MBB: Old Dominion Athletic Conference

Started by steelyglen, February 15, 2005, 09:11:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jknezek

Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on March 20, 2018, 11:25:55 AM

In 1996 I complied a list of all d1 men's basketball coaches who went to a d3 school.  There were 54 then.  I'm sure there have been a lot of changes in two season, but there's usually a pretty solid amount.

Hmm... 2 seasons or 2 decades? I'm guessing you are living in the past and meant to type 2016...

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: jknezek on March 20, 2018, 11:54:20 AM

In 1996 I complied a list of all d1 men's basketball coaches who went to a d3 school.  There were 54 then.  I'm sure there have been a lot of changes in two season, but there's usually a pretty solid amount.

Hmm... 2 seasons or 2 decades? I'm guessing you are living in the past and meant to type 2016...

I have no idea where that number came from - it was 2016.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

y_jack_lok

Head coaches only, or did your count include assistants as well?

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: y_jack_lok on March 20, 2018, 05:47:53 PM

Head coaches only, or did your count include assistants as well?

Head coaches was enough work. Assistants would've been near impossible.

Seatfiller

Quote from: jknezek on March 17, 2018, 03:23:03 PM
Quote from: y_jack_lok on March 17, 2018, 10:31:27 AM
Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on March 17, 2018, 02:09:15 AM
Quote from: hasanova on March 16, 2018, 11:43:10 PM
Congratulations to UMBC and their Head Coach, Ryan Odom, on the first ever #16 win over a #1 as the Retrievers beat the UVA Cavaliers, 74-54.  For those of you who don't know, Ryan Odom was a guard for the Hampden-Sydney Tigers from 1992-96.  Ryan is the son of former WFU and South Carolina HC, Dave Odom, who played at Guilford and graduated in 1965.

The Buffalo coach played at Maranatha Baptist - two d3 guys with big upsets in the d1 tourney.

That's awesome. Does anyone know how many former D3 players, assistant coaches, head coaches are now coaching/working in some capacity in D1 basketball programs? R-MC did this article a few days ago -- and it doesn't include Mike Rhoades: http://rmcathletics.com/sports/mbkb/2017-18/releases/R-MC_in_NCAA_Tourney.

I also wonder to what extent this phenomenon plays out in other sports -- e.g. football and the W&L coach going to Davidson.

Probably a lot. DIII guys are well suited to become coaches. Namely because they are really good athletes that play at really high levels, but they aren't the kind of athletes that can just get by on athleticism an natural talent. They need to know the game, inside and out, because if they really were athletic enough just to dominate, they wouldn't have been in DIII. Undersized, a little under speed, guys that learn how to be in the right place at the right time, they can communicate these techniques. The guys that could always just dominate with athleticism, not so much. They never needed to learn the minutia and they have a harder time coaching because it's hard to pass on what comes naturally to you.

This man knows his basketball. This is a 100% correct.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Just noticed Delaware named it's all-state team.  One of the members, Ian Robertson, from Cape Henlopen, is committed to RMC.  He's 6'6" 220 averaged 21 and 10 with 2 blocks per game last year.  I haven't seen him play, but that seems like a decent get.

y_jack_lok

Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on April 15, 2018, 07:45:28 AM

Just noticed Delaware named it's all-state team.  One of the members, Ian Robertson, from Cape Henlopen, is committed to RMC.  He's 6'6" 220 averaged 21 and 10 with 2 blocks per game last year.  I haven't seen him play, but that seems like a decent get.

Thanks for that info.

jknezek

While it's a long way to basketball season, I'm going to drop a note for anyone heading to W&L this year. Games will not be played in the under construction gymnasium. They have built a very nice temporary facility for basketball, volleyball and wrestling out at the indoor Duchossois Tennis Center. I wouldn't expect a great atmosphere, but I'm not sure there has ever been all that much atmosphere at W&L basketball games.

hasanova

Quote from: jknezek on August 28, 2018, 11:03:21 AM
While it's a long way to basketball season, I'm going to drop a note for anyone heading to W&L this year. Games will not be played in the under construction gymnasium. They have built a very nice temporary facility for basketball, volleyball and wrestling out at the indoor Duchossois Tennis Center. I wouldn't expect a great atmosphere, but I'm not sure there has ever been all that much atmosphere at W&L basketball games.
Thanks for the heads up.

hasanova

Another name change in the ODAC as Lynchburg College officially changed their name to the University of Lynchburg in July.  I guess they didn't want to go with Lynchburg University and allow the LU moniker to be confused with intracity Liberty University, which is already regularly abbreviated as LU.

I still haven't started calling Virginia Wesleyan VWU!

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: hasanova on September 03, 2018, 01:25:01 PM
Another name change in the ODAC as Lynchburg College officially changed their name to the University of Lynchburg in July.  I guess they didn't want to go with Lynchburg University and allow the LU moniker to be confused with intracity Liberty University, which is already regularly abbreviated as LU.

That is exactly why they didn't go with LU ... friend of mine is on the Board of Trustees (I think LOL) and I was talking to their SID department this summer.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

hasanova

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on September 03, 2018, 09:14:02 PM
Quote from: hasanova on September 03, 2018, 01:25:01 PM

That is exactly why they didn't go with LU ... friend of mine is on the Board of Trustees (I think LOL) and I was talking to their SID department this summer.
I strongly suspected this was the case. 

hasanova

Ive heard from knowledgeable sources that Guilford will have exhibition games at both Iowa (Nov. 4) and High Point.

guest323

as in it's on both iowa and high point u's websites?