MBB: NESCAC

Started by cameltime, April 27, 2005, 02:38:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WUPHF

Quote from: nescac1 on August 28, 2018, 04:55:29 PM
Imagine MIT or Wash U. adding a stud grad student who wants to leverage hoops for a second top-tier degree, for example!

I can imagine this, yes.

I am not sure about former Transylvania guard Dillion Pulliam, but after two years on the University of Kentucky scout team, I am sure Carnegie Mellon would be interested, though Kentucky probably offers the degree he is pursuing at Carnegie Mellon so...

ContinentalDomer

Quote from: nyhoopstalk on July 16, 2018, 08:33:10 PM

Adding two more to the list of Hamilton frosh:

Eric Anderson - 6'6" forward, Phillips Exeter Academy (Santa Barbara, CA)
Elliott Tirbaso - 6'3" guard, St. Edward HS (Medina, OH)

Quote from: nescac1 on May 21, 2018, 11:32:38 AM
With a bunch more recruits added in recent weeks, I thought I'd finalize the list of known NESCAC recruits coming in next year (with the caveat that there are surely plenty more):

2018 NESCAC Recruits

Amherst: Devonn Allen, PG, Wilbraham & Monson; Will Phelan, Wing, St. Sebastians; Michael Schretter, C, Ridgewood (NJ)

Bates: Cole Phaire, SG, Dunbar H.S. (D.C.); Kehine Aruwajoye, C, Avon Old Farms; Andrew Snoddy, F, Rivers School; Joe Collins, W, Groton School

Bowdoin: Caleb Cost, SG, Willison Northampton; Morgan Edwards, G, Mountain Ridge (MD)

Colby: Noah Tyson, Wing, Rutland (VT); Walter Lum, PG, Lick-Wilmerding (CA); Sam Onche, F, Contra Costa Christian (CA)

Conn: Ryan Omslaer, C, Woodstock Academy (CT); Matt Carlin, F, Worcester Academy

Hamilton: Nick Osarenren, Wing, Deerfield Academy

Middlebury: Alex Sobel, C, Melville (NY); Nash Goldman, G, Scarsdale (NY)

Trinity: Max Brigham, F, Westminster; Jared Whitt, C, South Kent School; Mason Roberts, C, Tivy (TX)

Tufts: Tyler Aronson, G, Rivers School; Carson Cohen, PG, Fox Chappell (PA)

Wesleyan: Shackylle Dezonie, Wing, Hudson Catholic (NJ); Sam Peek, Wing, Trinity Pauling (NY); Jens Ulrich-Verderber, F, BFA St. Albans (VT)

Williams: Jovan Jones, Wing, Belmont Hill; Ryan Moon, PG, Bishop McGuiness (NC); Spencer Spivy, SG, University (CA); Tyler Spiezio, F, Morris (IL) (football recruit / possible walk-on)

Is it safe to say Williams and Hamilton will be the class of the NESCAC this winter? I will be following the NESCAC pretty intently this year with a couple former players sprinkled amongst a few of the teams in the conference.

nescac1

Nice ContintenalDomer, I figured Hamilton had a few more.  Hamilton keeps loading up on guys in that 6'3-6'6 range, not surprising given that they usually play 3-4, sometimes 5, wings on the floor together. 

This is always wildly speculative, but based on what I've read and heard the frosh who seem most likely to make a big, early impact on the league are Phelan at Amherst, Aruwajoye at Bates, Omslaer at Conn, Whitt at Trinity, Aronson at Tufts, Peek at Wesleyan, and Jones and Spivy at Williams.  I think there is a pretty good chance that several of those guys emerge as ROY candidates. 

Based on returning talent -- Hamilton has everyone of consequence back including Gilmour who looks poised to compete for all-American honors, and Williams returns two first-team all conference guys including the POY plus gets a third player of similar talent back in Scadlock -- Williams and Hamilton are clearly the teams to beat heading into the season.  Wesleyan, Midd, Amherst and Bowdoin could all also be in he mix as contenders, none would surprise me as top-3 teams in the league next year.   

