MBB: NESCAC

Started by cameltime, April 27, 2005, 02:38:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nescac1

Speaking of NESCAC schedules Amherst has one of its weakest in recent memory:

http://athletics.amherst.edu/sports/mbkb/2018-19/schedule

15 out of 24 at home!  Considering Babson figures to be way down this year (loses by far its two best players from a mediocre team), there is a good chance at Springfield will be Amherst's only real test until the Trinity game.  It's not entirely Amherst's fault as it is hitting some of its usual opponents in what I imagine will be down years (Brandeis obviously, Babson as I mentioned, and Eastern Conn figures to be in a rebuilding year), but still, weak sauce.  If the Jeffs have any more than two losses through January 11, it would be a major let-down.  With a schedule like that, the Jeffs might have to get up to around 22-23 wins for a Pool C bid. 

Middlebury on the other hand has a consistently tough schedule with some great non-league games: Endicott, Keene (which figure to be the class of the Little East this year), Plattsburgh, Skidmore, and Swarthmore all figure to be very tough outs this year, and even Widener, Morrisville State, Albertus Magnus and maybe Hilbert look quite challenging as road trips.  Very legit.  And man Midd is gonna spend a LOT of hours on the bus this year ... many long, difficult road trips - the December schedule and the stretch of five straight on the road in January is especially tough.  After what should be a cakewalk opening weekend, the Panthers barely get a breather all year.  Kudos to Jeff Brown but surprised he put together such a brutal lineup for what figures to be a fairly young Panther squad. 

http://athletics.middlebury.edu/sports/mbkb/2018-19/schedule

amh63

Middhoops does have a very poor memory!  He was on a road trip with his cousin to a Tourny in Ct.  several years ago.  I gave him directions but they went the wrong way at a key junction.  His driver saved the day.  Yes, Middhoops likes to tip a few and purple colored cows after a few more.

MiddWatcher

A bit tough on Babson ... a few injuries have hurt them, but I know they have several coming in and they do have a culture of success. Their FH team was at Midd yesterday and it was like a Final Four game in September. Very impressive. Re: Midd bkb - Coach B is a big proponent of double round robin in NESCAC for obvious reasons. He scrambles for every game he can get; and has had to endure some fairly close by teams who have dropped Midd since they became a more national name in men's hoop. Tough part of his job. Did catch some of the Midd open gym last week - watched about 10 returnees, and 12 more intramural / chem lab guys running up and down. Definitely not a " team scrimmage " - for those who were wondering : )  Would venture that Midd is not really " young " - maybe in terms of limited varsity playing time experience while at Middlebury - but there are several returning players with significant pedigrees from earlier days of playing in highly competitive hs and prep school leagues - who have simply not played yet.  Midd followers should retain optimism. There are some people who can compete who have been waiting their chance.  Just speculation from this Watcher of Midd. Will leave it to hear from the veterans of this board ( like Old Guy ) for more in depth investigation !

ContinentalDomer

Hamilton's schedule is up:

https://athletics.hamilton.edu/sports/mbkb/2018-19/schedule

NESCAC road trips include Wesleyan/Conn and Middlebury/Williams. Last year, Hamilton played 6 road games. This year, the Continentals will play 6 at home.

Hamilton will participate in 3 tournaments prior to Jan 1 - home opening weekend, Thanksgiving weekend in Pittsburgh (v Transylvania St, then v winner of Carnegie Mellon/Frostburg), and late December at Daytona v Ursinus and Ithaca.  A road game at Johnson and Wales and a home game v Keene St jump out as good match-ups. Utica has a good team, just missing the automatic NCAA bid last year.

Quote from: nescac1 on September 24, 2018, 11:05:27 AM
Speaking of NESCAC schedules Amherst has one of its weakest in recent memory:

http://athletics.amherst.edu/sports/mbkb/2018-19/schedule

15 out of 24 at home!  Considering Babson figures to be way down this year (loses by far its two best players from a mediocre team), there is a good chance at Springfield will be Amherst's only real test until the Trinity game.  It's not entirely Amherst's fault as it is hitting some of its usual opponents in what I imagine will be down years (Brandeis obviously, Babson as I mentioned, and Eastern Conn figures to be in a rebuilding year), but still, weak sauce.  If the Jeffs have any more than two losses through January 11, it would be a major let-down.  With a schedule like that, the Jeffs might have to get up to around 22-23 wins for a Pool C bid. 

