MBB: Coast 2 Coast Athletic Conference

Started by Mr. Ypsi, March 27, 2005, 10:16:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CNU85

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on March 10, 2019, 09:29:04 PM
Sad news from Salisbury. Jack Ferguson, who was diagnosed with cancer seven months ago, died this morning. My thoughts are with the team.

Sad news indeed. Thanks for the update. Praying for strength for his family.

Greek Tragedy

Even with their top guys gone, but basically everyone else returning, I'm guessing CNU (Carter gone) and York (Bady) will rule the CAC again next season?
Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

CNU85

Quote from: Greek Tragedy on March 28, 2019, 01:50:42 PM
Even with their top guys gone, but basically everyone else returning, I'm guessing CNU (Carter gone) and York (Bady) will rule the CAC again next season?

Never count out Salisbury.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: CNU85 on April 01, 2019, 12:04:38 PM
Quote from: Greek Tragedy on March 28, 2019, 01:50:42 PM

Never count out Salisbury.

Normally, no, but I want to see who the coach is and what the recruiting class looks like first.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

CCHoopster

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Yep - it was a long dance, but it finally happened: http://www.ycpspartans.com/sports/generalreleases/York_MAC_Announcement

York has been a dedicated member of the CAC. From what I understand, this was not the first time they had been courted by the MAC (not by a long shot), but the time finally came.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Swish3

So who's left in the CAC?  I can't keep up....

sunny

Quote from: Swish3 on April 03, 2019, 08:40:42 AM

The only schools left after 2019-20 as of now are:

Salisbury
Christopher Newport
Mary Washington
St. Mary's
Southern Virginia

The first four are state schools.

Swish3

Quote from: sunny on April 03, 2019, 08:52:48 AM
Quote from: Swish3 on April 03, 2019, 08:40:42 AM

The only schools left after 2019-20 as of now are:

Salisbury
Christopher Newport
Mary Washington
St. Mary's
Southern Virginia

The first four are state schools.

Geez, this is bad...it will be interesting to see what comes of the remaining schools.  I wonder if there are any schools the CAC would attempt to lure in?

CNU85

I wasn't too worried about the future of the CAC with the schools that were left after the Frostburg and PS-H departure. I figured, a solid York, Salisbury, UMW, CNU was a good core....with SVU eventually a full ODAC member.

Now I'm worried

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

SVU is not going to the ODAC. They were in the running last off-season, but they were not selected. That door is closed. SVU might have another direction, but it isn't happening in the near future (though, I will try and chase that when some other things in my life settle down).

The CAC is not going anywhere. These schools have to stay together for a variety of reasons. Basketball goes on the two-year clock for the AQ starting next season. They will keep the AQ for two years until they get to seven-members again. If they don't, they go to the Pool B first and then get put into Pool C. To be honest, for this conference that is not a big deal.

It is going to be strange, but I also think there are some solutions out there. But as I said to someone, if this goes on for three or four years (and they get down to four teams at that point), then there needs to be a major decision made.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

CNU85

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on April 03, 2019, 12:01:05 PM
SVU is not going to the ODAC. They were in the running last off-season, but they were not selected. That door is closed. SVU might have another direction, but it isn't happening in the near future (though, I will try and chase that when some other things in my life settle down).

The CAC is not going anywhere. These schools have to stay together for a variety of reasons. Basketball goes on the two-year clock for the AQ starting next season. They will keep the AQ for two years until they get to seven-members again. If they don't, they go to the Pool B first and then get put into Pool C. To be honest, for this conference that is not a big deal.

It is going to be strange, but I also think there are some solutions out there. But as I said to someone, if this goes on for three or four years (and they get down to four teams at that point), then there needs to be a major decision made.

Good points. My worry comes from the thought that other CAC schools, in similar fashion to York, are looking years down the road and looking to find a home sooner rather than later. Plan A is/was to keep the CAC together, and all schools are working on that. But I'm willing to bet every school is working a Plan B. And when a viable Plan B presents itself, they will take it.

MW_Eagles

I'm trying to wrap my head around scheduling with a 5 team league.   I'd imagine you'd have to play every team more than twice as out of conference games would be hard to schedule once the regular sized conferences get into their conference schedules.   Do you play each team 3 or 4 times per season?  Looking across VA and MD, I don't see a lot of teams as possibilities.  Should be interesting to watch. 

CNU85

Quote from: MW_Eagles on April 04, 2019, 07:58:08 AM
I'm trying to wrap my head around scheduling with a 5 team league.   I'd imagine you'd have to play every team more than twice as out of conference games would be hard to schedule once the regular sized conferences get into their conference schedules.   Do you play each team 3 or 4 times per season?  Looking across VA and MD, I don't see a lot of teams as possibilities.  Should be interesting to watch.

I wonder how independents handle it? I remember reading about how Thomas More was handling this year. But wonder how independents handle it year after year. Also, look at the American Collegiate (ACAC), currently a 6 team conference including Thomas More. They didn't play any conference games. Also, I see that the teams are put into regions, not the conference, as they are scattered all over. Not sure what benefits of having that conference are. Just seems like the conference name could be "Independents" and nothing would change. D-Mac can set me straight on that (In fact, there may even be write ups about it already that I just missed).  Some in the ACAC didn't play 25 games. And most played non DIII schools once January rolled around. Valley Forge managed to play DIII schools but they are in the middle of a ton of options that enable them to sneak in a game here and there.

Question - can a conference not play regular season conference games and yet still have an AQ from a conference tournament? Is that allowed?

I'm sure this will all sort itself out, but in the meantime it is fun to chat about since it is new.

Pat Coleman

You could certainly play three a triple round-robin, although that would be unusual and probably not popular with coaches. Then again, to play just the eight conference games leaves you with 17 games to fill. Not impossible, but certainly difficult. They could try to enter a scheduling agreement with some other conference, especially if there is one in the area with an odd number of teams, necessitating byes.

Playing eight conference games means you could hold off beginning your conference play until late January and get all your conference games with ease, and you'd have a reasonable shot at getting non-conference games up until the beginning of January. You could give someone like Valley Forge the opportunity to play each of your teams twice, without necessarily granting them conference membership. (Finlandia did this with the UMAC for a couple of years.)

The benefits of the ACAA are pretty minimal -- let your kids compete in a conference tournament, get weekly conference honors and be on an all-conference team. It doesn't really help with scheduling.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.