MBB: American Rivers Conference

Started by sidelines, May 02, 2005, 09:03:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alfredeneumann

BV has found their new coach, Todd Lorensen. "pending successful completion of a standard background check."

"Lorensen just recently completed his fourth season as head men's basketball coach at Southwestern Community College in Creston, Iowa, where he quickly became one of the storied head coaches in the program's recent history. "

http://www.bvuathletics.com/sports/mbkb/2017-18/releases/20180410gwvm2o

My ? - Why not wait until AFTER background check to announce?
Aaron Kampman on Coach Ed Thomas
I believe his greatest legacy comes not in how many football games he won or lost but in the fact that he was a committed follower of Jesus Christ.

doolittledog

Quote from: Alfredeneumann on April 12, 2018, 08:58:23 AM
BV has found their new coach, Todd Lorensen. "pending successful completion of a standard background check."

"Lorensen just recently completed his fourth season as head men's basketball coach at Southwestern Community College in Creston, Iowa, where he quickly became one of the storied head coaches in the program's recent history. "

I thought the same thing about waiting until after the background check.  But I wonder if in this age of instant news, BVU needed to release a statement now because message boards, twitter, facebook, snapchat and what not would be talking about his hiring sooner rather than later. 
Coach Finstock - "There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that and everything else is cream cheese."

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

I have found background checks can last from 2 to 10 days and thus.. the news would get out. I think the comment is less common than it used to be as well ... or the background checks are taking place during the interview process at some schools (which is what I would think would be the better option). In other words, I think some hires are taking place without worrying about adding the "background check" comment while it is going on anyway.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Gregory Sager

Quote from: doolittledog on April 12, 2018, 10:17:14 AM

I thought the same thing about waiting until after the background check.  But I wonder if in this age of instant news, BVU needed to release a statement now because message boards, twitter, facebook, snapchat and what not would be talking about his hiring sooner rather than later. 

... except that, if the prospective new coach turns out to have a criminal past, the school ends up with egg on its face -- whereas, if the school waited until the background check was completed before the prospective new coach was announced, it can always claim, truthfully and contra any social-media leakers, that said coach had never been hired in the first place, thereby preventing a public relations disaster.

Making an official announcement gives a hiring a public-relations imprimatur, even if it's qualified with a hedge such as "pending successful completion of a standard background check."

One of the worst things that a school can do is to announce the hiring of a new coach before thoroughly checking the coach's background. In 2001 George O'Leary, who had coached my high school's football team when I was a student there, and who later had extended tenures as the head football coach at Georgia Tech and Central Florida, was hired by Notre Dame to be its new head coach. Within days, the Manchester Union-Leader discovered that, contrary to O'Leary's claim, he had never played for the University of New Hampshire when he was an undergraduate there. Furthermore, he had also lied on his resume about his master's degree, claiming to have received one from the fictional "NYU-Stony Brook" when in fact he didn't have a master's degree at all. Notre Dame was forced to fire him less than a week after hiring him, to its great embarrassment.

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on April 12, 2018, 12:42:38 PM
I have found background checks can last from 2 to 10 days and thus.. the news would get out. I think the comment is less common than it used to be as well ... or the background checks are taking place during the interview process at some schools (which is what I would think would be the better option). In other words, I think some hires are taking place without worrying about adding the "background check" comment while it is going on anyway.

My impression is that having the background-check process take place during the interview phase is standard procedure at most schools.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

doolittledog

To put an IIAC spin on your George O'Leary part of the story.  He did play college football...at the University of Dubuque, for two years before transferring to New Hampshire and was not a part of the football team at that school. 
Coach Finstock - "There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that and everything else is cream cheese."

WUPHF

I would have to think though that Buena Vista also runs a background check only after the hire is made.  I am referring to the background checks that are little more than credit checks.  It is unlikely that they would have run this on all the candidates, but it is likely that they will run one on the hire.

I had to delay my last start date by almost three weeks while waiting for the background check because they did not like one of my previous addresses.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: Gregory Sager on April 12, 2018, 01:23:03 PM
Quote from: doolittledog on April 12, 2018, 10:17:14 AM

... except that, if the prospective new coach turns out to have a criminal past, the school ends up with egg on its face -- whereas, if the school waited until the background check was completed before the prospective new coach was announced, it can always claim, truthfully and contra any social-media leakers, that said coach had never been hired in the first place, thereby preventing a public relations disaster.

