MBB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by Board Mod, February 28, 2005, 11:18:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AndOne

Quote from: kenoshamark on September 17, 2018, 09:44:25 PM
So, with the IWU roster already up, I thought I would check out the Carthage site.  Not that I expected any updates as they typically don't have anything until right before the season starts.   

I was surprised to find that the roster is completely gone from the site.  Don't ever recall that before.  Normally you just see the previous year roster left up for the interim.   So, not sure what to make of that.   My first inclination was were there some defections, but if there were, no need to change the roster until the season starts.  Just can't understand why it would be completely removed.

Maybe nothing, just thought I would bring it up and see if anyone had a better take.

I've heard the Redmen are discontinuing men's basketball this season in order to divert funds to enable increasing the size of the Red Hots squad! 👯‍♀️👯‍♀️👯‍♀️  :o  ;D

kenoshamark

Dave,

Good catch.....typically it was a link on right on the main page vs. it being under the "more" link. 

Thanks

iwu70

On the IWU options, seems to me that Gregoire, given his fine play and contributions in the latter part of last season, is also almost surely a lock on a starting place, too.  As for Curry vs. Baker, I'm sure both will see lots of PT, as the Titans need rebounding and tougher interior defense and play. (From O'Neil too).  Both are hard-nosed players, can be good in the paint, though Curry does tend to take some ill-advised shots out of his normal range and comfort zone.  He does slash and run the floor well.  I hope he's working on this and has improved his shooting range and % some over the off-season.  Baker just a good blue-collar, hard-nosed player.  I see a great upside for him when/if he gets more PT, more confidence for himself and from his teammates.  As mentioned before, IWU has plenty on the perimeter, shooting and play-making, but will need rebounding, interior defense and hopefully some good contributions to the offense as well.  Perhaps Charlie Bair or others will be a good PT options.  Time will tell.  Grant Wolfe will be an excellent PG sub, giving consistent and low-TO minutes. 

Congrats to Brady Rose on pre-season All-American mention.  Another 20 pts+ pg average would be nice.

Looking forward to seeing the new rosters up soon.

IWU'70

WUPHF

Quote from: Titan Q on September 17, 2018, 08:59:46 PM
Nick is also still at IWU.  He left the team right after last season ended I think.

I am glad to hear that he will finish where he started, even if he is not on the team.

voxelmhurst

Elmhurst's roster has been updated. In addition to Fox' departure (as previously mentioned), Lance Gardner, who played in all 25 games (14 as a starter) for the Jays and averaged nearly 8 points/game and 4.4 boards/game, is not listed on the roster. I don't have any contacts in the program anymore, so I know don't know the story here.

https://elmhurstbluejays.com/roster.aspx?roster=252&path=mbball

Gregory Sager

Elmhurst was his third school in three years. Perhaps he's on the four-schools-in-four-years plan.

They say that variety is the spice of life, so there's nothing wrong with that. The problem is that your courses don't always transfer with you, so if he attends another school this year he might find himself short of the credit hours needed to attain a degree at year's end.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: Gregory Sager on September 20, 2018, 02:08:42 PM
Elmhurst was his third school in three years. Perhaps he's on the four-schools-in-four-years plan.

They say that variety is the spice of life, so there's nothing wrong with that. The problem is that your courses don't always transfer with you, so if he attends another school this year he might find himself short of the credit hours needed to attain a degree at year's end.

That's called a stigma, Sager. ;)
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Gregory Sager

"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

AndOne

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on September 20, 2018, 02:33:02 PM
Quote from: Gregory Sager on September 20, 2018, 02:08:42 PM

They say that variety is the spice of life, so there's nothing wrong with that
. The problem is that your courses don't always transfer with you, so if he attends another school this year he might find himself short of the credit hours needed to attain a degree at year's end.

That's called a stigma, Sager. ;)

Well ya, but in his case and cases like it, there is something wrong.

What's wrong is that this is yet another case of a kid who thinks he is the next MJ, and is obviously in school to play basketball first, and be a "student" in name only because he has to be one in order to play.
That he made a 1 year pit stop at a quality school like EC is surprising. What wouldn't be surprising would be to see him show up this season at a school with a history of regularly taking transfer athletes with only one year of eligibility remaining (especially if the kid has already been at more than one other school), of taking kids who either couldn't get in a 4 year school coming out of HS or did but then had academic problems, or is a school with more of a reputation for being a "basketball factory" than as being a good academic institution.

The stigma of being an athletic rental as opposed to being a student-athlete.

AndOne

Quote from: voxelmhurst on September 20, 2018, 01:49:23 PM
Elmhurst's roster has been updated. In addition to Fox' departure (as previously mentioned), Lance Gardner, who played in all 25 games (14 as a starter) for the Jays and averaged nearly 8 points/game and 4.4 boards/game, is not listed on the roster. I don't have any contacts in the program anymore, so I know don't know the story here.

https://elmhurstbluejays.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=5656

Elmhurst has three freshmen? THREE???
I've never seen anything like that.  :o

AndOne

With Benedictine reversing its field and returning to D3, it looks like the annual Battle of Maple Ave between BU and NCC will continue, as well as BU being a frequent opponent of several other CCIW teams!  :o  8-)

robertgoulet

Quote from: AndOne on September 23, 2018, 05:11:38 PM
With Benedictine reversing its field and returning to D3, it looks like the annual Battle of Maple Ave between BU and NCC will continue, as well as BU being a frequent opponent of several other CCIW teams!  :o  8-)

Hadn't seen this. They decided to stay in D3?
You win! You always do!

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: robertgoulet on September 24, 2018, 12:04:59 PM
Quote from: AndOne on September 23, 2018, 05:11:38 PM

Hadn't seen this. They decided to stay in D3?

Yes they have.

In the NCAC board and post on D3sports.com, D3football.com, and D3hoops.com at the very least. :)
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.