I do think the bottom of NESCAC is stronger than it has been in recent years and we could see a really competitive league season.  Conn could have an enormous, and really tough, frontcourt (albeit still a very weak perimeter game) with Omslaer joining Drafan and Labossieri.  And Colby with basically everyone back from a very young team that had some key injuries should be dramatically improved. 

nescac1

Not a NESCAC story, but Brandeis was a leading rival of NESCAC schools in the northeast for a good chunk of Meehan's tenure.  Crazy stuff:

https://deadspin.com/brandeis-cleans-house-after-investigation-into-basketba-1828811340

nescac1

First (?) NESCAC player in the class of '23?  Kevin O'boy headed to Colby.  A shooter who played with the Ephs' Jovan Jones in high school.

https://twitter.com/nerrhoops/status/1038493281032843264?s=21

JustAFan

Williams Coach App announced the Ephs 2018/2019 schedule in his recent fall newsletter and it is a challenging out of conference schedule.  Of particular note is the Ephs hosting Albertus Magnus in late January. 

Williams opens up against always tough Salem State and then spends a good deal of November and December on the road, with challenging away games at Yeshiva, Wesleyan and Springfield as well as road trips to Manhattanville and Fitchburg State before December exams.  It's also good to see Union on the Ephs schedule for another year in what will hopefully become a regular contest and a renewal of a great rivalry.  Expect a vocal contingent from Schenectady to travel to Chandler gym for that game.

The Ephs return from the holiday break with a challenging weekend visit to Moravian College, where they will face Montclair State from the NJAC on Sunday, Dec. 30 and Moravian on Monday Dec. 31st. The weekend series could feature 4 potential NCAA tournament bound teams as Montclair State takes on Virginia Wesleyan in the other opening game. Moravian travelled to Williamstown in the opening round of the NCAA tournament last year, where they lost to the NJAC champ, Ramapo. 

It looks like Coach App intends to challenge his experienced team early and often.

nescac1

Interesting JustAFan.  That sounds like one of the tougher Eph schedules in recent memory -- which is a good thing, because this team looks pretty loaded 1-10, and this is the year to compete against as many elite teams as possible.  While returning Final Four teams Springfield, Wesleyan, and Moravian are all big-name tournment-tested opponents in the Fall, the Yeshiva game should also be really interesting -- Yeshiva returns everyone from a very solid NCAA squad, and adds one of the more hyped frosh in recent D3 history, Ryan Turell, who scored 2800 points in high school and turned down around five D1 scholarship offers.  Williams has a few highly-regarded frosh of its own, so it should be fun to watch them compete. 

middhoops

Watched a Midd team scrimmage last night.  Oh, how nice to see college boys playing hoops at full speed again!  Almost makes me look forward to the darkness and cold temps that usher in basketball season.  Almost.

Let me take this awkward opportunity to thank the posters on this board for your civility and maturity.  A glance at the NESCAC football board, and a whole different set of posters (you're not included, amh63/nescac1) reminds one that we respect each other, here.
Perhaps we have fewer parents of current players and a broader appreciation for all the teams.  Whatever it is; thank you all.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: middhoops on September 19, 2018, 07:38:10 AM
Watched a Midd team scrimmage last night.

I'm sure you meant a "student organized game of pick-up basketball that was unbeknownst to coaches or staff and would, technically, be open to all students, if the need or desire arose, but somehow featured only members of the basketball team."  That "s" word can get you in trouble.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

middhoops

Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on September 20, 2018, 06:54:13 AM

I'm sure you meant a "student organized game of pick-up basketball that was unbeknownst to coaches or staff and would, technically, be open to all students, if the need or desire arose, but somehow featured only members of the basketball team."  That "s" word can get you in trouble.
Ok, poor choice of words.  Most people on this board know how team organized pick up games work in the preseason.
To be sure there was a mix of kids there, many of whom are never going to play on a college team.  No coaches or staff; just lucky old me.
Some players I most hoped to see were attending classes. 

Pat Coleman

Quote from: middhoops on September 20, 2018, 08:37:48 AM

Ok, poor choice of words.  Most people on this board know how team organized pick up games work in the preseason.
To be sure there was a mix of kids there, many of whom are never going to play on a college team.  No coaches or staff; just lucky old me.

Open gym. :)
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: Pat Coleman on September 20, 2018, 11:43:20 AM
Quote from: middhoops on September 20, 2018, 08:37:48 AM

Open gym. :)

Remember middhoops... there is still a multi-year "investigation" on going about "scrimmages" or "open gyms." One would argue "most people" even on this board(s) don't know the difference ;)
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

middhoops

On second thought, my memory is bad. 
I was out tipping cows that evening. 
The basketball thing turns out to have been only a very pleasant dream.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Pat Coleman

Wait, we need to get Gordon Mann in here so we can all pile on that one post.  ???  :'(
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.