Making an official announcement gives a hiring a public-relations imprimatur, even if it's qualified with a hedge such as "pending successful completion of a standard background check."

One of the worst things that a school can do is to announce the hiring of a new coach before thoroughly checking the coach's background. In 2001 George O'Leary, who had coached my high school's football team when I was a student there, and who later had extended tenures as the head football coach at Georgia Tech and Central Florida, was hired by Notre Dame to be its new head coach. Within days, the Manchester Union-Leader discovered that, contrary to O'Leary's claim, he had never played for the University of New Hampshire when he was an undergraduate there. Furthermore, he had also lied on his resume about his master's degree, claiming to have received one from the fictional "NYU-Stony Brook" when in fact he didn't have a master's degree at all. Notre Dame was forced to fire him less than a week after hiring him, to its great embarrassment.

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on April 12, 2018, 12:42:38 PM

My impression is that having the background-check process take place during the interview phase is standard procedure at most schools.

Yes - I have found more schools are doing this during the interview process now-a-days. Once in a while, like this case, I find that it takes place after the decision is made and the person has, tentatively, accepted (my alma mater was another example; took them ten days between the school telling selected alumni and the official announcement).

I think some schools also go for it despite the risk of "egg on their face" because they are quite confident of the hire and no background issues. Sometimes there is a timing thing involved and they know that the information getting out sooner rather than later would be helpful.

I don't disagree that the "egg on their face" occurrence could ... occur, but again as I stated, I think more schools are also doing this far more in advance than in the past ... so the statement in the BVU release is both less common and usually not even uttered.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Gregory Sager

Quote from: doolittledog on April 12, 2018, 01:58:37 PM
To put an IIAC spin on your George O'Leary part of the story.  He did play college football...at the University of Dubuque, for two years before transferring to New Hampshire and was not a part of the football team at that school. 

What a weird coincidence! :o

Quote from: WUPHF on April 12, 2018, 02:09:59 PM
I would have to think though that Buena Vista also runs a background check only after the hire is made.  I am referring to the background checks that are little more than credit checks.  It is unlikely that they would have run this on all the candidates, but it is likely that they will run one on the hire.

I had to delay my last start date by almost three weeks while waiting for the background check because they did not like one of my previous addresses.

Yeah, the background check that I meant is the criminal background check. That's the one with which I'm familiar, because as part of my job I have to request them and have them processed by a security company. But, as I implied with the O'Leary example, résumé verification ought to be a part of the due diligence expected of any school's human resources department.

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on April 12, 2018, 02:34:10 PMI think some schools also go for it despite the risk of "egg on their face" because they are quite confident of the hire and no background issues.

Famous last words: "We are quite confident of the hire, and he has no background issues."  ;)

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on April 12, 2018, 02:34:10 PM
Sometimes there is a timing thing involved and they know that the information getting out sooner rather than later would be helpful.

Yeah, I can see that being a relevant issue in some cases. Good point. It's still risky, though. Not that background checks are foolproof, but they are necessary. Whether they're significant or insignificant, everybody has skeletons in his or her closet ... and certain skeletons ought to be deal-breakers.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

I also wonder if it's perhaps, a more thorough background check that involves some permissions and access by the new coach themselves.  I could see a situation in which the coach would want a contingent contract in that scenario - one that lays out the types of things that would prevent them from getting the job - before opening up their life to added scrutiny.

I have no idea what schools would ask for these days, but if they're looking into finances or health or something like that, you might want it all spelled out on paper first.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

Alfredeneumann

Aaron Kampman on Coach Ed Thomas
I believe his greatest legacy comes not in how many football games he won or lost but in the fact that he was a committed follower of Jesus Christ.

rlgyank

The IIAC is now the American Rivers Conference. Do we get a new thread or stay on this one????? :-)

Pat Coleman

Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

dunkin3117

Season is just under a month away and I, for one, can't wait to see what this league brings to the table this year.  I know it gets said every year, but the balance this season and the national attention NWU will bring make for exciting 5-6 months. 

Anybody have insight on how their teams are looking? 

BLynn

The Plainsmen, ah, the Prairie Wolves will dominate this year.

dunkin3117

There are a couple of teams that could give NWU a run for their money.  Loras split with them last year and returns all but 1 from last years roster.  New coaches always seem to do well in the league, it will be hard to count out BV in giving them fits.