids will be short. On the Cleveland.