Author Topic: MBB: Old Dominion Athletic Conference  (Read 1686987 times)

Offline jknezek

• All-American
    • View Profile
Re: MBB: Old Dominion Athletic Conference
« Reply #18285 on: March 20, 2018, 11:54:20 am »

In 1996 I complied a list of all d1 men's basketball coaches who went to a d3 school.  There were 54 then.  I'm sure there have been a lot of changes in two season, but there's usually a pretty solid amount.

Hmm... 2 seasons or 2 decades? I'm guessing you are living in the past and meant to type 2016...

Offline Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

• All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #18286 on: March 20, 2018, 04:14:34 pm »

In 1996 I complied a list of all d1 men's basketball coaches who went to a d3 school.  There were 54 then.  I'm sure there have been a lot of changes in two season, but there's usually a pretty solid amount.

Hmm... 2 seasons or 2 decades? I'm guessing you are living in the past and meant to type 2016...

I have no idea where that number came from - it was 2016.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

Offline y_jack_lok

• All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #18287 on: March 20, 2018, 05:47:53 pm »

Head coaches only, or did your count include assistants as well?

• All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #18288 on: March 20, 2018, 05:57:37 pm »

Head coaches only, or did your count include assistants as well?

Head coaches was enough work. Assistants would've been near impossible.

Offline Seatfiller

• Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18289 on: April 02, 2018, 09:25:08 am »
Congratulations to UMBC and their Head Coach, Ryan Odom, on the first ever #16 win over a #1 as the Retrievers beat the UVA Cavaliers, 74-54.  For those of you who don't know, Ryan Odom was a guard for the Hampden-Sydney Tigers from 1992-96.  Ryan is the son of former WFU and South Carolina HC, Dave Odom, who played at Guilford and graduated in 1965.

The Buffalo coach played at Maranatha Baptist - two d3 guys with big upsets in the d1 tourney.

That's awesome. Does anyone know how many former D3 players, assistant coaches, head coaches are now coaching/working in some capacity in D1 basketball programs? R-MC did this article a few days ago -- and it doesn't include Mike Rhoades: http://rmcathletics.com/sports/mbkb/2017-18/releases/R-MC_in_NCAA_Tourney.

I also wonder to what extent this phenomenon plays out in other sports -- e.g. football and the W&L coach going to Davidson.

Probably a lot. DIII guys are well suited to become coaches. Namely because they are really good athletes that play at really high levels, but they aren't the kind of athletes that can just get by on athleticism an natural talent. They need to know the game, inside and out, because if they really were athletic enough just to dominate, they wouldn't have been in DIII. Undersized, a little under speed, guys that learn how to be in the right place at the right time, they can communicate these techniques. The guys that could always just dominate with athleticism, not so much. They never needed to learn the minutia and they have a harder time coaching because it's hard to pass on what comes naturally to you.

This man knows his basketball. This is a 100% correct.

• All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #18290 on: April 15, 2018, 07:45:28 am »

Just noticed Delaware named it's all-state team.  One of the members, Ian Robertson, from Cape Henlopen, is committed to RMC.  He's 6'6" 220 averaged 21 and 10 with 2 blocks per game last year.  I haven't seen him play, but that seems like a decent get.

Offline y_jack_lok

• All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #18291 on: April 15, 2018, 11:00:43 pm »

Just noticed Delaware named it's all-state team.  One of the members, Ian Robertson, from Cape Henlopen, is committed to RMC.  He's 6'6" 220 averaged 21 and 10 with 2 blocks per game last year.  I haven't seen him play, but that seems like a decent get.

Thanks for that info.