Middlebury on the other hand has a consistently tough schedule with some great non-league games: Endicott, Keene (which figure to be the class of the Little East this year), Plattsburgh, Skidmore, and Swarthmore all figure to be very tough outs this year, and even Widener, Morrisville State, Albertus Magnus and maybe Hilbert look quite challenging as road trips.  Very legit.  And man Midd is gonna spend a LOT of hours on the bus this year ... many long, difficult road trips - the December schedule and the stretch of five straight on the road in January is especially tough.  After what should be a cakewalk opening weekend, the Panthers barely get a breather all year.  Kudos to Jeff Brown but surprised he put together such a brutal lineup for what figures to be a fairly young Panther squad. 

http://athletics.middlebury.edu/sports/mbkb/2018-19/schedule

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: ContinentalDomer on September 26, 2018, 08:04:33 PM

NESCAC road trips include Wesleyan/Conn and Middlebury/Williams. Last year, Hamilton played 6 road games. This year, the Continentals will play 6 at home.

Hamilton will participate in 3 tournaments prior to Jan 1 - home opening weekend, Thanksgiving weekend in Pittsburgh (v Transylvania St, then v winner of Carnegie Mellon/Frostburg), and late December at Daytona v Ursinus and Ithaca.  A road game at Johnson and Wales and a home game v Keene St jump out as good match-ups. Utica has a good team, just missing the automatic NCAA bid last year.

No such thing as Transylvania State... it's just Transylvania :). It is, though, Frostburg State.  ;D
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

cantdothat

NESCAC: Any news on Brandeis HC search?

WUPHF

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

The search is wrapping up... finalists were on campus this week and visits should be done soon. I'm told an offer will go out Friday, but that can always be a fluid date - I've seen it move often in other situations.

I was told there were five ... but I believe a last minute addition happened, so we are at six. A couple of head coaches, some assistant coaches. Some in DIII, some in DI.

I have names, but I am not going to share them since I don't have the entire list. I know there has been talk of a front runner, but I think that isn't necessarily accurate anymore.

We shall see.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

ContinentalDomer

Well stated!

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on September 26, 2018, 08:43:35 PM
Quote from: ContinentalDomer on September 26, 2018, 08:04:33 PM

No such thing as Transylvania State... it's just Transylvania :). It is, though, Frostburg State.  ;D

cantdothat

Tha k you NESCAC!
Big hire for the Judges.
I'm thinking they will lean towards D1 assistants.

nescac1

It has to be one of the most appealing jobs in D3.  You can essentially rebuild a program from scratch that has nowhere to go but up.  You will start with a huge reservoir of goodwill after the last fiasco.  It's a wealthy, top notch university in an appealing location with a tremendous recruiting base, in one of the top five D3 conferences.  And there is a history of post-season hoops success to point to.  Whoever gets the Brandeis job will be very well-positioned. 

Who are the NESCAC hoops alums out there who could be ready to take over a college program soon?  Not saying Brandeis, just more generally.  I think Kyle Dudley, Aaron Toomey, Brian Emerson, are all likely future head coaches.  I'm sure there are many others.   I'm not sure if Mike Crotty would want to leave his AAU gig but he seems like a strong candidate as well. 

WUPHF

Probably the biggest downside is the lack of an Athletic Director.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: WUPHF on September 28, 2018, 11:48:25 AM
Probably the biggest downside is the lack of an Athletic Director.

They have an interim AD in place and have for several weeks now. He's pretty experienced and the NESCAC folks would recognize him. :)

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: nescac1 on September 28, 2018, 09:46:01 AM
It has to be one of the most appealing jobs in D3.  You can essentially rebuild a program from scratch that has nowhere to go but up.  You will start with a huge reservoir of goodwill after the last fiasco.  It's a wealthy, top notch university in an appealing location with a tremendous recruiting base, in one of the top five D3 conferences.  And there is a history of post-season hoops success to point to.  Whoever gets the Brandeis job will be very well-positioned. 

Who are the NESCAC hoops alums out there who could be ready to take over a college program soon?  Not saying Brandeis, just more generally.  I think Kyle Dudley, Aaron Toomey, Brian Emerson, are all likely future head coaches.  I'm sure there are many others.   I'm not sure if Mike Crotty would want to leave his AAU gig but he seems like a strong candidate as well.

FYI - the assistant coaches have been retained ... and from what I was told they are to stay on staff (though, apparently negotiable).

And don't say AAU around Crotty. He preaches about how his system is different than AAU.

Quote from: cantdothat on September 28, 2018, 03:36:34 AM
Tha k you NESCAC!
Big hire for the Judges.
I'm thinking they will lean towards D1 assistants.

I don't think we know where they lean. I have heard mixed messages for awhile. They could go either way is my guess.

WUPHF

They have an interim Athletic Director, but not an Athletic Director. 

I think everyone would agree that it is a disadvantage not knowing who your boss is going to be.